Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: No direct sunlight

Default No direct sunlight

I have a corner in my garden that never sees direct sunlight.
    Can anyone suggest anything that would grow well here
    Plants,shrubs,etc.

ferns and hostas

If its quite a wet area then gunnera survives up here
    Last edited by changilass; 24-Mar-08 at 13:44.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Good question Changilass. I have a courtyard that never sees direct sun and am wanting to put some tubs of plants around. I'd also like to grow something up one of the walls just to break up the expanse.
    Any ideas?

try this for a wall that is in shade

Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris

Smile

My back garden has clay soil and hardly gets any sunlight in one area and through trial and error I have a few things that have grown quite well, they are as follows Astillbe's, Sea Holly, Fox Gloves, Wild Geraniums, Butterfly Bushes and Escallonnias (excuse the spelling) The Escallonnias are evergreen too so they would provide colour all year round, they produce small flowers in the summer. I have found that they grow really quickly too. Hope this will be of some help to you and happy gardening.

Default on a north facing wall