Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

i have just finished reading "deliver me from evil" by alloma gilbert. a true story. a heartbreaking read. cant recommend it enough.
    "One more round Micky"

Ian Rankin, Quinten Jardine, Patricia Cornwell and Mary Higgins Clarke are my favourite authors although I will read just about anything if it looks interesting enough.

"Pretend you don`t see her" by Mary Higgins Clarke had me with my nose stuck in it from beginning to end.......it was the afternoon film, one day last week on Channel 5 and I was on the edge of my seat, even though I knew what was going to happen next.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

I'm reading "The Somme" by Peter Hart.
    It's based on the recollections, war diaries and letters home of some of the men and officers who were there and is by far the most humbling read I've ever had.
    I find myself constantly wondering how I would have performed under circumstances such as those.
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    The Bruce Trilogy by Nigel Tranter absolutely fantastic, just finished it and wish I had read it years ago.
    for someone to say they...i wished i had read it years ago...must be a good read, so im going to try and find it...
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Have just finished ' The Kite Runner' I would recommend to anyone whatever your taste in lit, my wife has also just finished ' A Thousand Splendid Suns'
    Also by Khaled Hommeini she was so moved by it, a brilliant writer, reminds me of Sebastian Faulks with the ability to draw you into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by moureen View Post
    The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom,Just finished reading For One More Day by the same author they are beatifully written books.
    "For one more day" was recently done as a TV-movie on one of the US networks. Well done but a definite "where's my hankie" kind of production.

I've just finished The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls...fascinating.
    I'm just starting In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson...am hoping for some laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass View Post
    I'm just starting In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson...am hoping for some laughs.
    That was the book formerly known as 'Down Under'. You'll find it gigglesome, I'm sure, plus, you'll learn all about the Nullarbor Plain.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I have just finished 'The Seven daughters of Eve' by Bryan Sykes and I was so impressed, I have bought and started to read the follow up, 'The Blood of the Isles' by the same author.

These are fastinating books about the development of mitochondrial DNA analysis for studying human origins and the spread out of Africa of the human race. The second book is about the differences in the mDNA of indigenous British populations and the conclusions about their relationships.

Fully recommended, easy reading.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I'm having a bit of an Andy McNab moment. Just finished Bravo Two Zero and now I'm reading Immediate Action.
    Good stuff, wouldn't usually be my sort of thing.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    I'm having a bit of an Andy McNab moment. Just finished Bravo Two Zero and now I'm reading Immediate Action.
    Good stuff, wouldn't usually be my sort of thing.
    Try Nelson De Mille..same fast thriller style and as with you wouldn't normally be my thing but I love it.

Currently reading 'Two Caravans' by Marina Lewycka..very funny second novel by the author of ' A short History of Tractors in The Ukraine'.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post

Currently reading 'Two Caravans' by Marina Lewycka..very funny second novel by the author of ' A short History of Tractors in The Ukraine'.
    I've still not read the first one, karia -it's in the pile of books I keep meaning to begin - but I did read 'Two Caravans' a while ago and liked it a lot, I thought it was extremely funny. Not a very comfortable read for anyone who eats non free range chicken though!

I've just started 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' by Kim Edwards -not really my usual thing, but it's another that's been in my To Read pile for ages, quite a few folk have recommended it to me, and so far I'm enjoying it.
    Last edited by Angela; 18-Mar-08 at 09:05. Reason: Confused my tractors and my caravans there....!

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I've still not read the first one, karia -it's in the pile of books I keep meaning to begin - but I did read 'Two Tractors' a while ago and liked it a lot, I thought it was extremely funny. Not a very comfortable read for anyone who eats non free range chicken though!

I've just started 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' by Kim Edwards -not really my usual thing, but it's another that's been in my To Read pile for ages, quite a few folk have recommended it to me, and so far I'm enjoying it.
    She has a lovely blithe and touching delivery...does she not?

Will have a look at your choice for my next read.

I am reading Stephen Hawking's new book. Inspired by Jeremy Paxman's problems, it is an in depth look at men's underwear through the ages. It is called A Timely History of Briefs and is in all good bookshops.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    I am reading Stephen Hawking's new book. Inspired by Jeremy Paxman's problems, it is an in depth look at men's underwear through the ages. It is called A Timely History of Briefs and is in all good bookshops.
    If only it were true.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    I am reading Stephen Hawking's new book. Inspired by Jeremy Paxman's problems, it is an in depth look at men's underwear through the ages. It is called A Timely History of Briefs and is in all good bookshops....
    ...and some rubbish ones too.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Margaret The Queen by Nigel Tranter a bit harder to get into than the Bruce Trilogy
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

"Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. Not my usual choice but I will persevere

I am nearly finished reading MERE CHRISTIANITY by C.S. Lewis. He was British who died shortly after the finish of WW2. He started out as a non-believer but was converted to Christian beliefs along the way. He is considered to be one of the world's most respected Christian writers. He has my vote on being among the best with his ability to write about Christianity.

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

Read John Connolly The Unquiet - Great book
    Read Book1 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Runes of the Earth - WOW a heavy duty book...been such a long time since the others!!

Read A.a.attanasio - Killing with the Edge of the Moon! What a brilliant author he is!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast