Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Writing inspired by the Flow Country

6greengates Guest

Default Writing inspired by the Flow Country

Dear all,

I am working on an exhibition for the RSPB team at Forsinard. I am currently researching any good poetry or prose which communicates the sense of place of that wild, open landscape. I have found some good extracts from Neil Gunn already (from Highland River in particular). I would be interested in poetry, even modern/abstract poetry, notably if it uses local dialect, as that is something Forsinard visitors don't always hear.

Any pointers would be very welcome and thank you in advance for your help.

6greengates Guest

Default Timescale for responses

I should also have mentioned that due to the writing timescale I would ideally like any ideas on this one before Monday 21st April. Many thanks!

Default Your request

Och I wish you had given us more time - cant you see many of us are Retired here, and just dont have much time to spare anymore (( he he he ))

Have you read 'The Magic of Caithness' If I recall there should be something in there.

How specific must the items be ? So much has been written about the wild moorlands of Caithness.

I will try my best - in between spring cleaning - to find something for you. And I hope others will do the same.

Best wishes
    Trinkie

Default Your request

from the aforementioned book page 160.

The Moors of Caithness
    By George Mowat
    From The Magic of Caithness.

It is long since I left my native land,
    Where all my forebears lie,
    Where the wind blows keen o’er vacant moors,
    Beneath the dome of the sky.
    But I shall never forget that land
    Nor the feel of the sun and the rain,
    Nor the mile upon mile of heather in bloom,
    Across the treeless plain.

I still can see the gleaming snow
    With its mantle over all,
    And I still can hear the drumming snipe
    And the curlew’s haunting call.
    That call will always summon me,
    Wherever I may roam,
    And bring to mind the kindly years
    At Halsary my home.

The salmon will run by Cattag Stream
    On their journey from the sea.
    The swan and the wild goose will take their rest,
    Beside Ben Alisky.
    And I like them will come again,
    No matter where I be,
    For Morven, the Pap, and the Scaraben
    Have put their spell on me.

Though time and age may make me frail,
    That spell will hold me fast
    And bring me thoughts of peace and quiet,
    And comfort to the last.
    Though my bones will lie in the city’s smoke
    Beside those loved by me,
    My spirit will wander the Caithness Moors,
    Till all eternity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When was that area called The Flow Country? 1960s perhaps.
    The earlier poets would have referred to it as The Moorland I think ... Please correct me if I'm wrong .

Default Flow Country

Exile Thochts
    By Kaitness Boyag
    c.1950

Far fae ‘e curlew’s cry A write
    O’all ‘at’s nearest ma heart,
    O’ loch an’ stream an’ rocky height
    Bitter-sweet is mem’ry’s dart.

Far fae ‘e whaup’s lonely call,
    Ma mind goes back till ‘e hills,
    Sunset on ‘e river, heather in ‘e fall;
    ‘e hush fin twilight stills.

Far fae ‘e soond o’ ‘e hooded owl –
    ‘E fleeting pictur’s race !
    Far icy winds o’ winter howl
    Across ‘e braes dreich face !

Trees by ‘e lochside mirror’s clear
    King Morven wi’ halo white,
    Summer’s enchantment an’ fragrant air –
    O for a glimpse o’ Kaitness tonight !

Far fae ‘e chochad’s plaintive whine,
    A close ma eyes an’ dream,
    Prayin’ A’ll return to iss land o’ mine
    An’ to every well-kent scene !

6greengates Guest

Default Thank you - and the derivation of Forsinard?

That's exactly the sort of thing I am after, much appreciated. It may be we only use a line or two but it all builds up to a greater sense of place. Anything with Caithness/Sutherland dialect is particularly good too. Can anyone by the way offer an etymology of Forsinard - closest I've come is 'Forss' (waterfall in Old Norse) and Ard (height, point and place in Gaelic).

Thank you and keep 'em coming, anyone else out there!

6greengates Guest

Default Sources of poems/extracts

It would also be extremely helpful if I could get the date of the poem/prose extract and any contact details for the author or publisher, just so we can make contact for permission to use any we select.

Don't want much, do I!

For interest, I'm about to post another request about the Railway which runs through Forsinard on the relevant section. I'm curious as to why there are old points levers in the building which is now the RSPB visitor centre when there is a signal box on site too. Please pass on to any retired railwayment you know!

Many thanks again.

Default Flow Country

If
    By Alexander Miller

If blackchock fusles on a tree
    If sprowgie cheeps lek fit til dee
    If gullag skirls ower angry sea
    Til me they’re Kaitness

Dark broodan cliffs, a sandy shore,
    ‘E reek o’ peats, ‘e red deer’s roar,
    A hammal towng, a snecked door –
    Til me they’re Kaitness.

Hid disna maitter far A be,
    There’s things mean chnist wan place til me –
    A flag-fenced coonty ‘side ‘e sea.
    Ma ain dear Kaitness.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alex Miller 1900-1945 b. Glasgow of Caithness parents.
    A Journalist, trained Dundee with Thompson. Later with Peoples Journal.

Default Flow Country

‘E Caithness Midgie
    by Caithness Violinist ( Robert MacKay)
    this appeared in the Caithness Courier c. 1948

Ye’ll meet ‘im here, ye’ll meet ‘im ‘ere,
    By rodie, park or bridgie,
    There’s no a pest on a’ ‘e earth
    Can rouse ye lek a midgie.

He’ll sample baith yer airms and leygs,
    He’ll mak ye cross and fidgie,
    He’ll never let ye rest in peace,
    ‘E tantalizin midgie.

He’s blistered a’ ma nose and ears,
    A’m sprackled lek a pidgie,
    I try a smok’ till’ scer ‘im aff,
    But faith, he’s dour, ‘e midgie.

‘E shepherd herdin’ on ‘e hill,
    ‘E toff’s at’s in ‘e lodgie,
    ‘E love affairs o’ Jack and Jill,
    ‘S attended by ‘e midgie.

Ah’ve sailed ‘e seven ragin’ seas.
    An up ‘e Murrimbidgie,
    But roch altho’ they were at times,
    They’re neithing til ‘e midgie.

Againskt ‘e fleeag, moose an clo’k,
    ‘A hev a vil’ent grudgie,
    But, blast ‘e warst o’ insec’ trock,
    ‘E tempan, fooseum, midgie.

This poem was broadcast on BBC in Aug 1944 Aberdeen studios …. Delivered by Mr R MacKay.

a great Caithness favourite !

Default The Flow Country

Thochts on Sad Sichts
    ( On seeing a Row of Derelict Cottages on the Caithness Moorland .)
    By Hielin’ Laddie
    From the Caithness Courier c. 1951

Wance here far weeds the gairdens hide,
    An’ thatched roofs gape broken till ‘e sky,
    ‘E ploomen an their families used till bide,
    Here joy an’ sorrow kent in days gone by.

How quate noo, hoo deid they seem,
    Their walls floored peiper flappin in ‘e breeze,
    Hoo empty rooms far bairns were won’ till dream,
    Hoo purposeless yon totterin’ elder trees !

Here oft at doors on summer nicht
    ‘E menfolk sat an cracked on chair or stool,
    An’ here in winter neath a fitfu’ licht
    ‘E wee chiels did their lessons for ‘e school.

‘E sw…? till king far mothers bent
    An’ currant scones on floo’ery girdles fired.
    An’ filled ‘e cot we appetisin’ scent
    As, heavy-feeted, hom’ their men came tired !

An’ men an’ wives an’ bairns are gone,
    An’ through ‘e empty hooses swirls ‘e breeze,
    Like ever seekin frien’s, an finding non’
    An’ sighin’ through ‘e useless elder trees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Peat – Smooran’ Prayer
    By Jane Thomson.
    Taken from the Edinburgh John O’Groat Lit Magazine, dated 1972.

Oh Lord, we thank Thee for the peats
    We garner from the hill,
    We thank Thee for their heat and light,
    Thy grace be with us still.

And when I lay those large brown peats
    Upon the embers red,
    Keep thou their spark of life intact
    While we sleep safe in bed.

And when the morning light appears,
    A cheerful flame we ask,
    That man and bairn may have their meat,
    Before the daily task.

And, Lord, if one should die tonight,
    And leave this earthly land;
    Take thou the embers of that life,
    And ‘rest’ them in Your Hand.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Default The Flow Country

There's a very nice article in-
    Caithness Notebook No 5
    The Life of Robert Dick.
    by J A Williamson.

see page 15......'Throughout these early years in Thurso, Dick undertook many walks, some of them of quite remarkable duration, in search of botanical specimens and later on for fossils and geological information.........'

This section goes on to tell the story of his walk from Thurso to the top of Morven..... Dick remarks - ' Sixty miles is a good walk to look at a hill. Oh those plants, those weary plants.'

I think this little booklet is still in print, I'm sure you will find it interesting.

Trinkie

6greengates Guest

Once again Trinkie I do thank you. The smoorin' prayer is particularly good. You have a great retrieval system!

Verity

Default The Flow Country

CAITHNESS BIRDS
    By Sinclair A.M. Manson.
    From the Edinburgh John O’Groat magazine, 1974

(Mr Manson, has very kindly agreed to this being submitted to Caithness.org And for that I am most grateful, as I love this article and through it wander around Caithness with his stories and valued information .)

The birds of Caithness remain, even in this day of atomic energy establishments and possible oil-rig construction sites, one of the county’s assets, providing for the bird-watcher many rare and beautiful species peculiar to these
    Northern shores. For Caithness, through its position and relief acts as a cross-roads between the bird-life of the North Isles and the Highlands, such that one finds in the county, birds typical of both areas.

In considering our bird-life, we can divide the county into its different habitats, and describe the birds found in each, from the rocky headlands of the north coast, south west across the county to the mountain and hills of Morven and Scaraben.

It is perhaps along the coast that bird-life is most abundant. For in late spring and early summer, the many headlands are alive with the clamours and calls of the many seabirds, come ashore to nest. Here we find fulmars, puffins, guillemots, kittiwakes and razorbills. In the goes, black guillemot nest among the boulders strewn at the foot of the cliff. Herons also nest on the cliffs and rockdove dwell in the deep caves.

On at least one headland great skuas nest, and there are many colonies of herring and great black-backed gulls. Wheatear and stonechats also frequent the headlands. Gannets, although not nesting, are seen in the summer months fishing off the coast. Their nearest breeding station is on Sule stack, to the west of Orkney.

As we leave the cliffs, we come onto the sheltered bays with their fine beaches and rocky shelves, and here are to be found a multitude of other coastal species, especially in the autumn and spring many being migrants passing to and from more northern lands. One can meet with curlew, whimbrel, godwits, dunlin, oyestercatcher, plover, redshank. Many of these species nest in Caithness itself.
    Ducks, divers and cormorants shelter and feed in the bays. The great northern diver, considered more often as a winter visitor, often summers here. Rafts of eider-duck gather over the mussel-beds to feed and widgeon during the winter months lie off-shore waiting for the ebb tide to uncover their feeding grounds.

Flocks of gulls are always a common sight around Caithness shores often seen congregated around the fish-marts or following seine-netters into the harbour. They are now also a common scavenger around local refuse tips.

Around the bays lie most of the towns and villages of the county and here one finds all the common species associated with towns – starling, house sparrow, blackbird, blue tit, robin, jackdaw, wren, and a more recent newcomer, the collared dove. Autumn in Thurso, sees the gathering of huge flocks of starlings which swarm in from neighbouring farmland etc. to roost in the town. During the summer months, the swift is a common sight around towns and villages, as are members of the swallow family.

Woodlands have always been scarce in Caithness, but where there are trees one finds many small birds e.g. thrush, warbler, tit, wren etc., as well as larger species such as wood pigeon, rook, woodcock, pheasant, the latter two in selected spots. There are also a number of well established forestry plantations, and these provide homes for such species as the long-eared owl, and at Rumster, the black grouse.
    On the cultivated farmland, nest curlew, redshank, skylark, meadow pipit, partridge and corncrake, although the latter is much scarcer than in former times. And of course, here we meet with one of the better known in Caithness birds, the lapwing, or shochad, to give it its local name. The hedgerows, few and fast disappearing, harbour a charm of small birds – yellowhammer, chaffinch, greenfinch, twite. The corn bunting is also common locally. Kestrels remain fairly common, nesting on cliffs, quarries and occasionally trees. Everywhere, the hoodled crow is to be found.

In the poorer drained, low-lying mosses, short-eared owls nest and hen harriers are frequently met with.
    Of the rivers and lochs in the low ground, typical to be found are mute swans, mallard, teal, coot, moorhen, reed bunting, as well as black-headed gull colonies, and in winter large numbers of duck, whooper swans and geese.

Leaving behind the low ground, we come onto the uplands and moorlands which comprise so much of the county, stretching for many miles to the south-west up to the county march. Here there are studded clusters of dhu lochs.
    This must be considered the birding Mecca of Caithness. Here are throated divers, slavonian grebe, scoter, grey-lag goose, arctic skua, whimbrel, greenshank. Black-tailed godwit and red-necked phalarope have nested.
    Other moorland species to be met with are golden plover, red grouse, merlin, dunlin, wigeon, meadow pipit, skylark and cuckoo. The raven is common here and small flocks are frequent along the causeymire.

Finally we arrive at Morven and Scaraben, Here we find nesting ptarmigan, the grouse of the mountain, and on at least one mountain side golden eagles nest.

In this brief account of Caithness birds, I have only touched on the County’s avifauna. There are many other aspects which could be considered, especially seasonal changes and migration. Late summer sees the departure of the summer visitors ( swallow, warbler, corncrake, cuckoo etc.) Lapwings flock on the low ground and prepare for their departure south. The sea-birds have abandoned the headlands. Flocks of waders arrive on our shores and on the headlands, such as Noss Head, small migrants rest before passing on. Early October sees the arrival of the first skeins of grey geese. Flocks of snow bunting, redwing and fieldfare flock over farmland. Glaucous and Iceland gulls join our native species, around the harbours and the occasional little auk appears in the bays, during the winter months, and as winter passes, spring sees the return of the lapwing to the fields and the sea-birds to the dheadlands.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    End of Caithness Birds by Mr Manson written in 1974 - I wonder how the numbers and types of birds compare with today’s ?
    I hope I haven’t made too many mistakes – please let me know !

Trinkie

Thumbs down tony

Quote Originally Posted by 6greengates View Post
    It would also be extremely helpful if I could get the date of the poem/prose extract and any contact details for the author or publisher, just so we can make contact for permission to use any we select.

Don't want much, do I!

For interest, I'm about to post another request about the Railway which runs through Forsinard on the relevant section. I'm curious as to why there are old points levers in the building which is now the RSPB visitor centre when there is a signal box on site too. Please pass on to any retired railwayment you know!

Many thanks again.
    have already tried to explain the reason for the signal box at forsinard tony