Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Council Cutbacks, kids lose out

Evelyn, you obviously can not read properly, my argument is that the kids(all those who use these facilities, NOT, just mine) are having less to do what they enjoy by reducing the time the gates will be open. Not that it is any of your business, but my kids do have plenty of interests to fill there time, you may be the kind of parent that wants rid of their kids by forcing them to go to clubs, but I dont my kids only go to what they enjoy and they do just that. Bare in mind the summer holidays are very close and to my knowledge there is nowhere that offers entertainment for kids from 9am - 9pm. I have done and still do my bit for kids in the area.

OOOH Tosh, don't ye love an argument!! Settle down now and organise a few anger management classes for yersel.
    Yes I can read, I haven't missed the point, I may have strayed a little, but I get fed up with Wick being slagged off. The point I was trying to make is that there is plenty for the kids to do if we look for it. We know that the council aren't prioritising kid's play areas, so we have to find other ways to amuse them and I never find that a problem.
    Organised clubs are a start, and even in the holidays the council has a brilliant summer activity programme.
    We have lovely beaches nearby, and on even a cold day well wrapped up kids can make their own fun.
    Rock pools are a treat, relatively safe roads for cycling, big open areas for playing football, rounders etc,a clean well maintained swimming pool, beautiful coastlines for walks and picnics...and so on.
    I can't see that its going to make an awful lot of difference reducing the opening times of the Rosebank Playing Fields. Yes it lessens our choices, but there is still loads of time to play there. We just need to be more flexible.
    Over the years I have spent quite a lot of time there and, as Bill suggested, it is very often empty. ..the ladies who work there have stated so. I agree it is in a dreadful state of disrepair and could do with a revamp, but at the end of the day its not worth getting our pants in a twist about a reduction in opening hours.
    Evelyn

Well Evelyn we can see why things are as bad as they are with people like you. Its only a few hours this year and maybe a few more next year and the next and the next, and so on, we might as well let them close the gates now . Yes the place can be empty sometimes, that depnds on the weather, but it still manages to make a few thousand pound in a season, so it must be getting used by someone.

jjc Guest

Tosh,

Just a quick question… how busy do you think that Rosebank is between noon and 2pm?

Personally, I don’t know… but I am guessing that LUNCHTIME is possibly when it is at its quietist (at least it should be since that is when kids should be eating).

Okay, so Rosebank manages to pull in a few thousand pounds in a season… big deal! After paying the staff, maintenance bills, equipment costs, insurance premiums, and simply taking into account the value of the land that could have other uses, do you really think a few thousand pounds makes a big difference? Of course it doesn't.

The chances are that the council already runs Rosebank at a loss. The chances are also pretty good that the budget was set based on previous budgetary figures (probably before they new about this new legislation). So they are now faced with an increased requirement due to European legislation? Which would you rather they do; cut funds from elsewhere to make up the shortfall, or recognise that by closing over LUNCHTIME they can remove the deficit and keep the service during other times?

If you really believe that the council should keep Rosebank open over lunchtimes regardless of increased costs – where are they going to get the extra funding from?

Pick something that is unimportant to anybody, something that benefits nobody, helps nobody, and something that really won't be missed. It also has to have sufficient funds allocated to it to pay for Rosebank's deficit for the entire year.

Oh, and it has to be something to which the funds haven't already been assigned and spent, because if the council have spent £600k setting up a project and then cut the funds required to maintain it this year in order to keep Rosebank open over lunchtime, I think there may be questions asked.

So, Tosh, name your cutback!!!

Wasting your energy gurning on a messageboard isn't going to change things Tosh.Therefore you are equally as complacent about the situation as I .
    However if you have put your point to the council or organised a petition, I take my hat off to you for standing up for what you believe to be right.
    Look forward to seeing you chained to the gates soon.
    Evelyn

JJC, one thing they could cutback on is the amount of money they give councilors in subsistance.
    Evelyn, I have been doing something other than moaning , but thats hush hush for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12