Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Strange fungi anyone know it?

Question Strange fungi anyone know it?

spotted a load of these all in quite a small area and wondered what they were. One for the fungi experts i think lol

If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

had a good look through the fungus identification sites and think its a member of the coprinus genus (shaggy inkcap) but it looks really strange and the "scales" on it looked uniform on all the one i saw (there were about 100 of them) any better identification would be appreciated.

Default Mares tail

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...311511710.html

Hello the_count

This is not a fungus - I would say that you have the first shoots of a most horrible weed called Mare's Tail - link above.
    I recognised it right away - our garden is being taken over by it - we've tried everything but it just keeps coming and spreading.

Poor you.

LB

karia Guest

If LB is correct then I urge you to get into the garden and start immediate warfare.

It took us 8 years, a flamethrower and weeding on a daily basis to rid ourselves of mares tail.

Show no mercy......and Good luck!

He he he glad it aint in my garden then lol its on the waste ground at the side of the woods by the off limits community woodland ... cant think how i got the picture

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    He he he glad it aint in my garden then lol its on the waste ground at the side of the woods by the off limits community woodland ... cant think how i got the picture
    Give it half a chance and it will be in everyones garden.

hmm does seem a quite virilent lifeform lol its sort of a plant/fungi cross that puts up fruiting bodies first then chucks up the plant for real after, loves poor soil conditins but cant stand deep shading. glad i aint got it here yet

Default No it isn't a fungus

Hi Count,

What you have a very good photo of is a horsetail. The common horsetail is different from the other horsetails in putting up its spore cone on a non-green stem before the main shoot comes up. So it is Equisetum arvense that you are seeing. Don't plant it in your garden since it is vigorous and ineradicable!

Cheers