Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Risso's Dolphin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up They are back

At least 3 Rissos in Thurso Bay last night around six forty five. First one I spotted was logging which meant it was sitting at the surface still with its dorsal visible out of the water. Sadly I only spotted them five minutes before I had to leave for a meeting so. It was a perfect night for seawatching. Still it is my first dolphin sighting of the year which is great.

We couldnt have Lybster showing Thurso up any longer!!!!
    Only kidding Seabird.
    Away with the birds

Those latest photos are the best yet buddy. The ones with the calf are fantastic and its colour is something like a Belugas around the bulbous head, is that a little type of beak it has??

Here is to many more and hopefully the group will stay in your area for the season. These are amazing animals and their behaviour can be spectacular when they get going.
    Away with the birds

Default More Risso's about

Risso's x 4 Reported at Holborn Head Thursday Evening 23-4-09 by Kas.
    No pics because her camera is still not back from repair.

Risso's off Lybster Saturday 25-4-09 10.36.
    Small light grey calf seen with mother.
    2 other Dolphins also seen, but to far out for a clear identification.

Colin

Another 2 passed through the bay yesterday afternoon heading east. Lens back on Tuesday and I will probably never get the chance I got last week to photograph them. So I will have to come to Lybster me's thinks.
    Away with the birds

I had quick glimpses of two this evening in the swell beyond the Lighthouse.
    Seabird had some at Lybster too and I am sure will have a photo or two to show soon.
    Away with the birds

Default Risso's Lybster 5-5-09

Your right Kas.
    I had no intentions of looking for cetaceans tonight, but after getting a txt from Kas i thought it might be worth a look at Lybster.
    Sky was grey it was raining far from ideal, but at least the sea was flat with just a gentle ripple.
    Never quite reached the seat before i got a sighting in the area best described as Lybster Bay.
    They were about 800 meters away.
    I managed to get their attention and the swam toward me and turned away at about 75meters.
    Curiosity is a wondrous thing and Dolphins are very curious by nature.
    It was a family group of 4 Risso's.I watched them for about an hour.
    At one point i could see they were about to play, but i was to late and just caught sight of Junior doing a vertical dive back into the sea, and when i moved the camer slightly right i saw mums tail going down.I never got time to press the camera button. My reflexes are rubbish.
    The next breach was to far out to catch on camera, two Dolphins leaping towards each other then splashing into the sea along side each other.
    Because of the conditions i had to use ISO 800 never good for enlargments.

Mother and Junior

Look at Dads smile, real gruesome.

If you don't mind me askin - how do you get their attention? Serious question!