Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cowslips

Default Cowslips

The Cowslips are in flower in Dunnet Forest. Just a few but lovely flowers. I think someone must have planted them since I have only noticed them in the last couple of years.
    There are Cowslips at Reay but does anyone know of any other places in Caithness where they can be found?

Default cowslips

Have some growing near me. Will post a photo when they come out. Just showing some colour today

Lovely picture, what did surprise me is that those up north are in bloom the same time as down here.
    I posted a picture last week after a walk on The Downs under Spring has sprung as it would be inappropriate to post on here as I'm not resident in the county.

Delighted to say that I grew them from seed.

Default Where do cowslips grow?

Cowslips like the west part of the north coast. As you say, they are abundant at Reay. There are old records for Dunnet and Keiss links so they have been around there for 50 years or more, but in small quantities. The real Mecca for cowslips is Strathy East in North Sutherland.