Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer On go slow

Default Computer On go slow

My laptop seems to have gone on a go slow the last few days and I am getting fed up with it. I have been following various chats on the Org about this subject and follow some of it.I subscribe to AOL top of the range pakage and proberbly dont use half of the things on offer. If I am reading correctly I am doing about 54MBPS. I have tried a reboot. Any suggestions?

Some questions for you, so we can ascertain the root of your problem:

What do you mean by 'Computer on go slow'? Does your computer take ages to boot up, does it take ages to open or close programs or does it take ages to load pages in your browser?

Please answer with as much detail as possible.

And, your 54MBPS is the rate at which information travels between your wireless router and your laptop, not the download speed of your ISP.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Unhappy

metalattack one for me as well please.my comp takes ages to do every about 15 minutes to boot and every thing else i do takes ages and some times it does nothing.just like the quiz on here when a question is asked. i put the answer or some like it and by the time it gets onto the page the next question as been asked lol

Quote Originally Posted by dessie_darts
    just like the quiz on here when a question is asked. i put the answer or some like it and by the time it gets onto the page the next question as been asked lol
    Problem with the flash chat used here is that there can be a tortuous lag between submitting a 'sentence' to it appearing.
    I have given up using the chatroom because of this lag.

Re: your PC slowing up it might be time to 'spring clean' it - if you have all your data backed up then a reinstall of your OS might improve things...

Default Computer on go slow

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Some questions for you, so we can ascertain the root of your problem:

What do you mean by 'Computer on go slow'? Does your computer take ages to boot up, does it take ages to open or close programs or does it take ages to load pages in your browser?

Please answer with as much detail as possible.

And, your 54MBPS is the rate at which information travels between your wireless router and your laptop, not the download speed of your ISP.
    It takes ages to to load pages into browser and if I want to jump forums or have a look around the site it takes ages for anything to happen in between comands. So much so I get fed up and switch off.

Dessie, MadPict is right about the FlashChat. It will lag more when there are more people using it, I'm afraid. Quiz time would be a busy time, I expect.

As for spring-cleaning, you might want to try a simple defrag, that might solve a bit of the slowness. Go to 'My Computer', right click on your hard-drive icon and open 'Properties'. On the 'Tools' tab there you can choose to 'Defragment now...' then click on the 'Analyze' button. It will take a wee while to analyse your system to see if you need to defrag or not. Once completed and it tells you you should defrag this volume, click 'Defragment' to start it off. The process will take a fair while, though.

Again though, I have some questions for you:

What processor are you using?
    How much RAM does your computer have?
    What operating system are you using (I am presuming you are using Windows Xp)?

(You can find out this information by right-clicking 'My Computer' and selecting 'Properties' then the 'General' tab.)

What spyware blocking and virus checking software do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    It takes ages to to load pages into browser and if I want to jump forums or have a look around the site it takes ages for anything to happen in between comands. So much so I get fed up and switch off.
    So is it only slow on the internet? Can you open other programs (Word, Outlook etc.) easily and without much delay?

If you're using Internet Explorer 7 it's possible it, or an add-on it's using, may be corrupted. Try clicking the Tools menu then select Internet Options and then click the Advanced tab - now click the Reset button at the bottom of that dialog. That may sort the problem.

Oops, sorry just realised you're on AOL so probably using their own browser. Just ignore the above!
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 02-Mar-08 at 22:34.

Default Computer on go slow

Hi Metalattakk. I have Windows XP 2002 home edition.
    Intel Pentium Processor 1.70ghz.
    209 MHz, 512MB of ram.
    everything else seems to be working at normal speed,Word etc it is just when I am on line. I ahve not done a defrag for a while so I will crack on with that.
    Thanks for your advice.

If it's only your internet experience that is slow, I'd suggest it might just be down to your ISP. AOL aren't the most reliable of ISPs out there.

Can you run a speed test at www.speedtest.net and report the findings?

Another thing it could be is spyware. What anti-virus/anti-spyware software do you run?

Default Go Slow

My laptop seems to have gone on a go slow the last few days and I am getting fed up with it. I have been following various chats on the Org about this subject and follow some of it.I subscribe to AOL top of the range pakage and proberbly dont use half of the things on offer. If I am reading correctly I am doing about 54MBPS. I have tried a reboot. Any suggestions?
    Hi there know what you are going through as I am the same, I have two desk tops and a laptop and they are vall the same and I use AOL which I think is the problem. What you should try is to use Internet Explorer and try the web sites you want using it and I think you will find all will be back to normal as this is what I have found.

I have been in contact with AOL by phone and got the message that they were having tecnical problems and were trying to fix it, I also e-mailed them and got a reply back after two days to tell me to clear my Internet history and the on the task bar the sites that you have been using, but I can assure you it makes no difference.

I am at the stage of probably shifting from them as I am finding they are getting worse and worse especially since the Car-phone Warehouse took them over.

Default Computer on slow go

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    If it's only your internet experience that is slow, I'd suggest it might just be down to your ISP. AOL aren't the most reliable of ISPs out there.

Can you run a speed test at www.speedtest.net and report the findings?

Another thing it could be is spyware. What anti-virus/anti-spyware software do you run?
    I have done a defrag and it has helped a bit. I have got McAFFE Security centre and AOL spyware. I think it is proberbly my server as you suggested.
    I am over due for a change as I am paying £32.98 a month for the Aol and McAfee and I am sure every body is getting a much better deal than me.
    Thanks again for your advice.

Mizpah gives some good advice above. I know little about AOL so it's good to have that perspective too.

Bobinovich suggested something similar earlier on in the thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Oops, sorry just realised you're on AOL so probably using their own browser. Just ignore the above!
    I think the internet options for IE7 also affect the AOL's browser settings. I use both and my alterations to IO affect both.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default Computer on a go slow

I think you are right Mizpah, mine seems to have speeded up this morning so I would guess that they are having trouble with volume.I am going to phone them just now and see if they agree that I am not getting value for money.
    Once again thanks for all the help

I have just done a speed test as recomended last night and useing aol it dowloaded at 4800 and upload of 326 and tried it with exploaer as recomended by mizpah and it downloaded at 6851 and upload at 354.
    When I tried to do this test last night as reccomended by metalattakk it did not even load the page for me to do the test.

Default Go slow

I have just done a speed test as recomended last night and useing aol it dowloaded at 4800 and upload of 326 and tried it with exploaer as recomended by mizpah and it downloaded at 6851 and upload at 354.
    When I tried to do this test last night as reccomended by metalattakk it did not even load the page for me to do the test.
    Glad to have been of some help to you and I would certainly get on to them as I think you are being grossly over charged, I had the same problem last year and when I challenged them on it they were able to cut the cost by a large amount so I would advise yiu to go for it although I am still thinking of changing from them to another provider but the trouble is I do not know which one to go for as you hear good and bad about them all.

I phoned AOL and had a very long and fruitless chat with Alnawaz I guess in India which concluded with can you put me through to your disconection department.I then went through the same routine with a Patrick in Waterford Ireland. I explained to Patrick that £29-98 a month was in my opinion much to expensive for the service I was receiving and would like to discontiue my relationship with AOL.He then suggeted that he could downgrade me from my Platinum deal and I would only have to pay £17-98. When I asked what difference it would make to my service ,he said I would get exactly what I get now. However they want me to sign a new 18 month contract. I sought of get the imprestion I have been shafted for the last 3 years.Can anybody comment on this as I feel about ready to tell them to get stuffed.

Do it - you know you want to , then you can join the "We Hate AOL" Club!

Default Go slow

I phoned AOL and had a very long and fruitless chat with Alnawaz I guess in India which concluded with can you put me through to your disconection department.I then went through the same routine with a Patrick in Waterford Ireland. I explained to Patrick that £29-98 a month was in my opinion much to expensive for the service I was receiving and would like to discontiue my relationship with AOL.He then suggeted that he could downgrade me from my Platinum deal and I would only have to pay £17-98. When I asked what difference it would make to my service ,he said I would get exactly what I get now. However they want me to sign a new 18 month contract. I sought of get the imprestion I have been shafted for the last 3 years.Can anybody comment on this as I feel about ready to tell them to get stuffed.
    I did warn you as I thought that would happen the only thing I am sorry about now is that I took them up on their offer instsead of telling them where to go.

I have been in touch with them today and it was a could not care less attitude so there is no doubt in my mind now that I will be away from them before long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast