Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: McPherson/McIntyre

Leigh Varma Guest

Default McPherson/McIntyre

My great great Grandfather, Neil McPherson and wife Mary Ann McIntyre emigrated to N.Z. from Braemore, Dunbeath in 1870. I would be grateful for any information available on either family.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Varma
    My great great Grandfather, Neil McPherson and wife Mary Ann McIntyre emigrated to N.Z. from Braemore, Dunbeath in 1870. I would be grateful for any information available on either family.
    Neil Mcpherson was born on the 7th May and christened on the 31st May 1841 the son of John McPherson and Isabella Macaulay.

Here are the households from the 1841 and 1861 census returns:

District: 10 Folio: 0 Page: 5
    Address: Clashbvie

MCPHERSON John M 50 Farmer Caithness
    MCPHERSON Isabella F 35 Outside Census County
    MCPHERSON William M 8 Caithness
    MCPHERSON Peter M 6 Caithness
    MCPHERSON Niel M 1m Caithness
    MCAULAY Margaret F 80 Independent Caithness

District: 9 House: 6
    Macpherson John 63 Berriedale
    Macpherson Isabella 54 Loth
    Macpherson Neil 18 Berriedale
    Macpherson Alexander 16 Berriedale
    Macpherson Lucy A. 14 Berriedale

Mary Ann was born the 8th of October 1850 the daughter of John McIntyre and Mary Ann McKellar, they moved to Caithness from Argyll after the 1841 census but are on the 1861 census:

District: 9 House: 19
    Mcintyre John 57 Argyllshire
    Mcintyre Mary Ann 47 Kilmodan, Argyllshire
    McGregor John 27 Appin
    Mcintyre John 14 Berriedale
    Mcintyre Peter 13 Berriedale
    Mcintyre Mary Ann 10 Berriedale
    Mcintyre Archibaid 8 Berriedale
    Mcintyre Catherine 6 Berriedale
    <br>

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Varma
    Also there is a grave in Braemore cemetery of John Mcpherson farmer of Braemore who died the 8th Jan 1868 aged 71, the stone was erected by his son Neil.

The next grave along is for Archibald McIntyre who died 30th Jul 1849 aged 6 years 11 months and his grandfather Donald McIntyre died 13th Nov 1849 aged 87, the stone was erected by Archibalds father John McIntyre, gamekeeper of Braemore.
    <br>