Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Your Game?

Default Get Your Game?

I was just looking through the various threads and forums and noticed alot of people are selling/asking for a copy of GTA IV. So? Did anyone get it? I did, as i went down to woolies 1st thing in the mornin

cant believe how quick they sold out, i work in woolies and we sold all our copys by 3 on the tuesday, they were even out of stock on the instore ordering by the end of the day.

My son got his delivered on Wednesday from play.com
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

cant get it anywhere. i think it is going to be a couple of weeks before any shops get it back in.
    "One more round Micky"

I got mine from woolies at 10am on Tuesday as Tesco had already sold out!.
    Must admit it is by far the best game EVER and thats from a die hard battlefield fan !!!!.
    Have loved this series from start to date, they just get better and better.

they have them on sale on amazon, If i have the right one that is dont know much about these games

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_20s0lo0dow_b
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by dandod View Post
    cant get it anywhere. i think it is going to be a couple of weeks before any shops get it back in.
    play.com
    You do not even have to pay for delivery and they are usually fast.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

I understand this game centres on violence, theft, prostitution and drugs.
    Is this a correct impression?

As someone who has owned a computer for fifteen years and never played a single game on it I am far from an expert.

However, if my information is correct then it's surely important that only adults take part in this seemingly popular passtime when it comes to 'games' like Grand Theft Auto.

I wonder just how many brain dead parents will buy copies for their younger children.
    I also wonder just how many women would bother with such a game as this.
    I'm doing a lot of wondering for a Friday, I know...not trying to stir the pot unecessarily but these passtimes are becoming important indicators of how a society is fairing behind closed doors up and down the land.

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    My son got his delivered on Wednesday from play.com
    hubby pre ordered his and was delivered also on Wednesday from play.com

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post

As someone who has owned a computer for fifteen years and never played a single game on it I am far from an expert.

However, if my information is correct then it's surely important that only adults take part in this seemingly popular passtime when it comes to 'games' like Grand Theft Auto.

I wonder just how many brain dead parents will buy copies for their younger children.
    I'm doing a lot of wondering for a Friday, I know...not trying to stir the pot unecessarily but these passtimes are becoming important indicators of how a society is fairing behind closed doors up and down the land.

it has got alot of that in it , i for one wouldnt let my son(age 6) play it and his dad will only play it when hes not around , my son had the earlierversion of it for psp that was given to him but as soon as i realised what it was like it was confiscated but must say he just seemed to run around and drive the cars he hadnt realised that you could do other things .

it might be a blessing in disguise there is supposed to be faults in the program and ther working on a patch for it it might be worth waiting a couple of months until they have rectified it so your bought disk has the patch on it

Quote Originally Posted by mums angels View Post
    it has got alot of that in it , i for one wouldnt let my son(age 6) play it and his dad will only play it when hes not around , my son had the earlierversion of it for psp that was given to him but as soon as i realised what it was like it was confiscated but must say he just seemed to run around and drive the cars he hadnt realised that you could do other things .

My son is 11 and although I don't agree with kids his age having access to these sort of games, he can play them when he's visiting friend's as not all parent's care about the game content, so they will buy it.

Originally Posted by percy toboggan

To be honest I don't see what all the fuss about the game is about, I'm looking forward to buying is asap, I've completed all the games in the series so far and I haven't turned into a prostitute, or a homicidal maniac. I'm not saying young kids should be allowed to play it, as they might be a little disturbed by it, but the majority of people from age 13 upwards aren't (I wouldn't think). There have been hundreds of millions of these games sold world wide, if they were such a bad influence do you not think someone would have noticed by now.
    And as for
    You say your not trying to stir the pot, but it seems like you've deliberately stick in an electric whisk and turned it on full power. I'm a female and I love these games. I have many friends who are also female and, not surprisingly, most of them can't wait to get their hands on a copy of this latest edition either. You say you've never played these games, yet your happy to sit and claim that these are showing how much society is deteriorating. I think millions of people who keep coming back for more of these games would have to disagree.
    Just out of curiosity, what's your favourite pass-time?
    I Was Born Brilliant; Education Ruined Me

Yeah I was up at Tesco at 5:45am and there was about 20 people waiting to get it. Played it from 6am through to 11pm. I also think parents have a bit of a duty to understand that although it is just a video game and that parents might not ever play them, they should realise that it has an 18 cetificate on it for a very good reason.

I have seen people in the news saying that it shouldent be out because of the violence in it, but at the same time it should be the responsibility of those buying it to make sure it doesn't get into the hands of children.

lol just my two cents

Not entirely, but yes, it does feature these things.

Yes. That's why it has an '18' certificate.

Many. Unfortunately. Blame the parent, not the game.

Many.

Nonsense. 18 year olds don't particularly join in too much in your perfect family all-sitting-down-together-for-Sunday-Lunch scenario anyway, and not just because they're too busy playing GTA4.

That's a rather short-sighted viewpoint, if you don't mind me saying. (Even if you do mind me saying - tough. )
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Default short sighted?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    ...That's a rather short-sighted viewpoint, if you don't mind me saying. (Even if you do mind me saying - tough. )
    No,don't hold back you can say what you like within limits imposed by the .org - I seldom, if ever take offence.

Personally , I think the short-sighted analagy might be aproropriate. For if people get their kicks by stealing imaginary cars and picking up imaginary prostitutes whilst transacting in imaginary drug deals one wonders where the myopia manifests most. Within those who indulge - who might be better served by simply smeling the roses, the coffee, or just going for a brisk walk...or within folk like me who might float concerns about nouveau leisure pursuits.

[quote=nikki;379742]...Just out of curiosity, what's your favourite pass-time?[/quote]

I like to write...opinionate...and learn (currently French) ...I also like to travel....I love to drive my car northward when I can.. My mind is full of stuff, trivial or otherwise and I'm fortunate in having an inbuilt resistance to artificial stimulants like violent video games, prostitution by proxy and nicking pretend cars.

For the lady who said her 'six year old does not play' or is not allowed to play may I breathe a heavy sigh of relieve on your childs behalf...I can see you are responsible parent...anyone who would countenance a child of such tender years taking part in this kind of activity should be locked up and sterilised.

Were I married to someone who played this kind of thing on a regular basis
    I'd have another hobby...looking for a new wife.

Strikes me that GTA 4 is a game like pulp fiction is a film - neither are real life, the game even less likely to be confused with real life because its actually a cartoon. Even given to a 13 year old this game is not likely to turn him or her into a gun wielding drug dealing prostitute using thug. The Bruce plays these games and enjoys them as a form of relaxation. He doesnt play them to the exclusion of everything else - except the washing up occasionally.... we still do the re enactment thingies, he walks, chops wood, works as a motorbike instructor - all these things are part of his life and his leisure time GTA 4 is simply another pastime.

The game is an 18 yes. If you have a responsible child who is not influenced by these things then very much so, its ok in my opinion, and to be honest if you disagree with me im frankly not interested. Most kids arent the people that see someone on a game takin drugs and go "I gotta get me some of that!" are they now? No! It CAN be a bad influence BUT if there is a problem, TAKE THE GAME AWAY. The certificate is there for a reason, dont agree with it, dont buy it, simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    The game is an 18 yes. If you have a responsible child who is not influenced by these things then very much so, its ok in my opinion, and to be honest if you disagree with me im frankly not interested. Most kids arent the people that see someone on a game takin drugs and go "I gotta get me some of that!" are they now? No! It CAN be a bad influence BUT if there is a problem, TAKE THE GAME AWAY. The certificate is there for a reason, dont agree with it, dont buy it, simple.
    You concede the 'certificate is there for a reason'
    yet you go on to contradict the reason....and you're not interested in any conter view?
    Why then would you feel motivated to float an opinion, albeit it a totally self-contradictory one. Or are you preaching here.
    It takes all sorts I suppose.

Incidentally therte is no such things as a 'responsible child' Adults have to be responsible on their behalf...part of the joy of true childhood is that responsibilities merely lie ahead. I would not want to pollute that state of childhood with adult themed games...if you can call the themes adult...I prefer the term 'dubious' at best.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Strikes me that GTA 4 is a game like pulp fiction is a film - neither are real life, the game even less likely to be confused with real life because its actually a cartoon. Even given to a 13 year old this game is not likely to turn him or her into a gun wielding drug dealing prostitute using thug. The Bruce plays these games and enjoys them as a form of relaxation. He doesnt play them to the exclusion of everything else - except the washing up occasionally.... we still do the re enactment thingies, he walks, chops wood, works as a motorbike instructor - all these things are part of his life and his leisure time GTA 4 is simply another pastime.
    I understand the graphics on this latest version of the game are incredibly lifelike. Although I'm never likely to be able to confirm this first hand. I find your overt willingness to explain participation in this 'game' as an element of a rounded life quite revealing. Almost as though an explanation is necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast