Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rapsons in talks with Stagecoach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rapsons in talks with Stagecoach

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    North bus company Rapsons could be poised to be taken over by rival operator Stagecoach.

Talks have been held about a proposed sale of the Inverness-based group, which runs services in the Highlands and Orkney.

Rapsons have informed its staff of the negotiations, but was making no further comment.

Stagecoach confirmed the two were in negotiation but said "they may or may not reach an agreement".

One of the biggest transport companies in the country, Stagecoach has a fleet of about 12,000 buses in Britain and North America.

It has invested £120m on vehicles in the past three years.

In 2006, Rapsons bus drivers threatened to strike before voting by a majority to accept an improved pay offer from their employers.

About 200 workers with Rapsons group - which includes Highland Country Buses and Orkney Coaches - came close to taking industrial action.

The Transport and General Workers Union (T&G) had called on Rapsons to bring pay in line with rival firm Stagecoach.

The T&G had recommended that its members reject the deal offered.

Drivers had been unhappy that their counterparts at Stagecoach were paid £1 an hour more.

Conciliation service Acas were involved in talks between the union and Rapsons.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/7374867.stm

What could this mean for the bus service up here? I'm an enthusiastic bus commuter but often I'm the sole passenger, would Stagecoach want to streamline the timetable? What is their motivation for this (potential) takeover?

Personally I'd say that Stagecoach would offer more frequent bus journeys and possible direct services similar to the 25X service from Dornoch-Tain... etc.. which runs to Inverness more frequently than the Rapsons/ Citylink service from Thurso to Inverness. The only problem I can see is, at the moment, Rapsons buses are sometimes used for Citylink Services so if Stagecoach did not agree to operate on Citylink services then this will either mean Citylink having to locate more buses elsewhere or the service will be taken off the timetable/ run by stagecoach instead.

Stagecoach do operate many different services and routes including popular routes which other companies do not run. For example, possibly a bus service from Thurso-Wick-Inverness direct would be suggestable. I would say Stagecoach does have a very good reputation, especially running affordable services- for example Megabus Inter-city travel which can be as low as £1 for travel from Inverness-Glasgow. I'm not aware of the costs they charge on their regular services though.

Stagecoach, are IMO, the Tesco's of the bus company's, they come in, get all the subsidies, and disappear leaving you with no bus service at all, they have a reputation for this in England.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews68065.html
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I'll be glad if this happens. I'll be able to get a proper bus pass. Spending a few hundred pound a year on buses just now.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

Default Rapsons in talks with stagecoach

Will this mean better more roomier buses,cheaper fares ,faster direct services from Thursa/Wick to Inverness without any stops after Golspie just like a local bus company did years ago

Quote Originally Posted by weeksider View Post
    Will this mean better more roomier buses,cheaper fares ,faster direct services from Thursa/Wick to Inverness without any stops after Golspie just like a local bus company did years ago
    Probably, yes.

They will most probably keep the same buses on the routes. The sevice can only get better, I now have a bus pass and would use the service more often if a more convenient service was provided between Wick and Thurso, particularly in the evenings. Wick to Inverness is, I think, OK, have used that many times and never had a problem.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I heard today that Stagecoach bought Rapsons