Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: How big is your....?

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    You cannot compare the number of people killed or injured on the roads with a potential accident involving a wind turbine. We all choose to drive our cars, be passengers in cars and realise that we are taking risks by doing so whether from drunk, drugged, useless drivers or their vehicles that are death traps. If a developer is given planning permission to build a wind turbine near my house I have no say in the matter. Nor do I have any control over how well he maintains his wind turbine.
    We all choose to use electricity though,

mostly without a thought to how it is produced.

You DO have a choice to object to planning applications and you
    DO have a choice to go elsewhere if you dont like the outcomes and decisions.
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it.
    No taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this.
    Old Cherokee Saying

I don't subscribe to the idea that the exploding windmill is an anti-wind stunt, and to scientifically dissect a moving or still image on a website is impossible, so there is no point in attempting to do it.

However, it struck me that there was no camera shake, so it must have been filmed from a weather-protected environment.

ywy2

Quote Originally Posted by the second coming View Post
    and you
    DO have a choice to go elsewhere if you dont like the outcomes and decisions.
    How did I know you were going to come out with that old chestnut? Not if I can't get anyone else to live in my house because of all of the downsides to living next to a windfarm I can't! (Wait for it - there will be all the 'there's no evidence that a windfarm devalues property' trotted out next)!

How long has this gotten! Yes I do want an exploding wind turbine....free fireworks!
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Here are some more fireworks - last week in California. Check out the link and then click on video

http://www.kcra.com/news/15553196/detail.html#
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Here are some more fireworks - last week in California. Check out the link and then click on video

http://www.kcra.com/news/15553196/detail.html#
    It doesn't seem to pose a fire risk to anything around it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    It doesn't seem to pose a fire risk to anything around it.
    A good point because there is nothing close to it except other turbines! This is not a couple of hundred meters from housing as is proposed at Baillie and some other Caithness developments.

As for risk, you should note that the fire was filmed in very low wind conditions. I have seen photos of burning debris scattered hundreds of meters from other fires. [It may take a while to search for such photos but they are around]

GNG

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    A good point because there is nothing close to it except other turbines! This is not a couple of hundred meters from housing as is proposed at Baillie and some other Caithness developments.
    I would have thought that the developer would have assessed the risk of fire from another fire in a turbine to be acceptable given that the usual spacing distance is ~350m.

And as far as the Baillie windfarm is concerned, the nearest buildings were ~300m distant and it is puzzling why the developer kept those turbines that were closest in the final application. They could have easily mitigated a lot of the concerns by reducing the number of turbines to 15 or 14.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I would have thought that the developer would have assessed the risk of fire from another fire in a turbine to be acceptable given that the usual spacing distance is ~350m.

And as far as the Baillie windfarm is concerned, the nearest buildings were ~300m distant and it is puzzling why the developer kept those turbines that were closest in the final application. They could have easily mitigated a lot of the concerns by reducing the number of turbines to 15 or 14.
    Fire assessment (and other potential accidents) are not required to be included by developers in Environmental Statements. This has changed slowly over the years but I still think that any inclusion of risk assessment to the public from operational turbines is not a mandatory requirement but is at the discretion of the developers. The better ones include it.

Not often that you and I agree, but I am completely with you regarding Baillie. The developers could easily have mitigated the risk to neighbours and also others risks, by reducing the numbers of turbines accordingly. If the developer had, for instance, gone for 3 turbines to power an archaeological trail, visitors centre and chalets, I think it would already be in place! (The area is very rich in archaeology and history - check out the ES - and it would boost tourism)

However, the problem appears to be greed, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by rob16d View Post
    .....like/dislike of windfarms??
    i cant stand them they look like alien ships they spoil the countryside they are horrible too look at

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Windfarms

Erm,... I don't know if I like them or dislike them?

What I do know is that if I see them I stare at them - and usually land up nearly crashing the car!!! Is this common amongst car drivers?

WBG

Here is another photo as promised - similar distance to the turbines at Forss from occupied buildings

That last pic is quite worrying.....
    Smiling is infectious, You can catch it like the flu.
    Someone smiled at me today, And I started smiling too.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789