Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Flat Packs ~ Love em or hate em?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great, I love doing stuff with my hands

26 56.52%
  • Ok but I may need therapy later!

8 17.39%
  • Get someone else to do it for me

4 8.70%
  • No way, flat packs are the work of the devil

8 17.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Packs - love em or hate em?

Default Flat Packs - love em or hate em?

Just spent most of the afternoon putting together a flat packed chest of drawers, as usual I have a few screws, nails and dowels left over but it's standing and looking just the picture. I quite enjoy putting them together when they go well but inevitably one bit always goes wrong, this one was missing two pilot holes. I bought one a few months back only to discover there were no instructions in the box, it was a challenge and I quite enjoyed it.

So flat packs, love em or hate em!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

i dont mind doing them as long as im left to do it on my own...i usually get it done ..use plenty wood glue...they wont fall apart...tee hee welllllllllll
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

karia Guest

once got a garden table which turned out to have 2 holes for parasols when constructed... we just turned the other into a tumbler holder.

I get OH to do them..he had Airfix as a kid!

Do you think they put all the bits in the pack and then work out which ones to remove on the basis of which will cause you most hassle?

I think they are in cahoots with B&Q since we always end up there for necessary bits and bobs.

cant stand them..Prefer real wood as you know what you are getting.....

better than having to deal with flat pieces, which you spend ours on only to find a few screws missing.....

karia Guest

We know someone who bought a self assembly glass shelving unit and when they got it home the middle shelf was just fragments of glass that looked like it had been attacked with a toffee hammer.

They took it back to the shop...and the assistant looked at it and suggested that they glue it!

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    We know someone who bought a self assembly glass shelving unit and when they got it home the middle shelf was just fragments of glass that looked like it had been attacked with a toffee hammer.

They took it back to the shop...and the assistant looked at it and suggested that they glue it!

well they do say that the AA have a good glass sealer.

in my experience of flat packs they are awful once they go together you can never move them again without them breaking .. worst has to have been wardrobes or drawers with flimsy backs or bottoms in my opinion you get what you pay for i would rather save a little longer and get a good solid piece of furniture.

recently we did buy a homebase shed and it was really flimsy , hubby had to buy aload of wood to reinforce the walls , he could have done a better job of making one himself

Quote Originally Posted by mums angels View Post
    in my experience of flat packs they are awful once they go together you can never move them again without them breaking .. worst has to have been wardrobes or drawers with flimsy backs or bottoms in my opinion you get what you pay for i would rather save a little longer and get a good solid piece of furniture.

recently we did buy a homebase shed and it was really flimsy , hubby had to buy aload of wood to reinforce the walls , he could have done a better job of making one himself
    They are the resons why we dont like them...Some are decent looking in the brochure but you get them home and they are flimsy and never goes together perfectly...
    Unfortunately we do have some but that is more for convienience than love of them....

I have built a lot of flat pack stuff.

The key to success is to use the fixings supplied, but double up everything with other screws/nails/glue.

I have yet to hear of anything I have made come to bits.

Overkill, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    well they do say that the AA have a good glass sealer.
    Justine, would that be AA Automobile Association
    or AA Alcoholics Anonymous
    It's an accident of life to be born a gentleman
    It’s an achievement of life to die a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Laddie View Post
    Justine, would that be AA Automobile Association
    or AA Alcoholics Anonymous

I meant Automobile Association but you could take it either, they both deal in glass......

I hate them and my son whose a joiner hates them even more than I do.
    He dreads me buying in anything flat pack because he knows he'll have to put it up.
    Instuctions what instuctions.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

i love making flat pack things as long a the other half doesnt stick his oar in and make out he can do a better job than me and if we attempt to do it together(flat pack i mean) then we end up nearly killing each other.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    i love making flat pack things as long a the other half doesnt stick his oar in and make out he can do a better job than me and if we attempt to do it together(flat pack i mean) then we end up nearly killing each other.

With you one that one had to take down dunk beds after my other half "helped" me to put them together wrong.
    Last edited by footie chick; 01-Mar-08 at 00:38.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by footie chick View Post
    With you one that one had to take down dunk beds after he "helped" me to put them together wrong.
    pardon you have got me a little confusedconfused
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    pardon you have got me a little confusedconfused

OH tried to help me make the bunk beds ended up having to take them apart thanks to his "help"
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Flat packs are the spawn of the devil.Have ye noticed the most complicated ones with all the instructions and hundreds aw bits are so easy to put together.See the easier ones with 2 or 3 pieces.......Murder I tell ye Murder......I have the blisters to show it.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

It all depends on luck I think. I have bought stuff at a range of prices over the years and had good and horrible experiences with both cheap and dear ones. Worst ever was an Ikea wardrobe/dresser thing I bought my daughter when she moved to Sydney to study. None of the drilled holes matched up, and the hole sizes were often off so either the screw wouldn't go in, or it wouldn't grip when screwed in. It took me about a day and a half! Worst of all, after I was done, I grumbled to her about this "cheap Scandinavian %^&*", and then noticed on the bottom of the instructions it said "Made in the UK"!!!

Bought flat packed chest of drawers from Lidl's with no instructions was the easiest thing to put together. Sometimes instructions are soo confusing
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by footie chick View Post
    Bought flat packed chest of drawers from Lidl's with no instructions was the easiest thing to put together. Sometimes instructions are soo confusing
    Instruction manuals and flatpacks....
    "please take 10mins to read instructions carefully"

and then take 45 mins to make a mess..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast