Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Shared equity

Default Shared equity

Any truth in the rumour that the new houses at Oldwick are going to be part of the shared equity/housing association project? A friend of mine has just moved in and found out that the rest of the houses in her street are all rentals.
    Bagpuss

Don't really know for sure, but I heard that the planning for opposite Battery Rd is for low-cost/rental properties. Could this be what they heard?

No- it's Swanson Drive she'd heard about. Seems the builders built several houses which have not sold, and may now be putting them up for rental
    Bagpuss

I know the Shared Equity houses up at Harrow Hill in Wick are surrounded by houses that are rented out by the Housing Association. Only a few of the houses were put up for sale as Shared Equity Housing althought the houses are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    Any truth in the rumour that the new houses at Oldwick are going to be part of the shared equity/housing association project? A friend of mine has just moved in and found out that the rest of the houses in her street are all rentals.
    Have Pentland Housing not got some houses up there. Don't know exactly which area but do know they were building and they do "shared equity"
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    That's a bit of a curse is it not, having to share a street with people that rent.

We need to readjust our attitudes to that of other countries where rental is more common and property prices stay low because people are not sucked into the whole con of property as an investment.

Sure it has worked out wonderfully for a lot of people, but for society as a whole? On the back of this hyped market many people are now in negative equity and the whole idea of a family home has been eroded.

Friend who moved up there did so because her parents are disabled and needed her to be close to them- and they ended up not being able to sell their own house. Think she's worried because she has concerns about safety, and what happens if she has to sell up later.

I really admire her- she's working full time, having to caretake a business that's losing money(she often has to put her own pay in to it to pay workers) and doing studies as well as looking after two very old frail people. How many other folk are there who'd do so much for others and never ask anything in return? I phone her every week- she's got no-one else- and check to see they're okay.
    Bagpuss

It's a catch 22 situation. We rented for a while when we moved to Wick but then decided to buy which is actually more expensive for us. Rents in Wick at the moment are very good but with the regeneration of the area i wouldn't be surprised if we see a steep rise in private rentals very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    That's a bit of a curse is it not, having to share a street with people that rent.

more humour I deduce tbh...you must be feeling frivolous...people who pay their rent are one thing...people who rely on others to pay it for them long-term can be quite another...not always but often.

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    more humour I deduce tbh...you must be feeling frivolous...people who pay their rent are one thing...people who rely on others to pay it for them long-term can be quite another...not always but often.
    How very right you are Percy.