Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Autobiographies

Question Favourite Autobiographies

I love autobiographies, have read numerous over the years. Don't like biographies as they seem so impersonal and fake. Have a supply of around 4 to read over the summer. These include,

Gail Porter - Laid Bare
    Richard Hammond - On The Edge
    Jason Donovan - My story Uncut
    Peter Kay - The Sound of Laughter

Cannot read them just now as have to read college text books so time is limited.

My favourites over the years have included Ulrike Jonnsons and Dale Wintons...also Duncan Bannatyne and Richard Branson.

Whats your favourite autobiography and why?
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

The Moons a Balloon - David Niven because it was my first
    Louis Mountbatten of Burma
    Americas Queen Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis -Sarah Bradford I was fascinated by her
    Margaret Thatchers
    East & West -Chris Patten
    Serious - John Mcenroe
    Diaries of a Unfit Mother --Anne Robinson
    Eric Clapton the Autobiography

loads more but thats my favourites well for now
    Its nice to be nice

Anne X you will have to read David Niven's other one "Bring on the Empty Horses" and he also wrote a novel - I think it was "Go Slowly, Come Back Quickly".
    Michael Caine - "What's It All About?"
    Sorry these are biogs but they are fantastic "Billy" and "Bravemouth" by Pamela Stephenson
    "Kate Remembered Katharine Hepburn A Personal Biography" by A Scott Berg
    "Me" by Katharine Hepburn herself is also a great read.
    Oh and "So Me" - Graham Norton is surprisingly good.

Thumbs up Billy

I read "Billy" by Pamela Stephenson a good few years ago and was amazed at how surprisingly frank he was about his life both good times and bad. I think that Pamela herself should write her own autobiography as living with Billy must be an experience in itself.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

wifie I have read Bring on the Empty Horses but not the Novel will look out for that
    mccaugm I have read Billy by Pamela Stephenson very good also Gordon Ramsays first book is the same frank tale of his early childhood also very good
    Its nice to be nice

I'm reading Axl Rose's just now and am really enjoying it. Other favs of mine are Slash by Slash and Anthony Bozza, Ronnie by Ronnie Wood and Instant Party by Keith Moon. Complete Nutters!

I read the Gordon Ramsey and the Chris Moyles first one.
    I prefer fiction but they were both quite interesting and go through phases of autobiographies.
    But i have to say, i love the names they give them, Serious by John McEnroe, Peter Kay The Sound of Laughter. Brilliant.
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

One man Tango, Anthony Quinn.
    Pardon my Slip, Peter Ustinov.
    A lifetime in a race, Matthew Pinsent.
    The Moon's a balloon, David Niven.

'Soldier' by General Sir Mike Jackson.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Read a good one - Rougue Trooper - Richard Marchenko??? One of the first Navy Seals in the USA

Want to read Ranulph Feinnes new book...bet he has a few good ones to tell!!

Read Lenny McLain - The Bare Knuckle Street Fighter...it was surprisingly good

Not much into the genre to tell you the truth lol

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    I love autobiographies, have read numerous over the years. Don't like biographies as they seem so impersonal and fake. Have a supply of around 4 to read over the summer. These include,

Gail Porter - Laid Bare
    Richard Hammond - On The Edge
    Jason Donovan - My story Uncut
    Peter Kay - The Sound of Laughter

Cannot read them just now as have to read college text books so time is limited.

My favourites over the years have included Ulrike Jonnsons and Dale Wintons...also Duncan Bannatyne and Richard Branson.

Whats your favourite autobiography and why?
    I'm not a big fan of autobiographies. Most of the time the authors don't have enough material to put on a postage stamp, far less fill up a book. Gail Porter? What exactly is she famous for, other than being a pin-up who happened to go bald?

I gave Peter Kay's book a go and was bitterly disappointed. I didn't laugh once and binned it 3/4 of the way through. Total tosh and a lazy cash in. No wonder it was £17.99 in the shops and £6.99 with The Book People at the same time!! I quite like Peter Kay in stand up but he just didn't translate to the written word at all for me. Dale Winton? God preserve us!! A one-dimensional, overweight non-entity who made it big by losing some weight and camping it up on Supermarket Sweep. There is nothing further one needs to know.

The ultimate flaw with "autobiographies" is that the author is able to paint a rose-tinted picture of themselves. If anything is liable to be false, it is an autobiography. Add in the modern penchant for anyone who was famous for 30 seconds being able to trot out an autobiography and you have a recipe for unchallenging pap, probably written by someone else in any case.

As Nick Hancock said about Paul Merson's autobiography:-

"Forty lines a page, and that was how much Coke he was doing whilst writing it!!"

Botham: My Autobiography ...........
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Default The Story so far

I have now read Jason Donovans book, not bad, easy read and hes more interesting than you would expect.

Started the Gail Porter book, didn't finish it as I left it in my mates car. DOH!

Currently reading my "Booky Wook" by Russell Brand. His book reads like he does standup, full of expletives and eccentricities. I love the honesty but some of the vocabulary is beyond, even my educational prowess.

Haven't started Mr Kays book, have not heard many folk that have actually liked it.

Not exactly an autobiography but a fantastic read - Against all odds by Angela Cannings.

If anyone wants to read this drop me a PM. Its going to the Cancer shop shortly if not.

If you give me a bit more detail about the book, I may be interested

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    If you give me a bit more detail about the book, I may be interested

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/8...s/Product.html

Default Paul O Grady....

Just finished Paul O Gradys autobiography - brilliant, I laughed out loud (embarassing when on a train), cried at the end...cannot believe it stops when hes only 18. What a life he had...hope there is a sequel, if so cannot wait. Highly Recommend...

Adam Ants biograpgy is a good read. Just goes to show what a bad mix mental illness and celebrity is.
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Have read tons of autobiographys but most recent were Gazzas and Paul O'Gradys, both excellent. I am reading Alan Carrs at the moment, its so funny! Richard Madeleys next in line!

Ive read gordon ramsays humble pie thought it was good and explains alot about the way he is

ive read both jordan books and ive just won a bid for the 3rd on ebay, ive enjoyed her books and ive read them in like a day or 2 because i was hooked

i enjoyed richard hammonds book, and also sharron osbournes book
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast