Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amy Winehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    Yer groovy Golach.Ye know the hits.Valerie is a better known hit than Rehab.Ye say"I decided her noise was not for me",her noise is for me,are ye right,or am I wrong?
    Lol Thats a Catch 22 question Cedric, no easy answer, ........no seriously, none of us are right or wrong, just we have differing tastes in music, probably in Beers too, I'm a Belhaven Best man at the moment
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    With all due respect Cedric, you would have to have lived in a cave on the moon not to be exposed to some of the Crack Bardess's splurge!

The Crack Bardess's splurge.That sounds like a Doctor Who baddie to me.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Cedric, thats where your wrong , never assume, I have listened to a few of her "Music" ..."You know I'm no Good" a very appropriate title I may say, did it ever reach the top 10, I dont think so, and I listened to "Rehab" again did that reach the top 10? And I have listened to "Valerie" not sure where that reached in the charts. On that selection I decided her noise was not for me.
    'Rehab' went to no7 in the 'top ten' and the album 'Back to Black' from whence it came went to number one numerous times.

The album was certified five-time platinum and was the best selling album of 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Lol Thats a Catch 22 question Cedric, no easy answer, ........no seriously, none of us are right or wrong, just we have differing tastes in music, probably in Beers too, I'm a Belhaven Best man at the moment
    I like ma McEwan Export,I knew ye were ignoring me in the chatroom.It didnae matter what I typed ye didnae take it in.Cheers.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    I like ma McEwan Export,I knew ye were ignoring me in the chatroom.It didnae matter what I typed ye didnae take it in.Cheers.
    Sorry Cedric, it was not my intention to ignore you, I am ambidextros, I can be in two places at once, and I may have come out of chat as you came in.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    'Rehab' went to no7 in the 'top ten' and the album 'Back to Black' from whence it came went to number one numerous times.

The album was certified five-time platinum and was the best selling album of 2007.

We all know that the number of sales nowadays means nothing, even reaching number one requires a lot less sales than it did say ten years ago.

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    We all know that the number of sales nowadays means nothing, even reaching number one requires a lot less sales than it did say ten years ago.
    Golach asked what the individual songs had achieved in terms of 'the top ten' and whilst I realise this is an outmoded concept I answered him in good faith.

As we know it is album sales/downloads that matter nowadays and it would be hard to argue that 'Back to black' was less than a resounding success....both commercially and musically.

it would be hard to argue that 'Back to black' was less than a resounding success....both commercially and musically.
    I'm not having a go Karia, but her album success would pale into insignificance many moons ago. I can safely say that in the singles charts, number ten is mst likely to translate as the thirties, position wise, based on sales.

karia Guest

I'm not having a go Karia, but her album success would pale into insignificance many moons ago. I can safely say that in the singles charts, number ten is mst likely to translate as the thirties, position wise, based on sales.
    But we're not living "many moons ago". These are the current criteria.

Previous methods of recording sales centred around a few record shops and were even less accurate on a wider basis.

But we're not living "many moons ago". These are the current criteria.

Previous methods of recording sales centred around a few record shops and were even less accurate on a wider basis.
    I didn't realise that Many moons ago, was a phrase that deserved to be exclamated in a seemingly derogatory way.
    The point is that the charts system is now de-valued when based on sales.

karia Guest

I didn't realise that Many moons ago, was a phrase that deserved to be exclamated in a seemingly derogatory way.
    The point is that the charts system is now de-valued when based on sales.
    I used the phrase "many moons ago" as I took it out of your post for further discourse after quoting you in entirety.

Why do you find that seemingly derogatory?

The chart system, both then and now, was always based on sales and therefore flawed.

....both commercially and musically.
    The first part is indeed impossible to argue.

The second is entirely a subjective matter. One could argue it is nothing but retro, and were we to make our musical comparisons with the originators we may find it challenged as a musical statement.

I like it, but only in passing, and I uphold anyone's right to suggest it is crap purely on the basis of their taste.

Consensus is no argument when it comes to quality, in music or anything else.

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    The first part is indeed impossible to argue.

The second is entirely a subjective matter. One could argue it is nothing but retro, and were we to make our musical comparisons with the originators we may find it challenged as a musical statement.

I like it, but only in passing, and I uphold anyone's right to suggest it is crap purely on the basis of their taste.

Consensus is no argument when it comes to quality, in music or anything else.
    Exactly!

I only quoted the stats to answer golach's question.

were we all to look at things that way .Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' album would be the best ever made.......

..clearly that ain't the case!

were we all to look at things that way .Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' album would be the best ever made.......

..clearly that ain't the case!
    It's only the best selling album of all time Karia, clearly they got it wrong.

It is certainly the best selling album by a paedophile.

Just saw in a newspaper today an article comparing Amy Winehouse to our own Scottish home grown singer Lulu, she is nearing 60 years old, and what a wee stoatar, IMO there is no comparison, I know who I prefer.

Lulu knocks spots of that walking billboard for a blind tattooist...

And before I am rounded on by the Amy fanboys I have listened to her music. I did think her first album different and indeed I recommended it to a female friend who I thought might like it. She had a goodish voice but no better IMO than the likes of Josh Stone or Duffy.

And a heads up for anyone wondering where it all went wrong, next Tuesday on C4 is the last in the run of programmes about 'stars' going downhill (Michael Barrymore was featured last night) - it concerns Amy Winehouse.

No doubt it will give this thread some fresh input...

Well I'm sitting here looking out at a gey dreech day in Aberdeen. I have read all the replys in this posting and have to say it has fairly brightened my day, some even made me laugh out loud. Don't you just love living in a democracy?I love it.......God Bless Caithness.org
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Lulu! Blimey...I can still remember her appearing on Ready,Steady,Go! c.'65 as a sixteen-ish year old. Shout...she shouted. Lulu actually looks better now than she did then! I dunno whether you'll be able to say the same about Amy in forty-three years time...we'll have to see.

I've heard some of Amy's music...'awld guys' do keep their ears to the ground sometimes. Rehab was pretty good...initial impressions wa sit was sung by a sleazebag...my instincts proved right. Her voice has a certain piquancy...which, if I'd ever been there, might remind me of the docks in Tangier or some other seedy North African haunt of loose women and tight gaffers.

There was another song too...the title eludes me...something like 'no good' perhaps...indeed, it was was very good I recall. She obviously has talent, but there are dozens of good female singers out there who live cleaner lives, and are not splashed all over my newspaper.

I've seen Whinehouse perform, she has little presence on stage but intrigues with those strange little thighs together rubbing movements which suggest, at the very least some fungal infection of her lower urinary tract. If that's all she copped for she should count herself very lucky. I found her appearance at 'The Brits' laughably tragic...if that's not too much of an oxymoron....

..Listen..she might be good at what she does but I have no respect for her, and neither should anyone with an eye on the bigger picture.£10 million?? well that sums up this barmy society where a heroine soaked lush can amass such a fortune and good people go short of sustenance, a roof or essential medical treatment.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 30-Apr-08 at 18:37.

karia Guest

Don't hold back percy........tell us what you really think!

Fungal infections notwithstanding.

Does your lawyer know you are so free with your 'comments'?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast