Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Osprey live webcam

Well, that's the wee chick gone. Mum has just dragged it away and flown off with it.

Default Osprey live webcam

Has anyone else been watching this today, i have been flicking back and fore, just got back from town and mother and one of the chicks is eating but the other chick seems to be lying down taking no interest in the food, hope its ok.

The chicks are huge now - see their photos on their website to get an idea of size. Much wing exercising by Nethy today. The experts reckon any day now she'll be away. What a noise when all three call for food.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/trac...reys/index.asp

Default Big bird

Thanks for that nightowl, it does give you some prospective of just how big the Osprey is when you have somthing to compare them with.
    I would say Nethy will fly on Friday 18th am. Thats my grandaughter's break up time from school.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default First flight

It was great to be on line when Nethy took her first flight at just after 10am this morning.
    Also the new camera situation makes it all a bit more interesting.

Talking wow

I tuned in to see osprey chicks on the right morning! great use of modern equipment here, the right place for a web cam! lovely to see!

Link to the Osprey cam at Loch o Lowes

http://www.thewebbroadcastingcorpora...om/swt/swt.php

We have visited this site last year on a visit to relatives in Perth.

Great to see links to other sites.
    Last edited by arana negra; 24-Jul-08 at 22:08. Reason: Missed out comments after link.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

I just read on the bbc site that one of the ospreys has been found dead, what a crying shame to learn this, i have added the link for you all to read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/7605658.stm

Awe thats a crying shame, sad news indeed.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Default Deshar moves at last

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...harsflight.jpg

Deshar has finally made a break for Africa but had missed land completely and is heading for the Azores. RSPB blog doesn't sound too hopeful that he will make it. Fingers and toes crossed!

I've been following their progress and this news is really disappointing. I'll be keeping everything crossed for both Deshar and Nethy.

One niggling question keeps running in my mind. By attaching these tracking devices to the birds, could we have upset their own, natural SatNav system?

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    One niggling question keeps running in my mind. By attaching these tracking devices to the birds, could we have upset their own, natural SatNav system?
    I've wondered that too, Moira. Having to tote contraptions that are stitched into their feathers, signals bouncing off the antennae protruding from their backs -- there's no way to know how it really affects them.

I sure hope Deshar survives and even little meanie, Nethy.

Default Deshar

I do hope Deshar makes land soon as he has done nearly 2000 miles.
    That was a good point Moira about the Sat Nav may affect his own instinctive navigational system.

I see Nethy has made some progress now and has made off towards France.

I know this sounds a bit daft ,if we were to lose one I would have prefeard it to be Nethy for being such a bully to her young sibbling that did not make it to fledge.

According to the latest blog, the tracking devices are not to blame :-
    "I would like to add at this point that there is no proof at all that the transmitters cause the birds to fly off course - we will be updating the FAQs on the tracking page to explain this further. If it did cause a problem then the data which we are gathering would be flawed and therefore worthless. It is known that several ospreys have been seen wintering on the Azores, and these did not have satellite tags on them. I think that the last few days of north easterly winds have been more likely the cause of Deshar's flight path than anything else."

They now believe that Deshar is dead -- neither speed nor altitude is detected. Once he missed the Azores it did not look good for him.

Default So sad

I feel gutted now.

Just read this on BBC news, such a shame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/7646470.stm

The good news is that Nethy has made it to Africa. She's been skirting the Sahara desert and is not quite home and dry yet - but here's hoping.

Btw, when I logged onto the Loch Garten website the other night I saw from the Blog that Nethy had made it to Africa. I shouted out to hubby "Nethy is in Africa!" He replied "What's she doing there then?" He had, in fact, misheard me and thought I'd shouted "Nessie is in Africa!" As if I'd click on any dubious links

Is anyone else still following this fascinating story?

Still checking daily here moira.

So is the OM getting a hearing aid for Christmas? We have a good chuckle over that one.

Default Nethy

I know it sounds a bit daft but I never really took to Nethy because she was such a bully to her younger sibbling resulting in its death.

Watching them take their first flight was exciting times and when they got down to the south coast it all got a bit interesting with the "will they wont they".

When Desher ditched I sort of lost interest as it made me feel so sad.
    Can't wait till next year now so they can do it all again.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast