Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tesco Does Have The Mart

Default Tesco Thurso

I hope they do have a review of their plans. If they carry out all the work on the WEST side of Ormlie Road, they will be tearing up the existing footpath. They should concentrate on the EAST side of Ormlie Road which is where the problem lies. Better still, get off their rear ends and come and look at the site

Quote Originally Posted by Lady In Bed View Post
    I hope they do have a review of their plans. If they carry out all the work on the WEST side of Ormlie Road, they will be tearing up the existing footpath. They should concentrate on the EAST side of Ormlie Road which is where the problem lies. Better still, get off their rear ends and come and look at the site
    I have no idea what this obscure posting means. I thought the Mart site was all to the east of Ormlie Road. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    I'm not going to read through all the replies to this thread but can I just add my comment that after reading the paper today about another big Tesco store planning to be built in Thurso, I think this is totally riduculous as there is already a huge Tesco store in Wick. There is only one big Tesco required in the far north of Scotland for the amount of people living here. Some days, Tesco in Wick have very quiet periods during the days. If the council stupidly allow planning permission for another big Tesco to be built in Thurso, it's going to take away all the custom and business from the Wick store and I'm sure (even though they are a multi-million pound company) they should not be wasting a huge amount of money building another store within 20 miles of an existing one. Totally pointless and I hope they are refused planning permission.
    Could always close the Wick store and open an even bigger one in Thurso! Would that satisfy you or are you Weeker?

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    Could always close the Wick store and open an even bigger one in Thurso! Would that satisfy you or are you Weeker?
    now that makes real economic sense could only come from someone living on the thurso side lol

It would make sense to route the high school pedestrian traffic up the West side of Princess Street/Ormlie Road, from the Miller to the High with a controlled crossing to the Tesco site, if they have an entrance on Ormlie Road, but no other pedestrian walkway up the East side. (With proper railings all the way up the pavement to discourage jaywalking.)

Either that or an enclosed pavement all the way down the East side; anything to keep the kids from meandering across what will be a slightly busier road.

I am presuming the entrance to this new Tesco will be by the station itself?

Will they make a roundabout at the junction of Lover's Lane/Castlegreen Road/Ormlie Road/Princess Street?

I am trying to think of anywhere else I have seen a roundabout with hills in two directions.

Last edited by Boozeburglar; 12-Apr-08 at 13:55.

Default Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    I have no idea what this obscure posting means. I thought the Mart site was all to the east of Ormlie Road. Please explain.
    It aint rocket science, the mart IS on the east of ormlie Road. They are talking about a new bus stop/layby on the WEST side of ormlie Road. I can see no sense in that. If you can, then feel free to explain why they should rip up a perfectly good walkway.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    I am presuming the entrance to this new Tesco will be by the station itself?
    think the people who own and live in the Station House may have a few objections to that plan

on a serious note though, a Tesco's there would be no more of a danger to pedestrians than when it used to be the mart, all those cattle lorries, 4x4's towing trailers all double parked and abandoned where they found a space - it was a nightmare!! and the kids need to be stopped jaywalking in the road in front of cars, they seem to think its there god given right even though theres a huge pavement empty on the other side of the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    Or at least build a pavement on the mart side of Ormlie Road.
    and block off the only place the residents can park?? oh yeah they could always just park on the road and block it even more!!
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Going on about the Tesco monopoly is pointless unless you stand up and do something about it. Do you want another Tesco superstore in Caithness, is it really needed when an Asda store would help to keep prices reasonable? What are the prices like in Somerfield, Coop? Are they managing to compete with Tesco or are they failing?
    somerfields price match tesco on hundreds of day to day lines

What happened to the idea of building new retail units next to BT?

Moi x

asda didnt want to build that far round. but as far as i'm aware that is the cooncils preffered site for developement in thurso

Tesco will not build another Tesco on this site.
    They have purchased The Mart so no one else can.

As far as I'm aware they do this quiet a lot.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Agree with you Cuddlepop, Tescos have sites that have been bought just to stop competition moving in.
    Personally I'm not bothered about another supermarket but would not like to see the mart site left undeveloped and become even more of an eyesore.

Cuddlepop: "Tesco will not build another Tesco on this site. They have purchased The Mart so no one else can. As far as I'm aware they do this quiet a lot"

Nannydip; "Tescos have sites that have been bought just to stop competition moving in"

I'm intrigued, please tell me where all these places are that have been purchased by Tesco and they have just 'sat' on them..

I cant as its all hearsay i just remember over the years people inquiring about land and its been discovered Tesco have bought it.
    Would have to go on a land register to "officially " find out but as it doesnt directly affect my situation then I'll decline.

Now if it was a SEN issue,hold the front page.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

They don't have a land bank. There is no such thing as a land bank. Tesco is a growing business. Anybody can appreciate that you need to buy land ahead of developing a store. All the land that they have is in some stage of development for a Tesco store, here and around the world

Bekisman sorry I don't know how to post a link, plenty of info if you google Tesco undeveloped sites. There was also a documentry on tv last year showing some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dunderheed View Post
    and block off the only place the residents can park?? oh yeah they could always just park on the road and block it even more!!
    Why would the pavement be in front of the car park spaces? It's surely more sensible to build it behind a parking space?

Tesco will be building i have seen a Plan and know of a Petrol Pump supplier that has a Plan also so they can quote for the supply of Pumps.
    It will most likely be built by Barr of Ayr.

I know what/who Big A is and fully respect him - if he says it's going to be built; believe him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast