Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridies

Default Bridies

I have discovered Bridies over the last couple of weeks..I was wondering if anyone has a recipie for home-made ones, genuine recipie, or variations of would be great.....Grandmas recipie .......................

Default Forfar Bridies

For the pastry

400g/12 oz plain flour
    100g/3 oz margarine
    100g/3 oz beef dripping
    Water to mix
    Salt

Mix the dripping and margarine together.
    Sift the flour and salt.
    Rub the fat into the flour with your fingers, adding just enough water to make a stiff dough.
    Divide into four and roll into large ovals.
    Leave to rest.

Or you can use frozen puff pastry if you like that better.

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6

The filling

500g / 1 lb rump or topside beef
    75g/3 oz finely chopped beef suet
    2 finely chopped medium onions
    Salt & black peppper

Beat the steak out thin and cut roughly into 1 cm / 1/2 inch pieces. (If you are using a cheaper cut of meat, mince it).
    Put the meat into a bowl and mix with the onions, suet and seasoning. divide into four.
    Cover half of each pastry oval with the meat mixture leaving space at the edges for sealing.
    Wet the edges of the pastry, fold over and crimp together.
    Make a hole in the top to let the steam out.
    Bake on a greased baking sheet for about 45 min.

Eat hot or cold

By the way - Cornish Pasties are made the same way, but they have potatoe added to the meat mixture.

Enjoy
    It takes 40 men with their feet on the ground to keep one man with his head in the air.
    Terry Pratchett "Small Gods"

Quote Originally Posted by dellwak View Post
    For the pastry

400g/12 oz plain flour
    100g/3 oz margarine
    100g/3 oz beef dripping
    Water to mix
    Salt

Mix the dripping and margarine together.
    Sift the flour and salt.
    Rub the fat into the flour with your fingers, adding just enough water to make a stiff dough.
    Divide into four and roll into large ovals.
    Leave to rest.

Or you can use frozen puff pastry if you like that better.

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6

The filling

500g / 1 lb rump or topside beef
    75g/3 oz finely chopped beef suet
    2 finely chopped medium onions
    Salt & black peppper

Beat the steak out thin and cut roughly into 1 cm / 1/2 inch pieces. (If you are using a cheaper cut of meat, mince it).
    Put the meat into a bowl and mix with the onions, suet and seasoning. divide into four.
    Cover half of each pastry oval with the meat mixture leaving space at the edges for sealing.
    Wet the edges of the pastry, fold over and crimp together.
    Make a hole in the top to let the steam out.
    Bake on a greased baking sheet for about 45 min.

Eat hot or cold

By the way - Cornish Pasties are made the same way, but they have potatoe added to the meat mixture.

Enjoy

Cheers for that...I will enjoy....I love cornish pasties aswell, but the Bridie definately has it over the cornish.....

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Cheers for that...I will enjoy....I love cornish pasties aswell, but the Bridie definately has it over the cornish.....
    Oh justine, I would run for the hills if I were you, there are one or two Oggie landers on the Org and they will be gunning for you
    By the way a Tiddy Oggie is a Cornish Pastie
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Oh justine, I would run for the hills if I were you, there are one or two Oggie landers on the Org and they will be gunning for you
    By the way a Tiddy Oggie is a Cornish Pastie

So whats new.....
    I do like the cornish but it has to be a proper one...And before i get jumped on by the Oggie Landers, i thought the pasty was originally from Devon...or am i worng...

you havent taster a bridie unless you have been to forfar, my dad comes from there and my gran always takes them up, they are the best ever and absoultely massive!!!! yummy
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    you havent taster a bridie unless you have been to forfar, my dad comes from there and my gran always takes them up, they are the best ever and absoultely massive!!!! yummy
    Look like im off to Forfar.............any orders....

Look like im off to Forfar.............any orders....
    Get me an ingan ain an aw please Justine

Get me an ingan ain an aw please Justine
    can i have that in written english, i would get you it if i knew what you wanted.i know an aw is aswell i think.....

ok my oh just told me what you mean.

Not exactly authentic but I make the filling by throughly mixing equal quantities of mince and sausagemeat. Then adding finely chopped onions and a grated potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Not exactly authentic but I make the filling by throughly mixing equal quantities of mince and sausagemeat. Then adding finely chopped onions and a grated potato.

Thats sounds like the ones i have tried.I could not make up my mind whether it was just mashed mince with potato..Cheers i will definately have a go...if it dont work i will have to head south....

Talking ERRRRR UMMMM Excuse me!

Bridies TAKE preference over PROPER pasties!
    I was making Teddy Oggies last week in Caithness for the locals and although the recipe looks similar I wil defend a PROPER oggie to the death.

Now there's a challenge, you can bake me a Bridie an' I will bake you an' Oggie and lets see which is best.

He he, just out of interest I added the ingredients in to the weight watchers site, basically if you have 1 bridie you aint getting owt else for the day lol

but worth it

Hing on there folks, just noticed Lizz's post, if you are having a bake off I feel it is only fair for me to be official taste tester, but will have to say you will have to go a long way to better one of her Oggies
    Last edited by changilass; 23-Mar-08 at 01:08. Reason: Staking my claim as a taste tester
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Changi - I wish to throw down the gauntlet & challenge you for the post of official taste tester. I feel that I am suitably qualified for the position (in that I am a greedy sod who enjoys his grub) and feel it quite unfair that you promote yourself unchallenged!

There, said it !

Sod orf Bob, I got there first.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Bridies TAKE preference over PROPER pasties!
    I was making Teddy Oggies last week in Caithness for the locals and although the recipe looks similar I wil defend a PROPER oggie to the death.

Now there's a challenge, you can bake me a Bridie an' I will bake you an' Oggie and lets see which is best.
    Do i get a couple of practise runs first...... as for the testers i think the two cooks should taste eachothes before bob, changilass get their hands on them....Only fair...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Changi - I wish to throw down the gauntlet & challenge you for the post of official taste tester. I feel that I am suitably qualified for the position (in that I am a greedy sod who enjoys his grub) and feel it quite unfair that you promote yourself unchallenged!

There, said it !
    Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Sod orf Bob, I got there first.
    Clear off, you gannets, you have vested interests, I should be the official Oggy / Bridie taster, as I have epicurian tastes, and I would be impartial honest!!!! And Justine you take a couple of practice runs and then let us know when your ready to win errr, take part

Do i get a couple of practise runs first...... as for the testers i think the two cooks should taste eachothes before bob, changilass get their hands on them....Only fair...
    Can I get the results of your practice runs missus

Clear off, you gannets, you have vested interests, I should be the official Oggy / Bridie taster, as I have epicurian tastes, and I would be impartial honest!!!! And Justine you take a couple of practice runs and then let us know when your ready to win errr, take part
    Question is are you brave enough to taste the testers, before i em err win, sorry take part with the real things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast