Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Faces on Latheron Wall

Default Faces on Latheron Wall

Can anyone tell me the history behind the 3 faces on the wall as you approach the junction at the Latheron Post Office (from the Causewaymire direction). I have heard that it is something to do with a farmer who killed his sons and then carved their faces onto the wall as a memorial. I have asked loads of people and no-one has ever heard of it. I have shown the faces to several people but feel a bit daft not being able to tell the story behind it so if anyone can tell me I would be greatful.

Thanks

Jennifer

Default stone faces at Latheron

When i was renovating my cottage in Latheron the builder who we used at the time told me that the faces were carved by his grandfather. Sadly over the years some of the faces have been stolen, I think that only one now remains.

Default Faces on Latheron Wall

Does anyone have any photographs of the faces

I'd like to see them.
    Thanking you
    SD

Default Re: Faces on Latheron Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Darlings
    Does anyone have any photographs of the faces

I'd like to see them.
    Thanking you
    SD
    So would I. I've never noticed the faces, but then I have very seldom come down that way.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

The faces were done by a man called Dan Lamont who lived in the cottage. He had a lot of grand children living in Wick and Lybster. He was an old retired man 45 years ago and did lots of stonework. His son Willie did the stonework on the cutting on the A9 by Latheronwheel Hotel.