Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: SkullSplitter Orkney Ale

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Default SkullSplitter Orkney Ale

I had my very first Orkney beer tonight -- SkullSplitter Orkney Ale, which has a delicious malty flavour, and I highly recommend it! We live across 'e Beeg Pond now, so was quite surprised to find it here. After enjoying it with my dinner tonight, I did a Google search, and this is the info I garnered: http://www.legendslimited.com/skull.html

Michael Jackson's description is probably the most accurate one. (Doubt if it's *the* Michael Jackson, though, lol!)

Now all I need is some Orkney oatcakes and cheese....

novascotian Guest

Default Orkney oatcakes

Where are you sporran? I've just e-mailed Stockan and Gardens in Orkney to see if they did have their oatcakes on this side of the pond! No luck! Maybe if we send a joint plea? Agnes in Nova Scotia

What about Robertson's Fudge as well
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by novascotian
    Where are you sporran? I've just e-mailed Stockan and Gardens in Orkney to see if they did have their oatcakes on this side of the pond! No luck! Maybe if we send a joint plea? Agnes in Nova Scotia
    I touught some of the smaller shops, fish shops ect. did gardens oatcakes.

Default Orkney Fudge

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    What about Robertson's Fudge as well
    Och aye, Golach, Robertson's Orkney Fudge! How could I have forgotten that delicious sweet treat? It choost melts in yer mooth!

Skulsplitter is good but a few bottles do exactly what it says on the bottle!!

Default SkullSplitter Orkney Ale

I did wonder if that would be the case, lol, Doleve, with the ale being 8.5% alcohol by volume!

I only drank one 12 ounce bottle, so not really enough to feel any effect, good or bad. However, it was a nice complement to the chili con carne we had for dinner!
    Last edited by Sporran; 15-Nov-05 at 00:55.

Default Skull Splitter

You will find Skull Splitter in Binends in Wick, River Street, Wick.
    Chardonnay

Dark Island is a bit easyer to drink, and less of a skull splitter the next day

http://www.beerme.com/breweries/gb/sc/3071.shtml

Default Dark Island Orkney Ale

That one sounds yummy the way it's described in that website, Naefear! Must keep my eyes open for it! Will let you know what I think of it, if I do get my hands on a bottle (or two!)

Default Old Jock

Sporran
    I like this one "Old Jock" an East Lothian brewery "Broughtons" it is very nice though not as strong as Skullsplitter is id only 6.7% by vol but two of them are enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    That one sounds yummy the way it's described in that website, Naefear! Must keep my eyes open for it! Will let you know what I think of it, if I do get my hands on a bottle (or two!)
    You will also find Dark Island in Binends, they have a wide range of Ales and are quite often on offer!
    Chardonnay

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Sporran
    I like this one "Old Jock" an East Lothian brewery "Broughtons" it is very nice though not as strong as Skullsplitter is id only 6.7% by vol but two of them are enough for me
    Lol golach, I think ye've had too much Old Jock if ye think Broughton is in East Lothian. I think you're confusing it with the Belhaven brewery in Dunbar. But I agree with you: Old Jock is great stuff -- I much pefer Broughton Ales to any of Belheavup's efforts, and they're infinitely better than any of McSpewans heavups.

I'm not so keen on Orkney Ales and I don't like Dark Island much at all -- sorry.
    Last edited by DrSzin; 16-Nov-05 at 13:31.

You could always try some Old Fart Ale
    http://www.e-oldfart.com/ The Orkney Ales are quite good if you stick to a couple more than 6 and you are asking for trouble the next day

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Lol golach, I think ye've had too much Old Jock if ye think Broughton is in East Lothian. I think you're confusing it with the Belhaven brewery in Dunbar. But I agree with you: Old Jock is great stuff -- I much pefer Broughton Ales to any of Belheavup's efforts, and they're infinitely better than any of McSpewans heavups.

I'm not so keen on Orkney Ales and I don't like Dark Island much at all -- sorry.
    As always DrSzin I am glad to be corrected by someone who has been in his cups more than me, my excuse is that I was drinking Belhaven Best or was thinking of drinking Belhaven Best!!
    Last edited by golach; 16-Nov-05 at 17:28.