Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition for a new Wick High School

Default Petition for a new Wick High School

Wick High School is not fit for 21st century education and its pupils are being treated as second class citizens. As a parent how do you feel about this statement and were you aware of just how bad a state the school is in as revealed in the press today.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Wick High School is not fit for 21st century education and its pupils are being treated as second class citizens. As a parent how do you feel about this statement and were you aware of just how bad a state the school is in as revealed in the press today.
    Wick and Thurso High School should be replaced!

I don't know what Wick High is like....but Thurso High needs an overhaul....physically and in terms of some of the teaching staff and their standards....this is coming from someone who has first hand experience!
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    I don't know what Wick High is like....but Thurso High needs an overhaul....physically and in terms of some of the teaching staff and their standards....this is coming from someone who has first hand experience!
    Exactly the same as Wick High then!

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    Have a look at today's Caithness Courier Rob and see for yourself. As to Thurso High School's teaching staff and their standards it might be better if you spoke to the rector if you're not happy.

Yeah, I didn't think one student's opinion would be enough to make a difference (sorry for the cliché!)

Sorry Rob can you explain your last post.

Sure - you suggested voicing concerns to the rector....I thought she'd turn a blind eye to me since I'm just A student...perhaps we should start up a petition for Wick High...you would have a LOT of folks behind you!

You have every right as a pupil to speak up if you're not happy. How is the rector going to know if there is a problem if you don't tell her? Getting back to the main subject of this thread which is the terrible state of Wick High School, thanks for your support. Your idea of the petition sounds good.

thought it was a dump when i was there 25 years ago but my god this takes the biscuit

Right.......Venture....how about writing to the school and showing concern and asking for a petition to be handed out to all parents/pupils?

Thanks Rob the Parent Council will be putting a petition together.

Although I aimed my first post on this thread at parents of pupils at Wick High School NOW can I just remind everyone that if you have children of any age whether you are in Wick, Lybster, Dunbeath, John O'Groats or any part of the catchment area for Wick High School, this concerns you too. your children will be attending in the future. There is only one High School to choose from.

The Parent Council need the support of the whole community and with this in mind we have asked Bill Fernie to make the power point presentation given at the meeting available on Caithness.org. The Courier only covered a small part of the problem. The bigger picture has to be seen to be believed.

rob16d if you're a student, why aren't you at school??? lol

I would imagine that Wick and Thurso rectors are both fully aware of the problems with the buildings but without funding what can they do?
    Instead of moaning and suggesting new buildings, why not start some kind of fundraising events to modify what can be modified???

I understand what people are saying about the state of the schools, I just don't know what you think complaining to the rectors is going to do!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Penelope, we DO have computers at school in the library - we aren't THAT bad!

Venture, I'm glad you've organised this, even though - like I said - I don't go to Wick High, I am in full support!

i saw the pics of wick high in the paper today and if that is just a small part of the school then the education board needs to get its finger out and get it sorted.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Ive been in wick, have a daughter in 2nd yr....To be honest it is slightly outdated..But all in all i dont see it all the time so it may have been in worse conditions..But venture you are right, thats what a parent council is for...Good luck...

O Eck! I hadn't read that till now.
    IMO Wick High is a fantastic school and both my kids enjoy their time there BUT it does seem to need rather extensive immediate repair doesn't it!

I still don't know how that will happen though, there will always be one excuse after another as to why it cannot be funded, my previous suggestions of fund raising could have been a tad .......... unrealistic!

It would be such a shame for the school to be relocated though. Wick High building has such historical relevance to the area, it would be criminal for it to turn in to another rack and ruin that we see popping up all too often.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    I would imagine that Wick and Thurso rectors are both fully aware of the problems with the buildings but without funding what can they do?
    Instead of moaning and suggesting new buildings, why not start some kind of fundraising events to modify what can be modified???

I understand what people are saying about the state of the schools, I just don't know what you think complaining to the rectors is going to do!
    Glad youve looked at the article now Porshiepoo. I said for Rob to speak to his rector because he was complaining about the teachers at Thurso High School. The thread is about the state of the fabric of Wick High School which is nothing to do with the rectors. HRC is the landlord and responsible for the building. Fundraising can only be put towards additional items for within the school. Anyway we're talking millions here not thousands. Im glad you think Wick High is a fantastic school all the more reason for joining our campaign.
    Last edited by Venture; 05-Mar-08 at 16:03.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast