Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASDA, getting it or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ASDA, getting it or not?

Hi,

What is happening with ADSA?

Are we getting it or not?

Never heard anything for ages...

Derek

From being long odds-on it is looking less likely all due to unfair Caithness Council voting. Six members attended - 5 had 1 vote and one had two votes. Very democratic result 4 - 3 all due to that chap with odd spelt name - I think it's Graeme Storm who cost Thurso millions in loads of ways - jobs, pollution, convenience etc.
    He should have been sacked like the Aberdeen Council did with their joke of a leader.

Angry Asda

I emailed Asda about them coming to Thurso, the reply was not at this moment in time.

You have a Tesco, Co-op and Lidl.

How many supermarkets do you need?

The extra you pay in petrol is maybe an average of £250 a year.

You would save some of that by walking to the shops now and then.

Why not just move to the city, if you want all that a city has?

sorry to say this but i for one am pleased that asda isnt coming to thurso, aye they go on about all the new jobs they will create but what about the jobs that will be losed because of asda, it would be wick town centre all over again, if people are so keen for these big shop then move to inverness.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Talking asda

i said all along it was never to be and still stand by it, they were however close. lol

Angry Why not have an ASDA...

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    sorry to say this but i for one am pleased that asda isnt coming to thurso, aye they go on about all the new jobs they will create but what about the jobs that will be losed because of asda, it would be wick town centre all over again, if people are so keen for these big shop then move to inverness.
    That is so not true, if smaller businesses are aware that a big company is coming, they should make more of an effort with their business strategies in advance. They should be proactive rather than reactive. Small businesses in Caithness have been able to charge over the odds for years. They are now running scared as they have never had to deal with the issue of competition before. They need to consider the added value they give to customers and promote it more effectively. I know Tesco is seen as the big bad shark but they are just giving customers what they want.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by Loch not Lock View Post
    From being long odds-on it is looking less likely all due to unfair Caithness Council voting. Six members attended - 5 had 1 vote and one had two votes. Very democratic result 4 - 3 all due to that chap with odd spelt name - I think it's Graeme Storm who cost Thurso millions in loads of ways - jobs, pollution, convenience etc.
    He should have been sacked like the Aberdeen Council did with their joke of a leader.
    Was it not Graeme Smith - councilllor for WICK!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    Wasn't it Aberdeenshire Council and didn't they sack the chairman of the planning committee, not their leader?
    Last edited by gollach; 24-Mar-08 at 16:53. Reason: spelling

Who cares about Asda?! What about this new retail park in Wick? We don't need another big supermarket as much as we need more decent shops!

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Who cares about Asda?! What about this new retail park in Wick? We don't need another big supermarket as much as we need more decent shops!
    Easy seen that you are not one of those making a 40 mile round trip to go to "decent shops" you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    That's correct blackcat, sorry. It was grossly unfair vote. Horrible little man doing everything to get Wick back on the map to the detriment of Thurso.

Does anyone not wonder how the small population up here finances these massive companies... they run at a loss up here just to keep a 'street presence' and offset tax's... I would expect these companies accountants are buying time for the sake of owners/shareholders... as i do being self employed...

expect a proposal within a fortnight...

Good point Angel, there's a general feeling up here that 'something must be happening' as we have a sudden rush of large retailers into the area.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory that there's something going off and nobody is telling.
    It's more to do with the fact that these businesses are awash with cash. Now that they have achieved dominance in the prime site sector, they can afford to move into less profitable areas (areas they would have run a mile from 10 years ago), rather than hand over the dosh to the taxman.

The whole thing then becomes self-propogating, where one retailer takes the plunge, others will see a focal point for customers and want to build alongside to feed off the supply of punters. Result? A nice business park or two.

BUT, the supply of customers is definitely finite up here. You can only build so many sustainable units in one area. Bear in mind that the total population of Caithness and Sutherland is less than a lot of relatively small towns down South. - So dont expect Wick's stores to be replicated in Thurso.

Sorry for being the bringer of bad news folks but I have it, from a very reliable source, that the mart site has been bought from Miller Developments by TESCO

With a store already in the town I personally doubt they'll bother developing it themselves, so it looks like it's just to stop anyone else from getting in.

I thought there was legislation stopping that now?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    I thought there was legislation stopping that now?

Anyone?

Regarding land banking, I found this, which would imply it's not illegal - unless there's been some moves in Scotland alone.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news...permarkets.php

Might be something useful on here. But i think they may have a rather large axe to grind.....
    http://www.tescopoly.org/index

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Sorry for being the bringer of bad news folks but I have it, from a very reliable source, that the mart site has been bought from Miller Developments by TESCO

With a store already in the town I personally doubt they'll bother developing it themselves, so it looks like it's just to stop anyone else from getting in.
    What Source ? Miller Group have this site listed as for sale as at 14.oo hrs today.

Looks like we ain't going to get a "bringer" of better fuel prices in Thurso then

I do love shopping in Tesco but do not like the way they buy land for no other reason than to stop competition.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast