Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Osprey live webcam

This webcam is fascinating. Thanks for the link

The babies are out just! The biggest one seems to be scolding his smaller siblings and trying to coax them to get up and about.....it's sqeaking at them.....this is fascinating.... A cuckoo is now joining in the noise....and the babies are on their own....ok, I admit it; I've nothing better to do just now..
    Last edited by Torvaig; 03-Jun-08 at 10:27.

was looking forward to seeing the peregrines fledge but missed em
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Default Ospreys

I tune in most days and get an update on how they are doing ,it's a shame though that the sound is not always available.
    I was watching yesterday when they had 3 Osprey intruders and 1 even landed on the nest breifly.
    OVS seen them off 3 times and locked tallons with one .
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default What a poo

The thing that is amazing and amusing me most about these young Ospreys at the moment is the way they reverse themselves to the edge of the nest and do a projectile poo over the edge.
    I am sure at some stage they will do a bulls eye on the camera lens.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    The thing that is amazing and amusing me most about these young Ospreys at the moment is the way they reverse themselves to the edge of the nest and do a projectile poo over the edge.
    I am sure at some stage they will do a bulls eye on the camera lens.lol
    It is amazing to see them do that and they have nailed the camera already. The oldest chick is bullying the other two so badly it is very hard to watch them at feeding time. It is vicious -- the oldest chick pecks the others on their heads something fierce and they bury their heads and try to stay out of its way and as a result they get little or no food. The wee one hasn't eaten for some time now and I'm fearful it may starve. Nature is brutal.

Default Mind that camera

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    It is amazing to see them do that and they have nailed the camera already. The oldest chick is bullying the other two so badly it is very hard to watch them at feeding time. It is vicious -- the oldest chick pecks the others on their heads something fierce and they bury their heads and try to stay out of its way and as a result they get little or no food. The wee one hasn't eaten for some time now and I'm fearful it may starve. Nature is brutal.
    Having made the last post I then read the blog "der".
    I was very concerned as you said about the young one getting bullied and not being fed and that was the case yesterday when OV brought a fish.
    Wife and I was watching today and same old thing with his head buried.
    Wife was shouting at the big one at one stage for being a bully and had to assure her that he could not here her lol.
    A fish came in and the 2 big ones had a guts full ,and after a while the mother got the little chap to feed.
    They then updated the blog and it was all good news, and not to worry.

I check the chicks' progress at least once a day when I'm online. I too was concerned about the wee one's progress but was reassured by the Blogs which are written by folks who are experienced and have seen it all before.

I'll take their word for it that all is progressing well and continue to enjoy my privileged vantage point on nature's best from the comfort of my own PC. Great stuff

Default Experts

It seems the experts are correct.
    I watched them feed this morning and a soon as the fish hit the nest, the little one buried his head.
    Mother fed the whole fish to the other two but boss chick had his fill first.
    When boss chick had his fill he decided to give the little one a bashing anyway which was a bit disturbing.
    When all had settled down the little one went begging to mum, and then she disapeared of the nest At about 12-30 ish and was gone for some time .
    I went out and come back at about 2-45 and mother was feeding the little one while older sibblings were having a kip.
    At least we know he is getting some food even if he is the subject of bullying.

The first day the bullying started feeding times were brutal and, like Kevin's wife, I am guilty of yelling a few choice words in the bully's direction. At one point he grabbed the wee one and shook it like a rag doll - I was sure it was a goner. Now the 3rd chick knows to roll into a ball to help avoid the worst of it and once first born eats until it can barely move, last born slips in to get a wee morsel. It obviously stinks to be the last osprey egg to hatch.

Default Maybe

The first day the bullying started feeding times were brutal and, like Kevin's wife, I am guilty of yelling a few choice words in the bully's direction. At one point he grabbed the wee one and shook it like a rag doll - I was sure it was a goner. Now the 3rd chick knows to roll into a ball to help avoid the worst of it and once first born eats until it can barely move, last born slips in to get a wee morsel. It obviously stinks to be the last osprey egg to hatch.
    I wonder if the big un will go on in later life to be a fine figure of an Osprey or a pot bellied pig.lol. I can see him swooping in on Loch Garten to pluck a fish out of the water and hitting it like one of Barns Wallace bouncing bombs.
    Then the little runt swooping in behind him as nimble as Twiggy to pluck the fish up in one claw whilst giving his older sibling the two fingers with the other. MMM Maybee

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Then the little runt swooping in behind him as nimble as Twiggy to pluck the fish up in one claw whilst giving his older sibling the two fingers with the other. MMM Maybee
    Love it, osprey karma. They've nailed the camera good now. Maybe the rain they expect tomorrow will clean it off. I have never seen anything go potty with such force.

The way it looks right now, the wee one will probably not make it. It is heartbreaking to see it beg for food and be pecked something fierce for even asking. It is not survival of the fittest by any means, the last born has no chance when food is not provided regularly. Had it been given its share of food it may well have been fitter than the other two -- goodness knows it has been a fighter and survivor to this point. It is so tiny and weak now and it is soooo disturbing and sad to watch but yet I keep checking in the hope of seeing the wee one getting a decent bite to eat. This is the first and last time I have watched birds of prey via webcam -- not for me.

Default Feed the runt

The way it looks right now, the wee one will probably not make it. It is heartbreaking to see it beg for food and be pecked something fierce for even asking. It is not survival of the fittest by any means, the last born has no chance when food is not provided regularly. Had it been given its share of food it may well have been fitter than the other two -- goodness knows it has been a fighter and survivor to this point. It is so tiny and weak now and it is soooo disturbing and sad to watch but yet I keep checking in the hope of seeing the wee one getting a decent bite to eat. This is the first and last time I have watched birds of prey via webcam -- not for me.
    Dont give up hope on him MM .The wife spends a lot of time shouting at the bully, and I am sure he can hear her from Wick.lol
    I have been lucky enough to see the wee one having a good feed on several occations and he might supprise us all. None of us like to see bullying in any shape or form but it does give us a wanting for the underdog to survive.

Sad to say but I think the little one had died. I can't see any movement but at least its suffering will be over.....

Yes, it's gone, what a slow and painful way to die. This soft hearted sap is done with birds of prey webcams -- I have images now that I could have lived quite happily without.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    Sad to say but I think the little one had died. I can't see any movement but at least its suffering will be over.....
    Sadly Torvaig, this is Nature in the Raw. Without web cams and the TV, this type of Natural selection process would be hidden from us. The way I look at it now, the other two will survive. But I am still sad, I was rooting for the wee chiel.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Yes, it's gone, what a slow and painful way to die. This soft hearted sap is done with birds of prey webcams -- I have images now that I could have lived quite happily without.
    I know what you mean Margaret M. Having said that I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
    Last Tuesday evening (around 7-8 pm) the wee one was eating a fish with great glee, while the other two were sleeping. It was a delight to watch. Needless to say the two oldest chicks eventually became aware of what was happening. True to form the biggest bully in the nest soon had the wee one screaming - I'll spare you the details..

I'll continue to look in on them from time to time but my interest is not quite the same somehow. And I can't quite believe that the Bully Chick is using the poor dead baby as a pillow!

Default pillow

Are they using our hero as a pillow or have they realised that they may have been instrumental in the death of there sibling.
    Please EJ, get rid.
    Lets move on

Another beautiful morning in Loch Garton. Both chicks now look enormous. Lots of stretching and flapping of wings. Do we know the sexes? I thought one looked like a female with a bib developing. Don't know about the other. I wish the webcam could be recorded on video so that I won't miss the tagging. I suppose it will be just luck to catch it. Only then will we be able to judge their size. This has been a lovely experience and a real privilege to look in on this amazing family. Good luck to them all.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast