Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I wonder why...

Default I wonder why...

they do this? I have passed this place on many times and on a number of occasions there were the foxes hanging out.
    Having passed a dead fox hanging over a fence on Saturday, I remebered this pic and thought I post it here.

Maybe there is somebody who can shed a little light on why they do hang the foxes like that...

Award winning photography http://www.martinacross.com/

i think it is an attempt to scare other foxes away or to prevent them from coming back to the area. i think it would be better to put one on each fence, that way the foxes might be put off from entering from any angle. its sad to see anything dead but if this is needed then it is just a fact of life.

intresting pic but not nice to see..maybe we can be enlightened as to why its done...
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

where was this pic taken raven?

OMG that is horrible!

This is a horrible scene. Sorry, I'm an animal lover, and I hate seeing this.

The foxes are hung on the fence to let farmer's know they were caught on there ground. I know some people will say it's awful to shot a fox but try imagining being a farmer and when you go out in the morning you have 6 dead lambs lying in the field and all that is missing is a head or a tail, that's what foxes do for fun and unless they are stopped they keep on doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    The foxes are hung on the fence to let farmer's know they were caught on there ground. I know some people will say it's awful to shot a fox but try imagining being a farmer and when you go out in the morning you have 6 dead lambs lying in the field and all that is missing is a head or a tail, that's what foxes do for fun and unless they are stopped they keep on doing it.
    I would have maybe thought that the gillie has to show some sort of proof that he did something....
    But initially I guessed that it might have had something to do with doing something with the fur afterwards....
    Its not a nice thing do see, but from a farmers point of view it has to be done...
    I am glad that I have to "shoot" animals only with my camera though!!

@ Buggyracer

The photo was taken at a farm in the west...
    Award winning photography http://www.martinacross.com/

I gather its the same reason for hanging rabbits, once the kills been made hang them while there still warm as there riddled with fleas etc as they like a warm environment, so when the foxes body temp goes cold they will fall off and land on the ground. Then the ghillie will come along later and take them away.

The content of the photo will not be nice to a lot of people but its well captured and has fantastic clarity
    Last edited by octane; 04-Mar-08 at 10:56.

Yes, it does make any normal person wonder why, doesn't it ???

It can only be for the hunter killer instinct born into some people, in others it's just pure spite and glorification!

Here's 2 photo's of gibbets showing the magnificent hunting prowess of the morons doing this dastardly deed.

The odd crow or fox I can semi understand, but to kill any wildlife in these sort of numbers is unnecessary and is counter productive in the protection and well being of other species.

Anyone who wants further information is welcome!

nirofo.

24 Foxes on Gibbet.

56 Hooded Crows on Keepers Gibbet.

nirofo.

Here's 2 more photo's of Gibbets, sorry to be so gory, but this subject really riles me. IT'S SO UNNECESSARY!!!!!!

nirofo

Keepers Gibbet.

Moles on Gibbet.

nirofo.

You are correct in that these pictures are horrendous and sickening.

As you say I can understand the 'odd' fox being killed if they are posing a threat to new born lambs but why on earth do they need to be killed in such large numbers?

I think the person who killed all these foxes, moles and crows just enjoys killing!

A very emotive subject I know but having seen a fox being chased by a pack of dogs I find it sickening.

These animals have a right to live in the countryside as that is their home and once again man shows its total dominance over all species.

Liz and folks....I'm really sorry to say this...and not in an arguementative or sick way...but people do enjoy shooting foxes, crows etc...but it is legal and it helps farmers and they aren't extinct...but displaying them is wrong...
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

I find this so sickening - I'm not having a go at the people who took the photos, but to kill so many animals and then display them in such a horrible way is beyond comprehension. It is unnecessary and sickening. This shouldn't be allowed.
    Sorry - I'd better stop typing now, before I get too angry!

LIke I said KCI, I don't have a problem at ALL witht he animals getting killed...just a little bit grossed out by the presentation....but they do make a good photo subject!
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    LIke I said KCI, I don't have a problem at ALL witht he animals getting killed...just a little bit grossed out by the presentation....but they do make a good photo subject!

We will just have to agree to disagree then, won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    A good photo subject?!!

Totally disagree and there is absolutely no need to kill such large numbers of 'pests'.

This is just a massacre.

Being honest I don't understand the moles but to see such large numbers of foxes in one area and hooded crows, well they could devastate a farmer and his livestock. I don't agree with it but I can understand why they are killed.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

For me its just personaly too much information.
    i know it goes on and in some cases necessary but this appears barbaric ,its like someone's trophy fence.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Obviously the tactic of scaring away other foxes isn't working if there is a line of many dead foxes on a line?

I suspect it is another farmerism excuse to go out shooting unnecessarily.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast