Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £10

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Default £10

went to the mill today toget stuff called pink grip, same as no nails but a bit better, anyway the mill was £2 plus VAT a tube (large), for some reason or other went to HOMEBASE there it was on the shelf (smaller tube) £9.99, how can they get away with that, surely people arent that silly to pay that kind of money, went on to look at the silicon OMG £ 7.99, usual price about £2.30, ifit was just 1 tube might not have been so bad but i needed 5,
    wood mill £11.75
    homebase £49.95
    think we should have a price check on here,people put in something they bought for a good price rather than paying over the odds,saving the rest of us from being ripped off, what do you ll think,
    Last edited by riggerboy; 06-Mar-08 at 15:24.

I would only buy something out of Homebase if I was absolutely desperate for it! So much of their things are WAY dearer than you can buy locally!

i got a tube of that from W & D ross next to riverside replicas for cheaper lol

hi have said before on org that ,rob prices at mill ,are a lot cheaper, for everythink compared with homebase?

Rob has always been cheaper than Homebase - that's why his business has survived.

We always buy our wood etc from Rob. It makes more sense - cheaper, and the knowledge that you are shopping locally.

does any1 know saw mills number,looking for thresholds plates for my lobby,see if there cheaper than homebase

D Sutherland & Sons woodyard Wick 01955 602101
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

I have a mate who used to visit every time he came down to Inverness for the 10% off day or whatever at HB.

He used to fill his car up, and would go on about all the money he saved. I just used to grin, thinking about how many time I had told he was better off going to BBS or Gillock, but he preferred to have a jaunt down the road and pay twice for the honour.

Homebase is a total rip-off, bought a plug there the other day and paid £1.25 for the privelidge, if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't find one anywhere that day I wouldn't have bought it. All the stuff they sell for decorating homes is over priced tat.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by saxovtr View Post
    i got a tube of that from W & D ross next to riverside replicas for cheaper lol
    glad to hear that but i dont think it would have made sense to travel to thurso for it,

Default Thresh hold plate

Quote Originally Posted by wick-girl View Post
    does any1 know saw mills number,looking for thresholds plates for my lobby,see if there cheaper than homebase
    I have got a stainless steel threshold plate if you need one wick girl.

I think people but items in Homebase as they assume it is going to be cheaper than your local company, but as we and many others are finding out they are not!

Default Pink Grip

[quote=riggerboy;353042]went to the mill today toget stuff called pink grip, same as no nails but a bit better, anyway the mill was £2 plus VAT a tube (large), for some reason or other went to HOMEBASE there it was on the shelf (smaller tube) £9.99, how can they get away with that, surely people arent that silly to pay that kind of money, went on to look at the silicon OMG £ 7.99, usual price about £2.30, ifit was just 1 tube might not have been so bad but i needed 5,
    wood mill £11.75
    homebase £49.95
    think we should have a price check on here,people put in something they bought for a good price rather than paying over the odds,saving the rest of us from being ripped off, what do you ll think,[/quote
    Hi riggerboy, I used to work for a DIY supplies wholesaler and pink grip is one of many products we sold. £2-00 plus vat a tube is a very reasonble retail price ,however the sheds just charge what they want and it breaks my heart to need somthing they have got. I have a box of pink grip in the shed if you need any more.]

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I have got a stainless steel threshold plate if you need one wick girl.
    thanks for the offer but its wooden ones im looking for and i need 3 for my lobby

RIGMAN Guest

Default need,s must

the only benifit from homebase is the out of hour,s time,s. if im stuck i use homebase other than that it,s the sawmill.but i really have to need the item
    there and then.

What a change this thread is to the days before Homebase etc. opened up in Wick. After all the wailing about how local merchants were ripping us off left, right and centre, we find that (some of them, at least) weren't so bad after all!!!
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

their wallpaper is very expensive aswell. i seen a wallpaper i like in homebase for our bedroom and they wasnted 17.99 a roll.checked the wallpaper shop down the street and it was 9.99 a roll.needless to say i did not buy it from homebase!!
    "One more round Micky"

Default Good service

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    What a change this thread is to the days before Homebase etc. opened up in Wick. After all the wailing about how local merchants were ripping us off left, right and centre, we find that (some of them, at least) weren't so bad after all!!!
    You will never acheive a good level of service in the sheds as you get from your local independant. and the ones I have been to in Wick make it a pleasure and not a chore doing business with them.

Yes, Rockchick it is so refreshing to hear positive talk of local business'.

I don't actually think that many local firms do overcharge. You win some and lose some no matter where you shop.

Just homebase seem to be extortionately priced in comparison.

Not long after Homebase opened, I posted here that they were damned expensive. I got barked down and accused of owning a local business, being negative about the wonderful new shops etc etc.

They are a total last resort, emergency only option for me. Anyone who thinks that savings on Spend and Save cards and 10% days are not already factored into the prices must have heads that button up the back!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast