Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cyanide and the New Year Street Party

Uppiebalad Guest

so Uppie, I don't understand your comment about the crowd being "more with Cyanide than the second band". Did you capture the proof of your statement on your little camcorder you were going around with!?

A strangely petty comment here. I have a fair idea what you think I am but WHO you think I am is a completelly different issue. Of the many who were doing a sterling job with their 'little' camcorders, I wasn't one of them. In fact I don't even have one.

but that was the fault of the organisers. Surley they must have know as soon as they built the thing?!

Well we're all agreed that the stage needed to be bigger. We can't blame the organisers for it though. The scaffolders built the stage and they ain't experienced in requirements of stage construction. It would be helpful if the musicians discuss their needs with the organisers and they can then talk to the scaffolders about this to be sure that next years stage hits the right note. Entertainment has to involve the performers in planning as well as the group which runs the event.

Well done to Alisdair Wordie for being on the music scene for 40 years this year! (I hope thats what the announcer said anyway!) With that much experience he was bound to get it right!
    Great night, should definately become an annual event featuring different bands every year.[/quote]

Forty years going round Caithness town centre like boy racers waisting petrol. raaar, catty!

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Question confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Uppiebalad
    ]

Forty years going round Caithness town centre like boy racers waisting petrol. raaar, catty!
    what does that mean............uppie

lol i think its going back to his arguement about bands wasting talent. because to him music seems to be about making it big. when really its for fun you go as far s ya want. anyway its 40 years more than not beeing on the local scene atall so gud on AW eh

Issac Sutherland could do a good job no matter what conditions put under. He really knows his stuff, and it showed, he did a great job with the sound. And the guy doing the lights did a grand job too! (Sorry, don't know his name!)
    Uppie, do you play in a band??? If not then I suggest that you do not slag someone off for not getting out of their home town to do something "bigger and better with music". Obviously Alisdair Wordie enjoys what he does, and that's what counts.
    Besides, Uppie, what have you done with your hobbies out of Thurso/Caithness/Sutherland!?!?
    I think though, that AW Band could benifit from having a second guitarist, to free the current guitarist to do more with lead. To me a four piece would sound better than a three piece band.
    One song that I really did not enjoy on the night was "Sweet Home Alabama". That was due to the singer, her voice was wrong for the song, in my opinion. I think it is important that the singer chooses songs to suit their style. Even if it is a great song for guitar solos etc, poor vocals lets it down completely. Something which I assume will come with experience.
    Last edited by TopCatsPurr; 03-Jan-06 at 21:49.

Thats your opinion on her vocals. but everyone hasin the band gets a choice in what they want to play wots the point in being in a band when u cant be musically satisfied gettin gigs and playing to the public is a bonus. what makes you think none of the band have little experience in music ive been around and about scotland playing gigs with various bands. iv play with 2wind bands 2 big bands a jazz band the rock band and also thers a prog band on its way hopfully. i dont know what inexperiencd about that. but anyway thank u for your opinion they are apreciated i personally dont particularily like sweet home anymore its kidna been murderd we only playd it on sat ntie because we kidna underestimated our set time not to over do it so we threw it in.

Get of your high horse TdP. All criticism is worth listening to. Playing music is more about pleasing the audience than pleasing yourself if you want to get regular work. The opinion of the most ignorant punter is relevant. Experience takes years and years and The whole of Cyanide together do not have that many years between them no matter how many bands you have played in. The problem with most of the good musicians in Caithness is the problem of over inflated egos and always has been for longer than A.Wordie has been playing. Be glad that people listen enough to you to justify an opinion. I have never heard your band and therefore am not,under any circumstances, puting your music down.

i acceptd topcatspurr's opinion i thankd him for it did i not but i gave my views on gaining experience diversifying in ur music thats my view on experience but yes i think time plays a big part too. anyway rambling on in these threads makes them all that bit more interesting does it not gets a gud debate goin. but at no point did i not accept his opinion.

Uppiebalad Guest

Uppie, do you play in a band??? If not then I suggest that you do not slag someone off for not getting out of their home town to do something "bigger and better with music".

Is there a chip on your shoulder or a whole tray full from Robin's (best chips in the world). Your giving out that elitist view that if you don't play you don't know. It fails to see the reality that fans of bands the world over have an opinion which is as much relavent even without being able to play music. As is I write for tv, theatre and press and along the way have penned a number of songs for various productions. Please remember that Lionel Bart wrote the musical version of Charles Dickens' "Oliver" and yet he was tone deaf, could not read or write music and didn't play a single instrument. I don't have to play in a band to make relavent opinion and neither does anyone else. If we think a band was good we stick around to hear more otherwise we just walk away and write a bad review.
    Music is about making music whether for fun or for hitting the big time but the latter has to be about creating new music. Oscar Wilde wrote, "All creative activitey pre-supposes an audience" so make sure you remember that when you are writing your next masterpeice.

Obviously Alisdair Wordie enjoys what he does, and that's what counts.

Well obviously or he wouldn't have been doing it for forty years but I have seen him less than happy during a gig once upon a time in the 1980s- in fact he walked out on the band.

Besides, Uppie, what have you done with your hobbies out of Thurso/Caithness/Sutherland!?!?

A lot more than you will ever know about and a lot more than you are ever likely to do for yourself or anyone else.

I think though, that AW Band could benifit from having a second guitarist, to free the current guitarist to do more with lead. To me a four piece would sound better than a three piece band.

I agree, after all more instruments and players the wider the creative spectrum however the AW band may be very very happy as a 3 peice set-up.

One song that I really did not enjoy on the night was "Sweet Home Alabama". That was due to the singer, her voice was wrong for the song, in my opinion.

She may have slane that song (and boy does it need slaying) but she gave it her best shot and I wonder if anyone else her can pull the chords she managed. She's got talent there and the song "In A Dream" was performed well. Both bands made a few fluffs over the course of the event.

I think it is important that the singer chooses songs to suit their style.

Very true and playing covers is where these guys will learn their craft before branching out. Keep up the good work Cyanide, my money is on you guys and girl!

Your giving out that elitist view that if you don't play you don't know
    Well, I don't play either, but I wouldn't slag off someone for staying in Thurso with their music. I would however give my opinion if I thought something could be improved, constructive criticism, makes someone better doesn't it?!

A lot more than you will ever know about and a lot more than you are ever likely to do for yourself or anyone else.
    Elitist attitude have I?!? Well, there ain't nothing I've written which is more elitist than your comment. You don't know the first thing about me, so how can you possibly come out with a comment like that?!?!

Seems like you have a chip on your shoulder about anyone with an opinion.

Default Chips

Uppie is obviously well balanced ,, he has a chip on both shoulders
    Those that play play and those that can't become critics and experts.
    A singer who can sing chords is rare indeed and if Uppie says that she pulled some chords then we must believe him. After all he is our resident expert about everything about music,movies,ironmongers,opticians and everything else.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 04-Jan-06 at 00:23.

I love how threads can just spiral out of control into a big argument. Its awesome.

I never heard any of the bands. I'm sure it was a good night.

One thing that annoys me about threads like this, is when people criticise a band, the typical response is "do you play in a band?"

What a lame ass come back. People have the right to their opinions and if they whether they do or don't play in a band has no relevance whatsoever.

TdP... I was actually thinking when I was walking home from work if you'd have tuning problems. It turned out you did. Always a problem with outside gigs. Ask for a heater on stage next time. Did Gary and Sprite seem more excited this time?

Uppiebalad Guest

[quote=Jeid]I love how threads can just spiral out of control into a big argument. Its awesome.

Yussarree, I agree!

Where did I slag off anyone for not leaving Caithness?
    Where did I say my work was better than anyone elses?
    Where did I critisize people for not being in a band and then admit not being in a band myself? (aha!)
    Who the heck thinks I'm the "resident expert"?
    Am I treading on other resident experts' opinion?

Some of you aught to be in the US army the way you fire without looking!
    The world is bigger than you and I and the music industry considerably bigger than your average wedding dance.
    Why has the music industry never taken Caithness seriously?
    Estrella, Boss Hogg, Budha Crush, Gamma Delta, All Stitched Up all left Caithness- should we critisise them for leaving? I don't think so because if any one of them becomes the next music sensation it is through them that the media spotlight might finally shine on Caithness talent.

MORE SALT FOR THE RAW WOUNDS PLEASE!

What the...

You know, in some of your posts... you just slever lots of rubbish.

[quote=UppiebaladWhy has the music industry never taken Caithness seriously?
    Estrella, Boss Hogg, Budha Crush, Gamma Delta, All Stitched Up all left Caithness- should we critisise them for leaving? I don't think so because if any one of them becomes the next music sensation it is through them that the media spotlight might finally shine on Caithness talent.
    [/quote]

We're still in Caithness. We do ok for ourselves.
    We do more gigs out of Caithness than we do in Caithness but we are still a Caithness based band with all but one of our members living and working in Caithness.

Cheers

Uppiebalad Guest

Thanks Jeid, but rubbish when compared to what- the rubbish that frequently turns up in here? Thank goodness I don't loose sleep over this forum!
    Thanks Boss, I stand partly corrected and partly point proven. Life is a learning curve. I love learning.

I never compared it to anything. You just seem to ramble about nothing. Most of the posts on here are rubbish. Most of my posts are rubbish. You just seem to go off on one whenever you see the opportunity.

Uppiebalad Guest

That's the very thing Reid. You and I along with some members recognise the drivel for what it is in here. But not everything I have said is rubbish. Part of the issue here is EGO. Many people here are well experienced and knowledgable in the musical field. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot who think they are 'experts' and don't like anything that seems to challenge their supposed wisdom.They all seem to know each other but they don't know me. So when I come in with something they'd sooner not believe there is every effort made to discredit the words. Let's look again. I work in the arts and I am based in London. I work with professionals and amateurs in all kinds of arts works. All over the UK there are people of great talent including Caithness but Caithness is the only county in the whole country that is so scarred to express itself out of fear of ridicule. If you don't like what I say some of you will try to tear strips of me but do I worry? No! because I know in work and life generally I don't always get it right. No matter how many years I continue in the arts, no matter how much experience I have I will not sit here thinking I know better. I've had bad reviews for my work- all just parr with the course and nothing to get up tight about. If I think someones work is trash I'll say so. What's the point of encouraging folly?
    In Caithness there is so much talent but it is repressed not just generally but from within it's own circle. Musicians who want to go places with their work being dicouraged by musicians who are happy to play covers and do wedding, sun, rain, war and Bettyhill Billy dances. There's nothing worse for talent than 'wisdom' from those who never tried.

Quickly remind you of the words of Oscar Wilde, "All creativity pre-supposes an audience"

I'm aware that the first time a new bandstand in Thurso was mentioned was back in 1998 and it wasn't a musician who suggested it. It was supported then and is supported here in this forum. Are all my words rubbish? Not every response to me has been negative but as I say bad reviews are parr with course. I am no expert but I know my job and my artistic abilities and limitations- do you people know yours? Do you want to admit having limitations? Such is the harsh glare of reality.

If it's rubbish you want try the Island of Dogs.

Default Music and Caithness

A fairly well known musician from Wick once likened the local music scene to a box of crabs.If you put a lot of crabs in a box, there is no need to put a lid on the box or restrain the crabs. If one tries to climb out,all the others will do their best to pull it back!!!

Uppie, if you are based in London, and you were in Thurso on Fun day and Hogmanay (twice in one month all the way from London!), is your work not going very well that you can afford to take such time off?! A busy man like yourself n' all.

That's the very thing Reid. You and I along with some members recognise the drivel for what it is in here. But not everything I have said is rubbish. Part of the issue here is EGO. Many people here are well experienced and knowledgable in the musical field. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot who think they are 'experts' and don't like anything that seems to challenge their supposed wisdom.They all seem to know each other but they don't know me. So when I come in with something they'd sooner not believe there is every effort made to discredit the words. Let's look again. I work in the arts and I am based in London. I work with professionals and amateurs in all kinds of arts works. All over the UK there are people of great talent including Caithness but Caithness is the only county in the whole country that is so scarred to express itself out of fear of ridicule. If you don't like what I say some of you will try to tear strips of me but do I worry? No! because I know in work and life generally I don't always get it right. No matter how many years I continue in the arts, no matter how much experience I have I will not sit here thinking I know better. I've had bad reviews for my work- all just parr with the course and nothing to get up tight about. If I think someones work is trash I'll say so. What's the point of encouraging folly?
    In Caithness there is so much talent but it is repressed not just generally but from within it's own circle. Musicians who want to go places with their work being dicouraged by musicians who are happy to play covers and do wedding, sun, rain, war and Bettyhill Billy dances. There's nothing worse for talent than 'wisdom' from those who never tried.

Quickly remind you of the words of Oscar Wilde, "All creativity pre-supposes an audience"

I'm aware that the first time a new bandstand in Thurso was mentioned was back in 1998 and it wasn't a musician who suggested it. It was supported then and is supported here in this forum. Are all my words rubbish? Not every response to me has been negative but as I say bad reviews are parr with course. I am no expert but I know my job and my artistic abilities and limitations- do you people know yours? Do you want to admit having limitations? Such is the harsh glare of reality.

If it's rubbish you want try the Island of Dogs.
    I don't have problems with what you say, I have no problems with you. I just find that everytime I enter a post and your name is in it its always

"bring back the band stand"

Ok, we know we need to do something to regenerate interest. We know that our little enclosed county full of people with closed minds and closed attitudes needs to open up. We know that we need bands to realise their potential. What I feel we don't need, is someone continually(and correct me if I'm wrong, but it has been) shoving it down our throats.

What I find most annoying Uppie, is that you're telling the people of Caithness what they need, but your not willing to offer any assistance or guidance. I don't disagree with what you want, because I'd love for all the things to be happening. What I disagree with is your constant rants and general lack of assistance to the community.

I spoke to "The Pepsi Challenge" in the pub today, very briefly I should add, but he said he would of been willing to come to the Blue Monday meeting on Wednesday if he could of stayed up. He's at least said he would of come along. You seem to just want action. Of all the people on the boards that "works with people across the UK", you should know that things take time. Progress is made in small steps. Its a small community with a small interest in music. We can't expect to have everything perfect, but with support from the right people, we can get there.

If you want to help, pm me. I'll be going to the Blue Monday meeting on Wednesday. I can take your ideas to this meeting and put it to everyone. Stop hiding behind your nickname and assist your community.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast