Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I wonder why...

Yet, there is still no enlightment why the animals are hung that way???

@ Nirofo,
    your photos are well shocking! To see such numbers being displayed is horriffic. I am nor pro or contra hunting, but this is well ott in my eyes.

What is the yellow creatures? Is it ferrets?
    Award winning photography http://www.martinacross.com/

[quote=Raven;351738]Yet, there is still no enlightment why the animals are hung that way???

They are hung up to show they were shot on that farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I suspect it is another farmerism excuse to go out shooting unnecessarily.
    Do you have a clue about farming, i expect not. Foxes can do major damage to farmers livelihood's i know of one farm that lost over 40 lambs and we have lost 15 lambs over a couple of nights. If i posted pics of lambs with only heads and tails missing maybe your view of foxes might change but then again you would probably say it's just natures way.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    If i posted pics of lambs with only heads and tails missing maybe your view of foxes might change but then again you would probably say it's just natures way.
    The only tail docking I've seen is by farmers with a large knife with no anaesthetic or any stitching afterwards. That puts a mockery on any care that farmers have for their flock.

The only headless lamb corpses I've seen is due to the mass factory farming that this nation supports.

I suspect that deaths of animals due to farming practices outweighs any to natural kills. Lets be right, the only reason why farmers kill foxes is for their own financial welfare and not for any care for their animals.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 05-Mar-08 at 00:40.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

The only tail docking I've seen is by farmers with a large knife with no anaesthetic or any stitching afterwards. That puts a mockery on any care that farmers have for their flock.
    The law says lambs must be docked under 7 days of age, if you see anybody docking tails of older lambs you should lift up your phone and call the rspca immediately as they can prosecute farmers for breaking the law.

I suspect that deaths of animals due to farming practices outweighs any to natural kills. Lets be right, the only reason why farmers kill foxes is for their own financial welfare and not for any care for their animals.
    Thanks very much just you tar all farmers with the same brush.

The only headless lamb corpses I've seen is due to the mass factory farming that this nation supports.

You would not believe the devestation foxes can inflict on a flock of ewes with lambs. And although I don't like hunting or to look at such pictures, my immediate thought at such a lot of dead foxes is that there must have been an absolute infestation of them in the area. So after they have killed all the sheep, and cause the farmer to go broke, are you going to help support them financially and be happy to pay even huger prices for meat??
    And you should see what crows can do to lambing ewes, like peck the ewes eyes out, and kill the lamb as it is being born.
    As for docking tails, I am not sure about in the UK, but out here it is a lot better to dock the tail of a lamb than to allow it to become fly blown and be eaten alive by maggots.
    At least these animals a quickly and humanely killed, by the looks of things. Not chased and terrified and eaten alive. Get some of those scenes on here if you want horrific pictures.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

It is to show where the foxes have been culled.
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    are you going to help support them financially and be happy to pay even huger prices for meat??
    I haven't eaten lamb for about 15 years now. However I would support them to diversify into other forms of income....

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    You would not believe the devestation foxes can inflict on a flock of ewes with lambs.
    Farmers tend to attribute a dead sheep with something they are familiar, eg foxes.

A lot of years ago, my grandfather attributed the many headless chickens in his hut to a fox. He went out and shot a fox indiscriminately and displayed it similar to nirofo's pics. He restocked and it happened again. He killed another fox. He restocked again and again it happened but he was able to get to the commotion before the culprit left the scene. It was next door's wippet and he promptly shot it. It seems to me that foxes do a get a bad reputation but it isn't all their own work.

If farmers want to get real about living sustainably with their environment and care for their animals, then they need to change the way they do things rather than go in with a gun or a bulldozer.

Lets face it, the farmers were their own worst enemies when it came to BSE, foot and mouth, lysteria, e-coli, and Edwina Currie's eggs. And they had the gall to blame it all on everyone else than theirselves.

Farmers tend to attribute a dead sheep with something they are familiar, eg foxes.

I don't doubt that what you say is correct, I wouldn't know about the instances you mention, but I believe you. That doesn't mean the foxes don't kill chickens and lambs. I know first hand that they do. I have seen them in the act and the results.
    My father shot 3 of our dogs in one morning when they got into the chook pen and killed all our chooks, so I know pets are predetors too, but so are foxes and crows.
    Don't know anything about the moles though. We have feral pigs out here too, and they are nearly as big a problem as foxes. Most of our pests are introduced though, where as your pests are native.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

I think moles damage grazing ground....they certainly damage crops etc

How long have you been a farmers Rhegs??? Pretty broad statment.

It is quite broad...............People have SEEN foxes killing livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    It is quite broad...............People have SEEN foxes killing livestock.
    It is broad enough but just because foxes kill sheep or whatever doesn't mean that the best way forward is to kill foxes. Has it ever occurred to the dumbest of farmers what the broader implications of their actions actually do? Have they never thought that foxes actually work in their favor?

I've seen a lot written about foxes and rabbits and I know enough to say that a fox will take an easier prey than a harder one. Perhaps allowing an acceptable level of livestock predation is better than taking out the fox completely? Rabbits harm lots of things and the fox is our top predator, it seems there is a lot of scope for a symbiotic existence with foxes. And I know I am not talking rubbish because I know of farmers that think the same way. Rabbit population explosions lead to farmers taking drastic measures like bringing in rabbits that are affected by mixy, that leaves the public put off by rabbit meat so compounding the problem and denying farming a source of income.

Given farmers and their misinformed logic around badger culls then I think there is a lot of scope for enlightening farmers. It was them that led to the destruction of Britain's higher end of biodiversity in the first place!

http://www.nfws.org.uk/pro/pests.htm#sheep Some interesting reading on this site.

It is broad enough but just because foxes kill sheep or whatever doesn't mean that the best way forward is to kill foxes. Has it ever occurred to the dumbest of farmers what the broader implications of their actions actually do? Have they never thought that foxes actually work in their favor?

I've seen a lot written about foxes and rabbits and I know enough to say that a fox will take an easier prey than a harder one. Perhaps allowing an acceptable level of livestock predation is better than taking out the fox completely? Rabbits harm lots of things and the fox is our top predator, it seems there is a lot of scope for a symbiotic existence with foxes. And I know I am not talking rubbish because I know of farmers that think the same way. Rabbit population explosions lead to farmers taking drastic measures like bringing in rabbits that are affected by mixy, that leaves the public put off by rabbit meat so compounding the problem and denying farming a source of income.

Given farmers and their misinformed logic around badger culls then I think there is a lot of scope for enlightening farmers. It was them that led to the destruction of Britain's higher end of biodiversity in the first place!
    g

i doubt any farmer/keeper would wish for the total eradication of foxes, just for them to be mana6ed to an acceptable level.

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    g

i doubt any farmer/keeper would wish for the total eradication of foxes, just for them to be mana6ed to an acceptable level.
    I bet they would have said that about wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    g

I don't know how many foxes there are in Caithness but if 24 are killed at any one time this must make a huge impact on their numbers. If all the animals in the photos were shot by the same person then it was just a killing spree.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    The foxes are hung on the fence to let farmer's know they were caught on there ground. I know some people will say it's awful to shot a fox but try imagining being a farmer and when you go out in the morning you have 6 dead lambs lying in the field and all that is missing is a head or a tail, that's what foxes do for fun and unless they are stopped they keep on doing it.
    is it not a well known fact that the sly old fox hunts mainly rabbits etc?
    Lambs are not normally the easiest of prey for the mothers will defend.. I don't know i am no expert.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast