Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Petition for a new Wick High School

All done by all the family, and have sent the url to all on my e-mail list.
    It's an accident of life to be born a gentleman
    It’s an achievement of life to die a gentleman.

Right, I've signed it now as well.

C'mon everyone - get signing! It only takes a second!

where would the new high scool in wick go then

Quote Originally Posted by duncan1969 View Post
    where would the new high scool in wick go then
    That's a good question Duncan but I can't answer it for you. At the moment the priority is getting between 25 and 30 million to build a new one.

Sounds like an awful lot of money, but if you estimate the population of Caithness to be 40000 then half that into thurso and wick high catchment areas (yes, I know it's not that simple)
    Then 25,000,000 works out at £1250 a head.
    I'm not suggesting we all raid our piggy banks, far from it. I mean I'm probably worth about £200 as we speak (and that's pushing it)
    But it does stop that figure sounding quite so scary and starts it sounding like something we can work towards.....
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Highland lad View Post
    I think it is a disgrace that the schools are in the state they are in. I certainly would not send a child of mine into such a disgrace of a school. All three High Schools need major works or tearing down. Thurso was a dump when I went there and it is obviously not any better today.
    Farr High School has to share the school with the Primary School and is not big enough for both.

I hope you manage to get something done about wick before it is affecting childrens health or someone gets hurt.

Welcome Highland Lad to caithness.org. Thanks for using your first post to show your support for the campaign for a new Wick High School. I fully agree with your comments about all three schools.

As far as Wick High is concerned its ridiculous that in the year 2008 children are expected to put up with a school that's falling down around them. Mind you considering a large part of where they are taught was built 96 years ago what else can we expect.

The health and safety of the pupils is the main concern. Only three days after our meeting with councillors etc the pool was closed for the foreseeable future on health and safety grounds. Apparently the reason was it had become totally unmanageable due to filters not working, leaks and broken tiles in the pool which resulted in pupils cutting their feet. Had these things happened since the Monday meeting. No. It had been like that for years. Ill leave you to work out your own conclusion as to Why Now.

The pool is only one of a long list of examples of pure neglect by Highland Council.
    Last edited by Venture; 12-Mar-08 at 23:54.

Default petition

I have signed the petition today. Every signature helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland lad View Post
    I have signed the petition today. Every signature helps.
    Thanks for that Highland Lad.

Since Wick High School Parent Council started the campaign for a new school on the 3rd of March many people have pledged their support verbally. The Groat, P & J and caithness.org have given us great coverage. This thread alone has had over 2400 views. Our online petition is creeping towards the 200 mark since it started on Wednesday.

The petition is an important part of the campaign and we need more signatures. With 870 pupils at the school, hundreds of families with younger children who are the future pupils of WHS and many more who are ex pupils there could be a lot more people signing than have done so already. If you are reading this and havent yet signed please can you do so.

As Highland Lad who posted previously has stated "every signature helps".

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newwickhighschool/

Default Petition

Glad to help, My wife has signed the petition aswell.

I've just signed the petition, this is the first time I have read this thread and watched the WHS presentation, it's shocking stuff. I left Wick High in the 80's and the school was a bit dismal then, I'm so shocked to see the state of it today, if anybody wants my help you've got it!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    I've just signed the petition, this is the first time I have read this thread and watched the WHS presentation, it's shocking stuff. I left Wick High in the 80's and the school was a bit dismal then, I'm so shocked to see the state of it today, if anybody wants my help you've got it!

Thanks Julia for signing the petition and offering your support. Ill be in touch with you soon.

Default Petition for a new Wick High School

The school wasn't in great nick when I was there 50 years ago, the corridors were crowded then, when we changed classes.
    Keep it country

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornwall View Post
    The school wasn't in great nick when I was there 50 years ago, the corridors were crowded then, when we changed classes.

Well Tom its still the same school building and the same corridors. Only difference is there's a lot more pupils using them to change classes 50 years on.

this has just been released so lets not hold our breaths.....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7305295.stm

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    this has just been released so lets not hold our breaths.....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7305295.stm

It didn't come as a surprise as we've heard it all before from every councillor and MSP we have spoken to. Where there's a will there's a way and the fight goes on regardless.

Im sure you've mentioned on the org Justine that you have 9 children. Have you signed the petition yet?
    Last edited by Venture; 20-Mar-08 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    It didn't come as a surprise as we've heard it all before from every councillor and MSP we have spoken to. Where there's a will there's a way and the fight goes on regardless.

Im sure you've mentioned on the org Justine that you have 9 children. Have you signed the petition yet?
    Of course i have....and the playgroup one......

Default Wick High "not in a great condition"

Bill Fernie's understatement in the P&J today
    http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/552855

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    Bill Fernie's understatement in the P&J today
    http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/552855
    Mr Fernie said arts investment would reap dividends in the long term by attracting people to the live in the Highlands and they would then contribute to the tax system. This money could then be invested in schools.

Acknowledging the challenges ahead, education chairman Bill Fernie said: “Some schools are in a huge state of dilapidation. There is no doubt about that.”
    He added: “I’ve got one in my own patch, Wick High School, which is not in a great condition. But the council’s got responsibilities for a wide range of services and it’s all too easy for people to say they’ll grab one section of a particular budget to spend on something else. That’s a very short-term view of things.”

For anyone moving to a new area one of the first things they check out is schools. Would you want to come and live in Wick and put your children to a school that the local councillor describes as "in a huge state of delapidation"?

Arts projects in Inverness before schools in Caithness what's new. Bill states that the council's responsibilities are for a wide range of services. Seems more and more so that these responsibilities and services don't stretch as far as Caithness.

te. They are holding a meeting on the 22 April for parents to go around the school...Full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7334347.stm

let's hope this meeting is standing room only!! It should be in the interest of all parents sending their children to school now and in the future to be there.If you care for your child's future please attend or send someone to represent you. Let us show Peter Peacock that we mean business!!
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast