Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Kit House

Default Kit House

Currently looking at purchasing a kit house from Norscot. Would you:

1. Take the supply of the kit only and hire your own joiner to erect the kit?
    2. Take the supply and erect service from Norscot?
    3. Would you employ one contractor to do a complete build for you or hire separate contractors to do the work for you.

Has anyone recently built their own house that would be willing to point us in the right direction. Any suggestions on local firms that would undertake this work. Would project manage the work to a certain degree, but we are both working full time this would be difficult.

Thanks for reading this most and any recommendations made.

Default Kit House

John Munro Joinery and Building Services will undertake all aspects of the build from clearing the site , doing founds making and erecting the kit and the block work ,also all interior joinery work , you can contact John on 07736381335

We moved into a new build in April 07 and had a complete build done by 1 firm. Our builder did everything, from the planning application to dealing with water/electric. I would definitely recommend getting one firm to do the whole thing rather than rely on different contractors as you then have the brickie waiting for the joiner who is waiting for the sparky who is waiting for the plumber and they all blame each other for not being there etc

All I would say is take your time deciding where you want your radiators, plugs etc as that sounds like something trivial but once you are in if you haven't got them in the right place it will crack you up forever.

Best of luck whatever you decide. It is quite stressful but good fun at the same time.

I can highly recommend Green & Cameron, they built our house for us last year using a Norscot Kit, we told them the exact layout & sizes we want for our rooms and they done everything for us, planning etc.
    They are very helpful and if you want to do so much yourself they are happy to leave you to do it and they will do what you want them to do.
    Our house was built very quickly and we had not one problem from start to finish!
    Excellent service and they will keep you on track with everything required!
    Good luck with the build!
    Katy

Default Kit House

We built a kit house nearly 3 years ago. I totally agree with Skinnydog. I would recommend using a contractor to do the whole lot. I think each company in Caithness has their good points and bad points, its just your luck. My parents waited over 6 months for plans from Norscot who had originally told them it would be a month. Then they went to G&C who did the planning, but after 3 months waiting we contacted planning ourselves to find out they had been waiting on things from G&C for 3 months and had never received them. I used a someone else for my house and did the services and planning myself. It all ran smoothly, but I know other people who slate the company who did my house. I honestly think its your donald duck. Bertobear we didn't project manage, we left that to the company as we both worked, but we did go out to the site every day for a coffee and a catch up with the boys. It was really beneficial as if you see them every day you can sort out any problems as they arise, as long as you don't hassle them. It worked out great for us! We also managed to get the sparky to add a couple of light fittings and plugs to places we never thought of at the planning stage. If we hadn't been there every day, we wouldn't have a plug socket for our computer. Now that would have been something to crack up over!!
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - CONFUCIUS

i wouldnt buy a kit from a company the cheapest way to do it is to get a joiner to make the kit for you.

Smile

We bought our house from a family that had it built. They have raved about Green & Cameron, have now moved (obviously!) and said they would build again using G&C. I have to say, we had to contact G&C about some fallen roof tiles - and they came the next day to replace them! Overall, I am pleased with the house - great attention to detail where it matters and a good finish. The first couple of months I thought it would keel over in the winds (in Groats) or the windows would crack under the strain, but hey - still standing, so I think they knew what they were doing.....

Having dabbled in a couple of renovations, I would suggest you go with a main contractor to do the lot. That way, it's their responsibility to get the joiner to coordinate with the electrician/plumber, etc. There is nothing worse than being fobbed off with no activity whatsoever on site, with the next step in the process being slowed down by some joker. I agree with others - the details make all the difference. Take time to work out what's going where, the practicalities, etc. I agree with the others too about keeping involved - we stayed in a static caravan on site (and survived) - best thing we did, as I knew where and what everyone was up to, but went to work everyday and let them get on with it.

I don't recommend making decisions on cost alone. They say (who? can't think - possibly that man on Grand Designs... that you can have 2 of the following: CHEAP + QUICK + QUALITY. Good advice, I say. These contractors have been in the trade for a long time - they know their job, and how to be efficient. My advice is stick with the professionals/main contractor and you'll save in the long run.

Good luck!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BertoBear View Post
    Currently looking at purchasing a kit house from Norscot. Would you:

1. Take the supply of the kit only and hire your own joiner to erect the kit?
    2. Take the supply and erect service from Norscot?
    3. Would you employ one contractor to do a complete build for you or hire separate contractors to do the work for you.

Has anyone recently built their own house that would be willing to point us in the right direction. Any suggestions on local firms that would undertake this work. Would project manage the work to a certain degree, but we are both working full time this would be difficult.

Thanks for reading this most and any recommendations made.
    can recommend a good joiner if you need one for all the joiner work andrew bremner joiner have used him myself and always leaves a good tidy job behind him here is his contact number if you want it 0772332708

you would be cheaper to hire your own joiner and brickie and plumber and save a few thousand but thats up to you........