Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Harbour Cafe, Wick

Default Too Much Money

We were in wick today, and was going to try out the harbour cafe, but CLOSED, must be making to much money durring the week, wont be trying again.

god surely there allowed a day off, alot of cafes are shut during on a sunday
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

people still have to eat what do u stop eating because it a sunday

people also need a day off!!

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chamb View Post
    They are offering a service and as such are entitled to decide when and if they open.

Sunday is a traditional day for businesses to close and staff to rest.

Should they open 24 hrs in case someone fancies a midnight snack? ..just because folks can and do eat late at night doesn't mean they should cater for that.

You say you won't go back and you are entitled to that choice..but as this thread shows you will be the one missing out on some excellent food.

Tesco's is open on a Sunday if you prefer to eat in their cafe!

Yes I understand people need a day off, but why not take it off durring the week, on a less busy day, familys mainly spend time together on a sunday and still need to eat, sunday for many mothers is a day off so they want to eat out so they are not tied to the stove for the 7th day that week.

If every where took a sunday off what would u say then, if u were faced with a hospital or petrol pumps closed bet you would complain. In this day and age its as bad as shops closing lunch times.

They could have a smaller menu or have a breakfast and a roast on. They could even have staggered staff that has there shifts on a rota system, where they dont have to work every sunday.

karia Guest

Yes I understand people need a day off, but why not take it off durring the week, on a less busy day, familys mainly spend time together on a sunday and still need to eat, sunday for many mothers is a day off so they want to eat out so they are not tied to the stove for the 7th day that week.

If every where took a sunday off what would u say then, if u were faced with a hospital or petrol pumps closed bet you would complain. In this day and age its as bad as shops closing lunch times.
    Firstly, you must remember that these people have families too so why should they not be afforded the same rights as you to spend time with family who work mon-fri and not be tied to their stove for that 7th day?

Midweek isn't really an option for most due to the above mon-fri worked by the majority and perhaps people have religious commitments they wish to observe..which was the original reason behind Sunday closing.

I also feel that people would be more outraged by a Thursday closing than a Sunday as it has been traditionally observed.

You agree these people need a day off but you want it to fit in with your timetable and needs..not theirs.

As to your closing point, I don't think it is possible to equate a 'meal out' with such necessities as Hospital openings from which I assume you mean 'emergency Services' as Hospital outpatient depts are closed on sundays.

Perhaps when they are a more established concern, shored up by their many happy customers they will be able to employ enough staff to open Sundays.

For that reason alone you should drop in some time they are open.

Well I have yet again expressed an opinion and dashed for it, I wont be dropping in again, if they werent fit to serve us sunday why bother another day.

Why buy a business if they arent providing the service they bought it to provide. The harbour always has people going about, possible custom??? we travelled from thurso to give it a try, after the response from other orgers and sunday is the only day I can.

Well I have yet again expressed an opinion and dashed for it, I wont be dropping in again, if they werent fit to serve us sunday why bother another day.

Why buy a business if they arent providing the service they bought it to provide. The harbour always has people going about, possible custom??? we travelled from thurso to give it a try, after the response from other orgers and sunday is the only day I can.
    Chamb, take no heed, you expressed your grievance, and I honestly thought you did it well.
    The Catering industry is a very fickle industry, as seen on these forums, they are d.amned if they do and d.amned if they dont.
    But as usual posters on here are very quick to jump down other posters throats
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Chamb, take no heed, you expressed your grievance, and I honestly thought you did it well.
    The Catering industry is a very fickle industry, as seen on these forums, they are d.amned if they do and d.amned if they dont.
    But as usual posters on here are very quick to jump down other posters throats
    Thank you, glad to see someone can accept another orgers opinion

no i make something at home

anyways i wasnt having ago just stating that just because it was closed shouldnt put you off

the majority of cafes in caithness are closed on a sunday, always have been they prob dont think they would have alot of custom on a sunday

Every Sunday the Tempest Cafes packed, I have seen us turning up there and not getting a seat so we pop back a hour or so after. then the central is always busy with people for breakfasts.

Then today in wick after discovering the Harbour Cafe was closed we went to Morags In the centre of wick, it was busy and had a kids birthday party in, so there is a demand there.

as im not in wick alot i didnt realise morags opened, thats good tho... tempest is the only cafe in thurso opened... central isnt really a cafe but i see where your coming from.... maybe contact harbour cafe... they may not have enough staff

I also see where u are coming from but, its a service they are providing, they should maximise business and see the loop holes. Hope they are reading this thread.

Went to the Chemist last Sunday, it was closed, won't be going back there, if they don't want my business on a Sunday they can do without it the rest of the week.

Also went to the bank it was closed, won't be going there again if they don't want my business on a Sunday.

Lots of businesses quite rightly close on a Sunday and its the lucky people that get the day off that expect others to work.

I worked for 5 years on a Sunday and now its the only day I spend with my family as its only the weekend when we are all off together.

I suppose the poor old Harbour Cafe are not allowed holidays either.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconbuttie View Post
    Went to the Chemist last Sunday, it was closed, won't be going back there, if they don't want my business on a Sunday they can do without it the rest of the week.

Also went to the bank it was closed, won't be going there again if they don't want my business on a Sunday.

Lots of businesses quite rightly close on a Sunday and its the lucky people that get the day off that expect others to work.

I worked for 5 years on a Sunday and now its the only day I spend with my family as its only the weekend when we are all off together.

I suppose the poor old Harbour Cafe are not allowed holidays either.
    Get A Grip is all I can Say??

Didnt post here for a arguement?

I didn't realise the Harbour Cafe was closed on a Sunday, I knew they closed at 5pm weeknights.

With the summer and visitors coming where is there a decent coffee shop open on a sunday?

Default Good food

On the strength of the possitive and negative posts, I have just treated myself to an all day breakfast down at the harbour cafe and it was very good and also value for money at £5-50.,
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

The harbour cafe is a small newly opened business and have done extensive renovations so maybe they dont have the staff or the funds to employ staff 7 days of the week. As for closing a day mid-week that wouldnt be an option as the many many hard working people who go would miss out on their breakfasts/tea coffee or lunches. So all these people should miss out because a few people think its their right to eat out on a sunday. I am a chef and i would love to get a sunday off so good luck to them!!! I really dont like working sundays, so after a busy week im sure that they are entitled to a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    On the strength of the possitive and negative posts, I have just treated myself to an all day breakfast down at the harbour cafe and it was very good and also value for money at £5-50.,
    What did you get for £5.50 had a good breakfast in Skiach for £3.50 (2 Bacon, 1 Sausage, half Tom, Fried Bread, Egg, Mushrooms & Tea)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast