Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: ManOwaR

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Default ManOwaR

I have seen dozens of great bands over the years...

But easily the very best by a mile was Manowar...1995 Milton Keynes

The sheer passion and loyalty of the fans was electrifying...

Apparently they are bigger than ever in South America and The European Continent...

Why do you think they are not so well accepted in this country of False Metal? LOL

James

Music like this is not hugely popular here (as it is on continental Europe and South America) simply because in this country, the kids are spoon-fed with 'chart' music by the record companies and the music media. One look at the Radio 1 play list will tell you all you need to know. How much time does Radio 1 devote to heavy metal for instance? 1 hour on a Tuesday at midnight?

I truly hoped when Lordi won the Eurovision Song Contest that maybe, just maybe the major media outlets (Radio1, mainstream TV and the popular music magazines) in Britain would suddenly wake up and see that there is a market for heavy rock/metal, and would try to break free from the hype-driven and corrupt record company's 'shaping' of the industry.

But alas, no. It didn't happen.

Thankfully this is now all changing with the advent of the internet, and places like MySpace/YouTube etc. People who are interested in music can find what they want, without some record company executive ramming worthless pop-pap like the Spice Girls down their throats all the time.

The major record companies are effectively cutting their own throats these days by ignoring popular music (i.e., music that people want to hear) and going for repackaged pop-pap and boy-band nonsense aimed at readers of 'Sugar' and 'Bliss'.

Young bands are now writing, recording and publishing their own music, with little involvement from the major record companies. And the record companies don't know what to do about it.

The sooner the major record companies realise their business model is hopelessly outdated and just does not work in the modern day, the better. They've ripped us off for too long, and their indolence is just beginning to turn around and bite them on the erse.

Which is nice.

As for ManOwar? Hmmm, the very idea of grown men, greased up and wearing leather loin-cloths, playing macho heavy metal to mainly 14yo boys? It's like something out of "This Is Spinal Tap". Which makes it good, in my view.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Yep MetalK

I agree...but the main difference tween tap and manowar is that Manowar live the life...they are the Metal Kings....

Oh and yes, I grease my loin cloth nightly LOL

C'mon, guys, metal is mainstream now.

Yep, and rightfully so. No thanks to the record companies and their lickspittle media whores, though.

Teh internets are here now. Record companies are being killed.

Killed!!

Killed to DETH!!

O NOES!!!11!!eleven!
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."