Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Petition for a new Wick High School

i know what you mean porshie...it's about the people in it...not the place itself...ALthough the setting can affect people detrimentally...
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Default Wick High....A Depressing Dump

So says the Caithness Courier....i say..whats new?...haha

It was a depressing dump when i was there over 20 years ago.....awww...such fond memories of freezing cold classrooms and prehistoric teachers who were terminally frustrated with the fact that they were no longer allowed to beat you senseless with a cane or belt...those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    freezing cold classrooms and prehistoric teachers who were terminally frustrated with the fact that they were no longer allowed to beat you senseless with a cane or belt...those were the days

Haha! Sounds highly reminiscent of thurso high!

Sounds like my Ayrshire school too.Schools are depressing dumps.Except for the art classes.Thats where the magic is.One teacher who brought an interest to me that I had never had much to do with outside colouring in books.The only teachers in ma school who asked you to call them by their first names and not as Mr or Miss/Mrs...?
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

It's a case of balance I suppose.
    I want to know my kids are safe at school obviously but neither of my kids have made any complaints or comments about the schools appearance (and believe me, they'd tell everyone if they had a problem with it).
    I think it's unrealistic to think the current Wick High building is ever going to be a perfect modern building. IMO we need to have a clear idea of what improvements are needed to bring the building up to an acceptable standard.
    I've been in the school many a time and actually thought it to be a very nice place. Yes, it can be cold but TBH any school of this type of building is going to have heating problems.
    If the attitude of the teachers and receptionists are of a warm manner when someone enters then it can make even a cold building seem inviting.

I agree improvements are necessary, but we do have to be realistic about what can be achieved and also what is necessary rather than desired.
    Educational facilities and resources will hands down for me every time.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    It's a case of balance I suppose.
    I want to know my kids are safe at school obviously but neither of my kids have made any complaints or comments about the schools appearance (and believe me, they'd tell everyone if they had a problem with it).
    I think it's unrealistic to think the current Wick High building is ever going to be a perfect modern building. IMO we need to have a clear idea of what improvements are needed to bring the building up to an acceptable standard.
    I've been in the school many a time and actually thought it to be a very nice place. Yes, it can be cold but TBH any school of this type of building is going to have heating problems.
    If the attitude of the teachers and receptionists are of a warm manner when someone enters then it can make even a cold building seem inviting.

I agree improvements are necessary, but we do have to be realistic about what can be achieved and also what is necessary rather than desired.
    Educational facilities and resources will hands down for me every time.
    All upgrades, new buildings etc seem to be happening in and around the Inverness area.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    All upgrades, new buildings etc seem to be happening in and around the Inverness area.

Prob just because the high pop. It's not fair...we all need equality and services supplied....regardless of geographical location!

The place was a tip when I attended over 20 years ago.

The front part of the building was like a Victorian assylum, big holes in the walls, with lath & plaster showing through, radiators that last saw service in WW2, and stairwells and doorways totally unsuitable for the amount of traffic it saw every 40 minutes.

Bullying, drug and alcohol use was rife, and the pupils were just as bad!

The swimming pool was the only feather in the school's cap, and if even this has been allowed to fall into disrepair, then there is not a lot going for it.

I cannot pass judgement on the current state of the school, as I have not set foot in the place since the day I left, but God help the kids of Wick, if the rot has continued.

Default re-Wick High School

fully support the idea of fundraising and as parents think we should also take some responsibility for this -after all the school should be at the heart of our community and it would help to portray positive messages about education and committment.

just one point -we have had 2 children through Wick High and have got one currently going through and we have absolutely no complaints about the teaching they have either had or are currently receiving.

any time we have wished to discuss anything with Mr Traill we have found him to be supportive, encouraging and enthusiastic -none of which can be easy under negative and potentially difficult circumstances as he faces.

i think it's a wonderful idea for our community to stand behind Wick high -our children deserve an education which will equip them for the challenges ahead.
    mo

"fully support the idea of fundraising and as parents think we should also take some responsibility for this"

Hmmmm are you not doing enough fund raising with your tax revenues????? The school building had problems when I was there in the early 70s and it appears to be horrendous now but a lot of that must be put down to a lack of spend on maintenance over the last twenty years ..the present situation just didnt happen all at once A lot of money has been wasted by the Highland Council over the years who seemed to deem education below twinning events ,campaigning to make Inverness a city firework events etc etc and more locally a new council building for Wick .
    Beeg Hugheeeeeee

The only comment I can give on this is ......

3.5 million pound to keep 130 council staff happy in a nice modern clean working place in their new office in a lovely listed building near Golspie.

That would have gone a long way if had been shuffled around and spent between Wick and Thurso High school to improve th environment for almost 2000 pupils......... but hey they are only kids and no-one wants to give them anything new or invest in their future not while they are living this far north Disgraceful. IMHO

Heard from my son today (who is a WHS pupil) that his swimming lesson had to be cancelled. The school swimming pool is to be closed for 3 weeks to carry out repairs! By the description in todays paper I am surprised they have enough money to be able to repair all of its problems.
    I think the teachers deserve great praise for trying to teach in such a place. It must be sooo depressing for pupils and teachers alike.
    Where is the Health and Safety??
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    Heard from my son today (who is a WHS pupil) that his swimming lesson had to be cancelled. The school swimming pool is to be closed for 3 weeks to carry out repairs! By the description in todays paper I am surprised they have enough money to be able to repair all of its problems.
    I think the teachers deserve great praise for trying to teach in such a place. It must be sooo depressing for pupils and teachers alike.
    Where is the Health and Safety??
    My understanding is that the pool is closed full stop. It will not be opened again (if ever) until Highland Council make the neccessary repairs to bring it up to acceptable standards.

So if you can't afford to take your children swimming in the local pool, they are not going to be able to learn to swim in the High School of a seaside town.

However you will be able to read the names of your local town and village signs in Gaelic as apparently there is money in the pot for that.

Default Whs

When (if) they do a big spend on Wick or Thurso High School, remember that the cash allocated to the primary schools in both towns AND rural areas will be reduced (wiped out). Therefore, the structure of these buildings will also go into a ruenous state over the years. Catch 22 methinks.
    Good luck to the Parents committee in WHS but I wont hold my breath.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat View Post
    My understanding is that the pool is closed full stop. It will not be opened again (if ever) until Highland Council make the neccessary repairs to bring it up to acceptable standards.

So if you can't afford to take your children swimming in the local pool, they are not going to be able to learn to swim in the High School of a seaside town.

However you will be able to read the names of your local town and village signs in Gaelic as apparently there is money in the pot for that.
    Not me I wont be able to read the signs as I dont understand one word of the Gaelic

I can however swim and so can my kids who go to the High School .......

Now who has a spare room as once Weeboyagee sees this statement I think I may be looking for a new roof over my head

Quote Originally Posted by Royster1911 View Post
    When (if) they do a big spend on Wick or Thurso High School, remember that the cash allocated to the primary schools in both towns AND rural areas will be reduced (wiped out). Therefore, the structure of these buildings will also go into a ruenous state over the years. Catch 22 methinks.
    Good luck to the Parents committee in WHS but I wont hold my breath.
    Ahh well I may as well put up the closed sign for Thrumster Primary myself if thats the case as we are so close to Wick

Well keep us all up-to-date on the progress of complaint/petition.

Default Whs

As for the missing panels in the ceiling, a few complaints by the janitor by filling in a MRO ( maintenance request order) to the clerk of works should have had that problem sorted out. The uncovered floors ( looked like it was tiled before) is down to the school as it comes under a different code and the school has to pay for repair/replacement.

I found the stories here before about faulty electrics in some classrooms concerning enough and pupils saying they were freezing in classes.
    Maybe parents should all get together and say enough is enough our kids wont return until the school is at least safe!!
    If enough people do it they have to listen.
    You wouldn't allow it at home so why send your children into these dangerous situations?
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Default Whs

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    I found the stories here before about faulty electrics in some classrooms concerning enough and pupils saying they were freezing in classes.
    Maybe parents should all get together and say enough is enough our kids wont return until the school is at least safe!!
    If enough people do it they have to listen.
    You wouldn't allow it at home so why send your children into these dangerous situations?
    If the classrooms are not up to temprature by 10.00am (19%c I think but do not quote), then the room should not be used. Portable heaters ( available from the clerk of works), can be used to get to this status. it is up to the Janitor to measure and report readings to the HT. That is, if he is given the time and equipment to do this task. This is most unlikley!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast