Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Petition for a new Wick High School

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Petition for a new Wick High School

Wick High School is not fit for 21st century education and its pupils are being treated as second class citizens. As a parent how do you feel about this statement and were you aware of just how bad a state the school is in as revealed in the press today.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Wick High School is not fit for 21st century education and its pupils are being treated as second class citizens. As a parent how do you feel about this statement and were you aware of just how bad a state the school is in as revealed in the press today.
    Wick and Thurso High School should be replaced!

I don't know what Wick High is like....but Thurso High needs an overhaul....physically and in terms of some of the teaching staff and their standards....this is coming from someone who has first hand experience!
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    I don't know what Wick High is like....but Thurso High needs an overhaul....physically and in terms of some of the teaching staff and their standards....this is coming from someone who has first hand experience!
    Exactly the same as Wick High then!

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    Have a look at today's Caithness Courier Rob and see for yourself. As to Thurso High School's teaching staff and their standards it might be better if you spoke to the rector if you're not happy.

Yeah, I didn't think one student's opinion would be enough to make a difference (sorry for the cliché!)

Sorry Rob can you explain your last post.

Sure - you suggested voicing concerns to the rector....I thought she'd turn a blind eye to me since I'm just A student...perhaps we should start up a petition for Wick High...you would have a LOT of folks behind you!

Default Wick High....A Depressing Dump

So says the Caithness Courier....i say..whats new?...haha

It was a depressing dump when i was there over 20 years ago.....awww...such fond memories of freezing cold classrooms and prehistoric teachers who were terminally frustrated with the fact that they were no longer allowed to beat you senseless with a cane or belt...those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    freezing cold classrooms and prehistoric teachers who were terminally frustrated with the fact that they were no longer allowed to beat you senseless with a cane or belt...those were the days

Haha! Sounds highly reminiscent of thurso high!

Sounds like my Ayrshire school too.Schools are depressing dumps.Except for the art classes.Thats where the magic is.One teacher who brought an interest to me that I had never had much to do with outside colouring in books.The only teachers in ma school who asked you to call them by their first names and not as Mr or Miss/Mrs...?
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Default Wick High School

Wick High School

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/bu...sor0306-01.htm

5. Peter Peacock (Highlands and Islands) (Lab): To ask the Scottish Executive whether it considers that Wick high school is in need of substantial refurbishment or replacement and, if so, what measures it plans to take to secure improvements to Wick high school. (S3O-2545)

The Minister for Schools and Skills (Maureen Watt): The Highland Council has statutory responsibility for the provision and maintenance of school buildings in its area. Questions regarding investment priorities for individual schools within the estate are matters for the council.

Peter Peacock: Over the past three years, Highland Council has undertaken the largest

Col 6707

secondary school building programme for several generations. Unfortunately, Wick high school has not reached the top of that programme. This week, the parents council of Wick high school published an extensive catalogue of the deficiencies in the school building. Will the minister agree to visit Wick high school to hear the parents' concerns at first hand? When can Highland Council expect to get extra cash from the Scottish futures trust to rebuild Wick high school?

Maureen Watt: I am aware of Highland Council's capital programme for secondary school refurbishments. Wick high school was on the council's original list of schools requiring refurbishment but was not included in the final list of 11. I understand that the highest priority is Thurso high school, followed by the unit for students with special needs at Nairn academy, and that joint third were Plockton high school and Nairn academy, with Wick high school next on the programme.

The member will be aware of the increased capital that has been given to Highland Council—£132.234 million from 2008 to 2011, including its share of the extra £115 million for 2008-09. Highland Council, like other councils, has been given a massive increase in its capital. It is up to Highland Council to decide how that is allocated.

Jamie Stone (Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross) (LD): At a packed meeting at Wick high school—I have here a copy of the article on it in the press—the chairman of Highland Council's education culture and sport committee, Bill Fernie, told us that the council does not have the resources for a new build. Wick high school should be on Scotland's conscience.

Further to my written request that the First Minister come to see the school for himself, will the minister instruct senior Scottish Government officials to visit the school and come back with proposals about how a state-of-the-art school suitable for the 21st century can be fast tracked?

Maureen Watt: Officials are constantly in touch with all local authorities regarding their school building programmes. The member well knows that, as is the case with other councils, it is for the Highland Council to determine its priorities. It is not for the Scottish Government to intervene to decide on the council's priorities.

Mary Scanlon (Highlands and Islands) (Con): Wick high school was given the lowest rating possible for the current state of its buildings. At what point and against which standards can a school be deemed to be unfit and unsafe for the purpose of educating children? [Interruption.]

The Presiding Officer: Too many conversations are taking place round the chamber.

Col 6708

Maureen Watt: The member will be aware that the state of school buildings is a matter for councils to address, according to certain criteria. If the member wishes more detail on when a school is deemed to be unfit for purpose, I will write to her about that.

Rob Gibson (Highlands and Islands) (SNP): The minister will be aware that the fabric of Wick high school has been deteriorating since Peter Peacock was the leader of Highland Council. During the eight years of the Liberal-Labour Administration, not enough money was given to the council to deal with the problem.

The Presiding Officer: Come to the question, please.

Rob Gibson: Does the minister agree that novel methods might require to be used? Does she support the idea of the council investigating a bond issue to deal with some of the immediate problems?

Maureen Watt: Various options are open to councils for accessing funding to rebuild their estate. As members know, the Government plans to introduce a Scottish futures trust, on which consultation ended last year.
    Last edited by Mr P Cannop; 08-Mar-08 at 10:11.

Thanks for the information Paul. There is already a thread about Wick High School as a Sticky at the top of the page. Maybe you could ask the Mods to move it up there rather than having two going at the same time.
    Last edited by Venture; 08-Mar-08 at 13:16.

Default Petition for new Wick High School

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newwickhighschool/

The Parent Council would be very grateful if you would show your support for the campaign by signing the petition.

Thanks
    Last edited by Venture; 11-Mar-08 at 16:33.

Fantastic idea, I have signed.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Tis done. I'll chase up everyone I know to sign it too
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Default State of Schools are a disgrace

I think it is a disgrace that the schools are in the state they are in. I certainly would not send a child of mine into such a disgrace of a school. All three High Schools need major works or tearing down. Thurso was a dump when I went there and it is obviously not any better today.
    Farr High School has to share the school with the Primary School and is not big enough for both.

I hope you manage to get something done about wick before it is affecting childrens health or someone gets hurt.

All done by all the family, and have sent the url to all on my e-mail list.
    It's an accident of life to be born a gentleman
    It’s an achievement of life to die a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland lad View Post
    I think it is a disgrace that the schools are in the state they are in. I certainly would not send a child of mine into such a disgrace of a school. All three High Schools need major works or tearing down. Thurso was a dump when I went there and it is obviously not any better today.
    Farr High School has to share the school with the Primary School and is not big enough for both.

I hope you manage to get something done about wick before it is affecting childrens health or someone gets hurt.

Welcome Highland Lad to caithness.org. Thanks for using your first post to show your support for the campaign for a new Wick High School. I fully agree with your comments about all three schools.

As far as Wick High is concerned its ridiculous that in the year 2008 children are expected to put up with a school that's falling down around them. Mind you considering a large part of where they are taught was built 96 years ago what else can we expect.

The health and safety of the pupils is the main concern. Only three days after our meeting with councillors etc the pool was closed for the foreseeable future on health and safety grounds. Apparently the reason was it had become totally unmanageable due to filters not working, leaks and broken tiles in the pool which resulted in pupils cutting their feet. Had these things happened since the Monday meeting. No. It had been like that for years. Ill leave you to work out your own conclusion as to Why Now.

The pool is only one of a long list of examples of pure neglect by Highland Council.
    Last edited by Venture; 12-Mar-08 at 23:54.