Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Some info please.....

Default Some info please.....

Can anybody tell me whether newts are found in Caithness? I am really hoping that they will colonize one of my ponds in the same way that frogs have. The only place in Highland that I have seen them is in Wester Ross, although I look in every bit of standing water I come across.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=33605

pretty certain it is correctly identified. If it is then I'd be tempted to take a walk around Scrabster Loch.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

we used to find them on the moors in Thurso when we were kids.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Ahh newts! I used to love collecting them when I was little. I found many in a small pool up beside the Mar Loch. This wee pool was full of all sorts but think it has become quite stagnant. Last time I saw some was at Dunnet forrest in the small pool at the end of the trail, this would have been about 2 years ago maybe. Use to love trying to catch them, they are quite tricky to catch in the water...very fast swimmers! This was strictly a catch and release system though

The type of newt around here is the Palmate Newt and it occurs in various shallow ponds in the Thurso and Dunnet area. They are most unlikely to arrive in your pond by themselves since they do not wander around as much as frogs do.

Thanks for all the information - I guess I can't go out collecting them, because I think they're a protected species. I have another question; I have been in Caithness now for 5 years and have never seen a ladybird or a snail in all that time, except for a couple of water snails I must've brought with me on a waterlily. I have loads of slugs, so is it that whatever they make their shells from isn't in Caithness soil? Also, do you think it would be acceptable to buy in some ladybird larvae to eat some of the aphids my garden is full of? I'm trying to be organic, but it's difficult when there are no natural predators.

I have had ladybirds, and if you have a look in the bushes round mount pleasant school you will find massive snails.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    I have had ladybirds, and if you have a look in the bushes round mount pleasant school you will find massive snails.
    i wonder why

we used to find newts at loch calder

I'm sure they can be found in dunnet forest...mind going on an expedition when I was younger and finding some in the ponds....
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Dear God, I'm obviously living in some kind of ecological blackspot, with my 2 very sad frogs and 15 million starlings who have brought synchronized bowel movements up to Olympic event level. Maybe it's because my garden is being buried under a guano mountain that nothing else wants to live here. I used to have a robin, but something ate it. Or, maybe it committed suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    we used to find them on the moors in Thurso when we were kids.
    Quite agree - saw lots of them then in the pools up on the moors beyond Pennyland.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Palmate newts are widespread in Caithness. I think they will find your pond if you are in the country. But they will not breed successfully if you have fish in your pond!

We have newts and the occasional ladybird up with usAlong with a few other creatures( not including the kids)