Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Risso's Dolphin

I had quick glimpses of two this evening in the swell beyond the Lighthouse.
    Seabird had some at Lybster too and I am sure will have a photo or two to show soon.
    Away with the birds

Default Risso's Lybster 5-5-09

Your right Kas.
    I had no intentions of looking for cetaceans tonight, but after getting a txt from Kas i thought it might be worth a look at Lybster.
    Sky was grey it was raining far from ideal, but at least the sea was flat with just a gentle ripple.
    Never quite reached the seat before i got a sighting in the area best described as Lybster Bay.
    They were about 800 meters away.
    I managed to get their attention and the swam toward me and turned away at about 75meters.
    Curiosity is a wondrous thing and Dolphins are very curious by nature.
    It was a family group of 4 Risso's.I watched them for about an hour.
    At one point i could see they were about to play, but i was to late and just caught sight of Junior doing a vertical dive back into the sea, and when i moved the camer slightly right i saw mums tail going down.I never got time to press the camera button. My reflexes are rubbish.
    The next breach was to far out to catch on camera, two Dolphins leaping towards each other then splashing into the sea along side each other.
    Because of the conditions i had to use ISO 800 never good for enlargments.

Mother and Junior

Look at Dads smile, real gruesome.

If you don't mind me askin - how do you get their attention? Serious question!

Good Question Wifie.
    I just let them know i'm there. Move about, wave my arms, whistle, and call to them curiosity does the rest.

You probably noticed seals will see you before you see them and follow you about.
    The Dolphins at Chanonry Point, come close shore to look at all the people gathered on the point.
    The wild life tour boats stop in Gills Bay to look at the HP, but it's the HP that approach the boat.

Sometimes makes you wonder who is the watcher.

Colin

Default More Risso's Dolphins

Kas reported seeing Risso's in Thurso Bay Sat 9-5-09.
    She saw 1 at 08.20 this morning and 4 just behond the pier at Scrabster this evening.
    The weather tomorrow is forecast to be a lot better, so there is a good chance of seeing a lot more.
    Thurso and Lybster seem to be the best locations to look.

Colin

5 or 6 Risso's spotted very close to Strathy Point on the ranger-organised seawatch last night, about 6pm (think Kas has the exact time).

I make it around ten past six. I had a fantastic evening the weather and sea conditions could not have been better. The Rissos came up the east side of the point and swam right below us giving me my first ever dolphin photos and the first decent cetacean shots I have managed. It was good to meet you c minx and a big thanks to the Highland Councils North Sutherland countryside ranger Paul Castle.

I also saw 3 at Holborn Head on Thursday 21.05 around half nine and got a report of them breaching yesterday afternoon around the same area from highland sea charters. I hope to get more info on this sighting.

Away with the birds

Default Risso's 28-5-09

7 Risso's Dolphins off the Whaligoe Steps, Ulbster this evening at 17.40.
    Lots of splashing and breaching.
    Not the best picture in the world, it was taken from the steps from about 500 meters
    400mm f5.6 ISO 200 1/800 sec

Colin
    Caithness-sea-watching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12