Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should switching off street lighting be considered for saving energy?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 43.06%
  • No

35 48.61%
  • Don't Care, Rheghead, stop this eco-rubbish, I'm bored of it now !!

6 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch Off the Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Laddie View Post
    Do people read links before they post!!!!!

Nope!!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Urban motorway lighting could be turned off in the early hours - cars have powerful headlights after all...most rural motorways are unlit so whats the difference?

im confused now.. i dont live in the town center, i do live in the town though.. but if you walk a few streets up the way you are outside the town.. and its pitch black. i was just thinking about walking bubbles at night. when you go up the trinkie road their are no lights at all, and let me tell you .. walking a black dog in the dark.. not easy! *G*
    but i was under the assumotion that the town center is the town center not the residential areas around it? i may be totally lost and cluless as usual, but sorry if ive gotten it wrong.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Laddie View Post
    A councillor wants at least half of the street lamps in the Highlands, outwith town and city centres, to be switched off to cut emissions and costs.

Do people read links before they post!!!!!
    I wonder did the councillor think before he opened his mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Obviously the carbon footprint of Highland Council is starting to bite deeper into their conciences or pockets.

What do you think, should street lighting be turned off to save energy where possible?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7271428.stm
    I don't think this is about saving energy, I think it is about wasting energy.
    ywy2

I think the comfort and safety the lights give are pretty important too. Think of the insurance claims, all that paperwork and extra computer time would more than likely leave an even bigger carbon footprint
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Default Switch off the lights

Interesting debate with many different opinions. I have spent most of my working life out in the sticks without any lighting and because it was never their we never thought about..We had a intruder light and a dog and never encounterd any problems with security for the 25 years we lived in the same house.I now live in a house in a street and I am just getting used to having a light outside the house. I enjoy the night skys when it is clear and have to drive out towards Sibster forrest to get away from light pollution to really enjoy star gazing.I think it would be a good idea to try a suck it and see approach and try several different ways IE switch every other light off or try a street for few days to see how people feel about, and then have a debate.
    You never know you might just like it.

Switching of some streetlights after midnight in urban areas used to be the norm, and that was when lights on side streets had nothing more than a normal sized domestic bulb.
    It says a lot about the amount of wasted electricity when you realise that the glow from most large towns and cities can be seen from up to 30 miles away.
    I fail to see the point of me rushing round the house making sure all the lights are switched off and nothing is left on standby when the average street is blazing away all night using more electricity than I have just saved. Apart from saving money on my Electricity Bill that is.
    I'm surprised how many people seem so terrified of a little bit of darkness, I had got over that long before the age I started school.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Isnt about switching the lights off at a certain time, when it causes the least inconvenience. I thought it was from 12am to 4am......something like that anyway, when most people are in bed, surely you cant see a problem with that?????

How about using motion sensitive street lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    How about using motion sensitive street lights?
    Swaying trees etc and the cost might be a problem.

I wonder if there was a crimewave when the war blackouts were on?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Just shove some energy efficient light bulbs in the street lights, make the street lights shorter (not as much metal has to be made and cut! :P) Erm.. You'd probably be better off making less street lights but have them brighter than making lots of dimly lit streetlights.

Most streetlights are in place beside a footpath to make it safer for pedestrians even without towns or some even to highlight main junctions which I have to agree, does make it a lot safer and I'd hate to drive towards a big round-a-bout in the middle of darkness. If it's a road you haven't been on before, it's more than likely you'll end up flying an aeroplane over the top of a round-a-bout than going around it.

You need them in town incase you stand in some dog poop when your out

Councillor Park stays in Auldearn, which would class as outside of town. As he lives right next to the road, which is well lit for his convenience, I dare say that he did not, in fact, think before he opened his mouth. I can hardly see him creeping about his garden in the pitch black for more than 6 months of the year just to get to his front door!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Swaying trees etc and the cost might be a problem.

I wonder if there was a crimewave when the war blackouts were on?
    Probably not if all the men were sent away to fight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12