Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Seeds!

Default Seeds!

What am I doing wrong? Every year I have a go at sowing various different types of seeds but they never come up.
    I sowed some tomato seeds and cucumber seeds 10 days and so far - nowt! Not even a smidging of an appearance. I've sown other types of seeds too this year but nothings coming up. Incidentally they're all grown in a propagator (unheated) inside a double glazed greenhouse.
    Any ideas?
    I really don't want to have to resort to plug plants for absolutely everything but it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to. Or am I just not giving them enough time? most seed packets says 7-14 days so I would have hoped to see something by now. I go away for 2 weeks next week and if there's still nothing when I get back I think I should give up on them huh?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Default seeds

Give them time. Bottom heat is nearly essential for starting off tomatoes, and lots of other seeds. Invest in a small heated propagator. It will last for years, and well worth the cost. Have had one on the go for nearly 20 years.

As we're taught in school....seeds need WOW to propagate...

Water
    Oxygen
    Warmth
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Oh eck! I thought the propagator would be warm enough. Seems not. The propagator does sit on polystyrene if that helps? And it is in a very warm greenhouse.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Try putting them in the dark for a while? maybe they're too damp or too dry? Give them time if it's only been 10 days

Default seeds

If you want to try putting seeds in the dark, just cover with a piece of damp newspaper, and keep it damp. I wrap the whole seed tray in clingfilm, and this seems to keep in the moisture, without it drying up too much.

Good luck!