Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite Scottish band?

Default Who is your favourite Scottish band?

Y'see, I don't know much about older Scottish music and I know next to nothing about traditional Scottish music.

But, in your heart of heart, who is your favourite Scottish band?

I'm really not sure who mine is.

It's probably My Latest Novel. They don't get the recognition they deserve and Wolves is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard.

You?

Thumbs up

There can only be one - The S.A.H.B.

Runrig are my favourite band of all time. With and without Donnie.

Other Scottish bands im a fan of, mogwai, jesus and mary chain, idlewild, big country, wolfstone, peatbog fairies...

Probably Belle and Sebastian...but it's definatley not The Proclaimers.

mine top one is probably Runrig other bands are Capercaille Peatbogfairies and of late chile hot pipers but where can one hear scottish up and coming music forms, possibly on internet radio but otherwise when nobody sends you clips and or continously patrol the net I spent ages trying to get a copy of blazingfiddles and in the end gave up .

Two words for yee!

" Biffy Clyro "
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    There can only be one - The S.A.H.B.
    Quoted for truth, and no other reason.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by theboysintheband View Post
    Probably Belle and Sebastian...but it's definatley not The Proclaimers.
    says it all totaly agree with that

It's got to be Nazareth for me.
    Here is a photo of Saxifer with our good friends from Nazareth back stage after a recent gig. Looking forward to the Finland gigs in August with Nazareth and Deep Purple.
    Last edited by DOC ROCK; 05-May-08 at 18:47.
    Asinus asinum fricat

Yeah i reckon it has to be Biffy Clyro for me.

Twin Atlantic are pretty good too though.....

Wick RBLS Pipe Band!

And Teenage Fanclub.
    Week will inherit the earth.....

Has to be Biffy Clyro for me.

For me got to be Big george and the business, featuring Glaswegian guitarist, George Ross Watt. Saw the band as a three piece several time in Glasgow in the early 90's, best blues rocker I have ever seen, remember him playing a number walking over to a table picking up a pint glass and playing slide...brilliantly. Also remember a version of Little Wing that was astonishing. Loads of presence and showmanship backed up by total mastery of his instrument. Apparently played with Jimmy Dewar ( ex Robin Trower band, the UK guitar hero period 1971 - 1974 ) as a teenager and rated by BB King no less.

Second place The Poets, I knew their singer George Gallagher when I was at university....good enough to be signed by Andrew Loog Oldham when he was 19 and still great when I knew him in his mid / late 40's

Currently it's Miyagi, who sport a gadge from Canisbay in their ranks.

I hear yee! I'm pretty sure I tried to promote Miyagi on here once...no joy tho!

aye miyagi are quality

i really like dogs die in hot cars... heard a few o the new demos but dunno what to make o them...
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Just incase anybody is now interested in checkin' out Miyagi...

www.myspace.com/miyagimusic

...I wouldn't look upon them as an Edinburgh band including a boy from Canisbay. Alex writes a massive percentage of the songs. Infact...

www.myspace.com/lexingtoniii

...thats his own page. Theres a mixture of stuff, original and covers, on there if you fancy havin' a listen.

[quote=rob murray;381070]For me got to be Big george and the business, featuring Glaswegian guitarist, George Ross Watt. Saw the band as a three piece several time in Glasgow in the early 90's, best blues rocker I have ever seen, remember him playing a number walking over to a table picking up a pint glass and playing slide...brilliantly. Also remember a version of Little Wing that was astonishing. Loads of presence and showmanship backed up by total mastery of his instrument. Apparently played with Jimmy Dewar ( ex Robin Trower band, the UK guitar hero period 1971 - 1974 ) as a teenager and rated by BB King no less.

Great choice Rob! One of my old band mates Jimmy Murrison "Nazareth lead guitarist" used to play on occasion with Big George and the business. Here is a of photo of him in action.

Last edited by DOC ROCK; 08-May-08 at 17:35. Reason: photo was huge
    Asinus asinum fricat

[quote=DOC ROCK;381439]
    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    For me got to be Big george and the business, featuring Glaswegian guitarist, George Ross Watt. Saw the band as a three piece several time in Glasgow in the early 90's, best blues rocker I have ever seen, remember him playing a number walking over to a table picking up a pint glass and playing slide...brilliantly. Also remember a version of Little Wing that was astonishing. Loads of presence and showmanship backed up by total mastery of his instrument. Apparently played with Jimmy Dewar ( ex Robin Trower band, the UK guitar hero period 1971 - 1974 ) as a teenager and rated by BB King no less.

Great choice Rob! One of my old band mates Jimmy Murrison "Nazareth lead guitarist" used to play on occasion with Big George and the business. Here is a of photo of him in action.

Great band nazareth, I bought a couple of singles around 1973, their version of This Flight Tonight still sounds brilliant. I also had a copy of the Razzamanaz album, again great stuff. really liked the original guitar player, Manny Charlton,he carved a name out for himself as a great slide player. A guy that works for me went to school with some band members, they have been on the go since the late 60's and prior to getting a recording deal were one of the best bands around in Scotland ( so Ive been told )

[FONT='Palatino Linotype','serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Palatino Linotype','serif']Knowledge Worker Document Management [/FONT]

For me,Simple Minds or Big Country.The Cocteau Twins were underated but Liz's vocals were brilliant.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast