Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cricket season in Scotland!

Cricket is wonderful, every time I feel tired I look for a good cricket match on the TV and I'm sound asleep after a few minutes. Same thing happens when I watch it live. But I really like it, it's so relaxing, I've even paid the entrance fee at 'Lords' to get a really good sleep.
    Last edited by Whitewater; 26-Apr-08 at 01:00.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I did once attend a (minor) country cricket game, where I found out why it's popular. If you go with a club member, you get to sit in a deck chair in the sun in front of the clubhouse, and every now and again a nice mannie comes round and asks if you need another beer. Meanwhile around you, old codgers will stir occasionally from their sun and alcohol induced slumber to pontificate authoritatively on the progress of the game and the standard of the play (the latter, mostly not as good as "in my day"). Then they drop off again, and a few minutes later another one will do it. It's a bit like those big sea lions when they stir on the beach. A bit of huffing and puffing for a wee while, and then everybody settles down. The game itself was an utter bore once the couple of decent fast bowlers on each side got tired.

Well.... If someone arranges a local game I'll certainly go along to watch. I can't stand cricket, but I love cucumber sandwiches and I like the sound of sitting in a deckchair in the sun all afternoon.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Default Cricket

Would be interested in playing. Just let me know where and when

Yup I'd be up for that, I havent played since I was in the Navy but at least it would spur me on to get fitter
    Dont work too hard - its bad for your health

not played since i was in the school team in third year senior school lol but i think i can remember how its played. Might do me some good to take it up again
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

SNOWDOG Guest

I remember cricket being played regularly in Wick in the late 80's, early 90's. Osprey Electronics had a team, and i recall another one called the Oliphants!

I'd def be up for a game..let me know where and when, sound slike it would be a good bit of crack, especially if the weather stay as glorious as it has been!
    If you even dream of beating me, you better wake up and apologize!
    Muhammad Ali.

Smile Great anyone else for a game!

Glad to see enthusiasm for having a go . It been well five year since I played myself but the odd game again would be great. Not sure the kids believe I used to be quite reasonable at a game .
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

so where is there a cricket ground in Wick .... i dont recall seeing one on my travels around here? And it never seems to get a mention on the sports page either
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    so where is there a cricket ground in Wick .... i dont recall seeing one on my travels around here? And it never seems to get a mention on the sports page either
    Cricket has got to be the most boring, loosely termed, "sport", in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    They used to play at the High School pitches, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Cricket has got to be the most boring, loosely termed, "sport", in existence.
    Far from it.

Face up to a solid, extremely hard, leather-cased cork-based seamed ball, chucked at yer napper at 100MPH with just a slim bit of oiled willow to swat it away with, and then call it 'boring'.

Fair do's. Watching 5 days of it on TV may well be boring.

Participating in the game however, I can assure you is not.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Default Cricket

Well I for one used to enjoy village cricket ,but the other ten that might turn up with a different agenda scares me. I think I will stick to rugby.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

So.... What day do you play cricket on? Is it a Sunday afternoon affair?
    I assume you would need permission to play on the school pitch?
    How about a weekend in May?
    I'll bring a boot (car boot that is, not a welly) full of cucumber sarnies, who'll make the tea?

Seriously, there seems to be enough interest and although I may not be keen on the game itself, I'd be quite happy to watch if it was all good natured and fun.

karia Guest

[quote=Sapphire2803;378233
    Seriously, there seems to be enough interest and although I may not be keen on the game itself, I'd be quite happy to watch if it was all good natured and fun.[/quote]

Two things in life that I just can't get my head round.....cricket and opera!

Of the two I prefer the sounds made by your average cricket match.

Heathen that I am!

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Two things in life that I just can't get my head round.....cricket and opera!

Of the two I prefer the sounds made by your average cricket match.

Heathen that I am!
    You're not the only heathen around here then...
    Opera sets my teeth on edge like fingernails on a blackboard and the sound of cricket on the telly is not much better, but it would be great if just for once a good idea on the org actually came to something rather than just disappearing into the archives

If you're interested in playing cricket, there is a Caithness Cricket Club, practices are Wednesday nights at Thurso High School, 6pm for juniors, 7pm for Seniors. PLease pm me if you want any more info.

Quote Originally Posted by luke83 View Post
    If you're interested in playing cricket, there is a Caithness Cricket Club, practices are Wednesday nights at Thurso High School, 6pm for juniors, 7pm for Seniors. PLease pm me if you want any more info.
    Yes - they usually play Orkney and have several other games against north second teams (usually the Moray Firth area).

They are always short of players and will certainly welcome new blood.
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    You're not the only heathen around here then...
    Opera sets my teeth on edge like fingernails on a blackboard and the sound of cricket on the telly is not much better, but it would be great if just for once a good idea on the org actually came to something rather than just disappearing into the archives
    Opera is like reading - find the right book and you can't put it down - find the wrong one and you can forget it.

You obviously have not listened to the right music!
    Last edited by quirbal; 16-Jun-08 at 21:38.
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

here is a contact name and number that I have found. Hope it helps, they may know of more teams.

http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=37
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12