Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Scottish Tablet

Question Scottish Tablet

Does anyone have a good recipe for tablet?

I really need to know the method as well as the ingredients.

I have tried making tablet on a few occasions and it never turns out the same. First the tablet set so hard it almost broke my teeth, the next time it didn't even set. Can anyone help me?

Default Basic Tablet Recipe

500g / 1 lb granulated sugar
    50 g / 2 oz unsalted butter
    3 tbsp condensed milk
    150 ml / 1/4 pint water

Mix all ingredients together in a heavy pan and dissolve the sugar over a low heat stirring with a wooden spoon.
    Make sure all the crystals are melted - including those on the side of the pan.
    When all the sugar is dissolved, bring slowly to the boil and simmer until the so called "soft ball" stage is reached.
    To test this - drop a little syrup into some cold water and leave for a few minutes to cool. Pick it up and roll it between your fingers, it should roll into a soft ball. If it rolls into a hard ball or forms theads, you have let it boil too long and your tablet will be too hard.

When the proper stage is reached, place the pan on a cool surface and beat until the syrup starts getting grainy but stop before it begins to thicken.
    Pour into a greased tin and mark into squares before it sets.

I have some recipes for adding flavours to the basic tablet.
    Let me know if you are interested.

enjoy
    It takes 40 men with their feet on the ground to keep one man with his head in the air.
    Terry Pratchett "Small Gods"

Mines a bit basic but zillions of years old

2lb Sugar gran
    4ozs Butter
    1/4 pt Milk
    Tin Nestle condensed Milk
    pinch vanilla essence

use a good sturdy pan

melt sugar butter milk and drop vanilla til creamy white , add condensed milk
    boil til golden brown takes about 15-20 mins stirring all the time very important to keep stirring & beating pour into tins success every time but you will have a sore hand from stirring & beating but worth it
    Last edited by Anne x; 28-Mar-08 at 00:51. Reason: spelling
    Its nice to be nice

Thanks very much for your replies. I hope to try it out this weekend, so will let you know how it goes.

xx

would love to get some ideas for the tablet please

Use a hand held electric whisk for the final beating but take care to stop when the whisk starts to feel heavy. Whisk too much and it will set in the pan.