Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer On go slow

Default Hate AOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Do it - you know you want to , then you can join the "We Hate AOL" Club!
    As you are a computer expert who would you advise we switch to and is it very hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizpah View Post
    I did warn you as I thought that would happen the only thing I am sorry about now is that I took them up on their offer instsead of telling them where to go.

I have been in touch with them today and it was a could not care less attitude so there is no doubt in my mind now that I will be away from them before long.
    Hi Mizpar
    I have just spent another 45 mins on the phone to Parnay in New Delli and we came to the conclusion that my AOL software has become corrupted and he is sending me a new disc to delete and reinstall. I am on explorer at the moment and its fireing at about 7670kbps. Its great.I have decided not to accept a new contract and its up to them if they want me or not.

Default Go slow

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Hi Mizpar
    I have just spent another 45 mins on the phone to Parnay in New Delli and we came to the conclusion that my AOL software has become corrupted and he is sending me a new disc to delete and reinstall. I am on explorer at the moment and its fireing at about 7670kbps. Its great.I have decided not to accept a new contract and its up to them if they want me or not.
    Hi kevin I am glad you are getting on ok with explorer, I have three different computers all with AOL and they are all the same terrible at times so I guess all mine must be currupt as well I somehow think not but it is AOL themselves, but you have made my mind up for me now enough is enough.

As you are a computer expert who would you advise we switch to and is it very hard to do.
    I know this question was aimed for Bobinovich but the question is still essentially the same. It mainley depends on your location. Providers are better in some places than others.

I would personally reccommend BT, as it is a large company and they have clear guides for novice users. They have a resonably fast service (although it can change a lot (e.g I live in castletown and get around 6mbps but a friend in thurso with the same package gets about 0.7mbps)) and dont cost too much. Depending on the package you also get a lovely HomeHub.

There are others on here who swear by other packages. Smaller companies but better service.

Thats my reccommendation. Others will advise you on different providers.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

I'd agree that up here BT are a good bet as they own all the cabling, exchanges, etc. so they can't fob you off with 'we'll pass on your complaint to BT and get them to check things out'. Their introductory offer of a wireless Home Hub and £8.95 per month for the first 6 months is pretty good value.

They're also good for first time Broadband users as any technical problems with your line get sorted too.

However if you're on a budget, or are a low user then PlusNet (from £9.99)seem to be pretty good.

Default Computer on go slow

I'd agree that up here BT are a good bet as they own all the cabling, exchanges, etc. so they can't fob you off with 'we'll pass on your complaint to BT and get them to check things out'. Their introductory offer of a wireless Home Hub and £8.95 per month for the first 6 months is pretty good value.

They're also good for first time Broadband users as any technical problems with your line get sorted too.

However if you're on a budget, or are a low user then PlusNet (from £9.99)seem to be pretty good.
    Lots to consider.
    It will be interesting to see if AOL will except that I am not going to agree a new 18 month contract and take my £17-89 a month . I will proberbly move now anyway.I have half read the promotional stuff BT have been sending me ,but they do not get good press. Thanks very much for your advice though and will keep you posted.

Default Go slow

Thanks for your reply and you have set my mind at rest as it was BT I was thinking of going to as my thinking was the same that they own all the structure anyway so I will be making enquires now about it, thanks again.

Just thought I'd stick my oar in and advise people to avoid any Broadband provider desperate enough for new users to offer you a free laptop to sign up for them !!!

I use Nildram (who are part of Pipex), who I had as my first ISP when Thurso went live with Broadband access, then I worked with them for 18 months in Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire and I am still with them since moving to Edinburgh in 2005.

website is www.nildram.net
    Regards

Brian Mackay
    www.caithnessfootie.co.uk

Thumbs down AOL going very slow

I phoned AOL as my browser was being very slow and sometimes just showing a white screen. This has been happening for the last 4 or 5 days. The guy i spoke to said to delete cache, cookies etc. I eventually told him that i am not the only user as family and friends on AOL are experiencing the same. He said to use internet explorer just now as they are having a server problem. No time fix date yet. Waste of money at the moment no matter what package you are on. I am currently on broadband silver
    Last edited by molly; 04-Mar-08 at 20:37. Reason: added more info

Quote Originally Posted by molly View Post
    I phoned AOL as my browser was being very slow and sometimes just showing a white screen. This has been happening for the last 4 or 5 days. The guy i spoke to said to delete cache, cookies etc. I eventually told him that i am not the only user as family and friends on AOL are experiencing the same. He said to use internet explorer just now as they are having a server problem. No time fix date yet. Waste of money at the moment no matter what package you are on. I am currently on broadband silver
    Mine is the same molly it takes forever to load even the welcome screen. I asked BT about there deals and it looks a lot more for your money and they advised me before I can switch to them I have to get a MAC CODE of AOL.
    When i phoned AOL they offered me an £14-49 deal.So because I have complaind about the service I have come from £29-98 to £14-49 for the same product.And I have been paying top wack since 2004.BT is the front runner but have a few more to check out yet.

Default Go Slow

Mine is the same molly it takes forever to load even the welcome screen. I asked BT about there deals and it looks a lot more for your money and they advised me before I can switch to them I have to get a MAC CODE of AOL.
    When i phoned AOL they offered me an £14-49 deal.So because I have complaind about the service I have come from £29-98 to £14-49 for the same product.And I have been paying top wack since 2004.BT is the front runner but have a few more to check out yet.
    Hi there I was in touch with AOL today and they were any thing but nice especially when I asked for my Mac code which they said would take two or three days but has alrready arrived. The biggest nuisance is that once you give your Mac code to new provider that is you off line for a good few days till your new provider get you up and running again, I am trying to work out best when to do it but am sure it will be worth it in the end and am pretty sure I will go to BT.

Hi there I was in touch with AOL today and they were any thing but nice especially when I asked for my Mac code which they said would take two or three days but has alrready arrived. The biggest nuisance is that once you give your Mac code to new provider that is you off line for a good few days till your new provider get you up and running again, I am trying to work out best when to do it but am sure it will be worth it in the end and am pretty sure I will go to BT.
    They said mine would take 4 to 5 days and no sign of it yet.
    We had both better get our full qouta of ORGING done before we have a drying out period, perhaps we could set up a help group for ORGLESS ,ORGERS, LOL Good luck and see you on the other side

Default Goodbye AOL

I may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire ,but the deed is done.
    I have binned AOL and gone over to BT. For the same money that AOL have been shafting me for I have got a much better deal with BT including BT vision and free calls evening and weekends. the main issue has been download speeds at busy times that have been driving me nuts with AOL and the girl at BT tested my line while we where speaking and said it was 7562kbps at 6-30 this evening. Here,s hoping

Default Go slow - Go fast

I may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire ,but the deed is done.
    I have binned AOL and gone over to BT. For the same money that AOL have been shafting me for I have got a much better deal with BT including BT vision and free calls evening and weekends. the main issue has been download speeds at busy times that have been driving me nuts with AOL and the girl at BT tested my line while we where speaking and said it was 7562kbps at 6-30 this evening. Here,s hoping
    Hi there snap! I jumped ship this afternoon and I think by the look of it went for the same deal as you with BT Vision as well, they hope that the Broadband will be up and going by Monday so I am looking forward to that and then the BT Vision will follow.

I am surprised that I still can get on line as by what the guy at AOL said yesterday was That as soon as I gave new supplier the Mac Code I would be cut from AOL but that has not happened as yet and I just hope that it goes for the next few days too.

I am surprised that I still can get on line as by what the guy at AOL said yesterday was That as soon as I gave new supplier the Mac Code I would be cut from AOL but that has not happened as yet and I just hope that it goes for the next few days too.
    Don't worry, I think AOL won't have a clue who you gave your MAC to until after your new provider has told them. Which will be after they've connected you.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Default We hate Aol

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Don't worry, I think AOL won't have a clue who you gave your MAC to until after your new provider has told them. Which will be after they've connected you.
    The impresion I got was that it would be almost a seamless change over.
    I am so looking foward to be able to work on the internet without having to wait for ever for somthing to happen. After all it is what I have been paying for for years . If I had not logged on to caithness.org I could have struggled along for many years to come with what I got and being shafted on price without being any the wiser .
    Thank you all that have contributed to my liberation.

The impresion I got was that it would be almost a seamless change over.
    It will be.

You'll get an email from your new supplier, with the login details for your router/connection. In that email will be the expected connection date. When that date arrives, simply change the login settings over to the new ones, and you should be able to connect with your new ISP.

Even if it's too early in the day and the change over hasn't gone through yet, you'll be able to revert to your old settings to continue using AOL.

In fact, you'll probably be able to use AOL for a few days after you can connect to BT.

But why would you?

Default Go slow

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Thanks for your advice and help but the rep from AOL certainly did not know what he was speaking about as he most certainly told me that I would be cut off never I gave my Mac Code to new supplier and even offered to set up a dial up number which would let me access e-mails ect. till the changeover, I am just glad I declined this as I think it was another rip off by the look of it they are up to it all.

The problem with AOL is if you use their browser/email program, its awful!

We run AOL with a wireless router, I use firefox and get top notch speeds, no traces of the AOL software on the PC.

The other PC...... ARGGGG I hate their stupid spyware rubbish that could not even catch a cold!

But, I can't complain about the actual net service. Spot on top speeds, no download limit (thankgoodness) hasn't disconnected for over 2 years and never had a problem.

If you can avoid installing the software you are fine, but if not

Yep, they're most certainly 'at it', and they're not the only ones.

Most ISPs will try to retain unhappy customers with smoke and mirror promises of new, cheaper, faster connections, with a 12 or 18 month contract tie-in thrown in too. That's all they're interested in - the long term contract, and the hefty penalty clause for anyone wanting to migrate away before the contract expires.

Anyway, keep us informed of your migration to BT. Hope it all goes smoothly (and I'm sure it will ).

Oh, and Riffman brings up a salient point: Deleting all the AOL gunk from your PC afterwards can be a nightmare. I'll leave that one to Bobinovich, as I'm fairly sure he has dealt with that scenario before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12