Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who still reads the NME?

Last edited by Debbie1984; 06-Mar-08 at 10:54.

I only read the nme occasionaly coz sounds dizna exist any more haha(it was a far superior weekly imo!!
    The only magazine i get regularly is claasic rock its braw oh & guitar world.

The NME editorial know their audience very, very well. They adhere to the style that has seen them become an institution, and have been sensible enough to stick to the formula that works. If you get upset by what is written within its pages, either take it with a pinch of salt or don't read it. Talking about it - be it good or bad - helps them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    The NME editorial know their audience very, very well. They adhere to the style that has seen them become an institution, and have been sensible enough to stick to the formula that works. If you get upset by what is written within its pages, either take it with a pinch of salt or don't read it. Talking about it - be it good or bad - helps them, too.
    I dunno, their circulation is around 75,000 ( see below ) they may have a formula but it is one that has lead to a shrinking readership. As for institution, I would describe them as having an influence totally disproportionate to their actual sales figures. of course it could well be that the NME people network with similar type people involved in radio / tv content provision thus working in tandem pushing an obvious agenda and sewing up radio / tv content hence exposure..I could be wrong here though..just a hunch. Incidentally well done in actually working on the NME, thats a fair shout for a guy from the North..genuinely meant..well done !!

Q 140,282Mojo 114,183The Fly 108,683Uncut 93,678Kerrang! 85,377New Musical Express 73,008Classic Rock 62,699Metal Hammer 48,977Playmusic - Pickup 23,080Rock Sound 23,031Hot Press 19,168Playmusic 7,434

Where'd you get those figures from, Rob? The NME are in a very healthy situation right now. They run tours and awards now as well as running the magazine. I know a couple of people stilll there and all is hunky dory right now, but that can always change rapidly. Saying that, I don't expect NME to disappear anytime soon.

As Debbie rightly suggested, I did in fact get taken on for work experience. How she knows this is, quite frankly, is highly intriguing (care to enlighten me Debbie? For someone who has been registered with the org. for a couple of years and only made a handful of posts you seem quite a sneaky sort in order to discover that information), though the NME did offer me trainee wages later on, but it still wasn't enough to sustain living in London. So I left.

Where'd you get those figures from, Rob? The NME are in a very healthy situation right now. They run tours and awards now as well as running the magazine. I know a couple of people stilll there and all is hunky dory right now, but that can always change rapidly. Saying that, I don't expect NME to disappear anytime soon.

As Debbie rightly suggested, I did in fact get taken on for work experience. How she knows this is, quite frankly, is highly intriguing (care to enlighten me Debbie? For someone who has been registered with the org. for a couple of years and only made a handful of posts you seem quite a sneaky sort in order to discover that information), though the NME did offer me trainee wages later on, but it still wasn't enough to sustain living in London. So I left.
    They are audited figures I obtained from a media company. The NME leverage value from the brand, as you rightly say club NME etc, but the core readership has shrank and doesnt hold up with other titles. My point is that relative to its circulation, the NME has a disproportionate influence on other related media / content..in my view. the NME at its height 77 78 79 80 81 had a circulation of c250,000 and that was with 4 other weeklies, ok on line content sites / changing youth interests will impact upon circulation but c 75 and falling.....I dunno !

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post
    I'm in a perfectly good position to slag it off, I've read it many times.

Any one who thinks that Glasvegas' "Daddy's Gone" is worthy of the #2 spot of Track of the Year 2007 (see: http://www.nme.com/reviews/tracks/oftheyear) is an idiot. It's not a bad song by any means, but it's certainly does not merit the second best song of 2007.

Los Campesinos! "You! Me! Dancing!" at #49? C'mon!
    Do you just read in the shop and then leave it on the shelf then? Good on you - stick it to the man!

Why are they idiots? Its all opinion mate, liking different music than you doesn't make them idiots......

Besides, no one takes those lists seriously no matter what publication they're in. And furthermore, that list contains quite a few surprises, as did the album list (Future Of The Left at number 13...)

London's really expensive ain't it? Can't foresee the NME disappearing anytime soon, its such a huge cultural brand. The entire Topshop / major label indie thing would need to really hit the skids to cut the ground from under it.....

Cut to the chase, 'Debbie'; what's your point?
    spells

S T A L K E R

Default anyway the NME

Hopefully all reading this knows what the letters mean. NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS

Its the best mag for new music for indie/alt/types so what is everyone on about?

please tell me another magazine that makes their false discovery of 'new bands' co convince in?

;o)

The one and only Is This Music?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12