Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Connecting to broadband

Question Connecting to broadband

I have been having great difficulty connecting to broadband (Tiscali) in recent evenings. Daytime has been OK. Get error messages, usually "remote computer did not respond". Is this just a line overload thing?

Hmmm, I know of someone else who has problems with Tiscali in the evenings - especially Sundays. If so then I'm going to hazzard a guess that it's contention ratios which are causing your problem - i.e. overload, as you have guessed.

Best option, if it's causing you real problems, is to move to an ISP who has better ratios, but it'll probably be a more expensive package.

Quote Originally Posted by oldchemist View Post
    I have been having great difficulty connecting to broadband (Tiscali) in recent evenings. Daytime has been OK. Get error messages, usually "remote computer did not respond". Is this just a line overload thing?
    I assume you are still connected to the Internet and that you are getting this message while trying to reach a particular web site. If you are using a USB modem and this happens while the modem is connecting to the Internet my answer is irrelevant.

Try http://speedtest.net/ both when it works and when it doesn't. Click on the amber pyramid and keep an eye on how PING (delay in millisecs) and Download/Upload speeds vary. If you use a normal broadband subscription the performance is likely to drop significantly after 4 pm when people/schoolchildren come home.

Note that throughput monitors like speedtest.net measure real throughput and not connection speed.

I had a go at my provider for dropping below 50% but got nowhere. BT who delivers all the infrastructure, regardless of who you buy from will not consider it to be a fault until their throughput test shows that your throughput is less than 25% of your connection speed. For some strange reason what I considered a fault and BT didn't disappeared after they tested the line. It may help to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Hmmm, I know of someone else who has problems with Tiscali in the evenings - especially Sundays. If so then I'm going to hazzard a guess that it's contention ratios which are causing your problem - i.e. overload, as you have guessed.

Best option, if it's causing you real problems, is to move to an ISP who has better ratios, but it'll probably be a more expensive package.

Changing ISP to same type of contract is not likely to help a lot. All ISPs run on BT infrastructure. The real issue is as Bobinovich says contention. A standard line has 1:50. I work from home and run Voice over IP and video conferencing the whole day and night. This would stop working after 4 pm. I then upgraded to a business class line with 1:30 contention. It now runs rock solid all the time. Only snag is it cost a mere £40/month.

Quote Originally Posted by oldchemist View Post

The bold part of your post is your problem. Honestly, I don't know why people sign up for this frankly abysmal service. It must be the cheap price.

You get what you pay for. Request a MAC (and don't take 'no' for an answer) and move to a provider who isn't cheap, isn't overselling it's network to as many customers as possible (and damn the consequences), and isn't intent on giving as many of it's customers as hard time as possible.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

Check that link out, move to one of your choice, and be happy with your new connection. Almost any of those listed will be better than Tiscali.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    The bold part of your post is your problem. Honestly, I don't know why people sign up for this frankly abysmal service. It must be the cheap price.
    3 years and there was a bit of a problem last night. Had a look at their forums, seems they are now only offering super fast!! 8Mg broadband for the same price we are paying now. So if you are staying with tiscali log into the accounts area and give it a try. If your contract is up you have nothing to lose.
    If all is not lost, where is it?

Sure, try it out. But don't, whatever you do, sign up for it.

You'll be stuck with a 12 month (18month maybe?) contract and while they say you can get up to 8MB connection, what exactly will you get? Slower than dial-up most likely, because they are selling bandwidth they basically just do not have. 50:1 contention ratios don't work when you stick 300 people on the same pipe.

Of course, you'll always get someone saying "Oh, I've been with them for years and years and they've always been just fine..." but I'm afraid the exception does not prove the rule.

Read it. Learn from it. Choose a better deal.

Sure, try it out. But don't, whatever you do, sign up for it.
    You'll be stuck with a 12 month (18month maybe?)
    Never said sign up (would run a mile now a days from reading about the service) just change over for the rest of the contract, for the same price.

Slower than dial-up most likely
    Maybe just lucky

Of course, you'll always get someone saying "Oh, I've been with them for years and years and they've always been just fine..." but I'm afraid the exception does not prove the rule.
    I'll tell you again when I see you friday teatime over a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by matelot79 View Post
    I'll tell you again when I see you friday teatime over a pint.
    Indeed, I look forward to it.

And I'll tell you again to migrate to a 'proper' ISP that:
    1. Cares about it's customer base.
    2. Doesn't advertise itself to death without the infrastructure to cope with the demand.
    3. Gives a flying fig about providing a quality service.

Read the comments on Tiscali (ranked 5th worst) if you're in any doubt at all...

Edit: Oh, and if you think you'll get the same stability of your fixed 2MB line once you change over to 'Up To 8MB ADSLmax', then I think you'll be in for a bit of a shock.
    Last edited by Metalattakk; 14-Feb-08 at 01:56.

Smile Thanks

Ta for the responses. I normally turn off my PC and disconnect the modem from the phone line when not in use - perhaps I should leave it on all the time? Not an expert as you can tell!

There's no need to physically disconnect your modem from the phone line, as long as you have your microfilters in place.

Indeed, I look forward to it.
    Sorry I was in earlier today, was on a course and got finished at 14:00. Had my pint and was away home by the usual time.

Read the comments on Tiscali (ranked 5th worst) if you're in any doubt at all...
    Reading the comments I would not go near them today if I was looking for an ISP

Edit: Oh, and if you think you'll get the same stability of your fixed 2MB line once you change over to 'Up To 8MB ADSLmax', then I think you'll be in for a bit of a shock.
    You are probably right, reading their forums there are quite a few people wanting to get back to 2Mb line.

Edit: Forgot to add that their forums are now open to joe public for reading, so remember there is always someone else worse off than you and you could always sign up for a free dial-up account if you wanted to post but please don't mock the afflicted.
    Last edited by matelot79; 15-Feb-08 at 22:25.

I was checking our connection today as will be able to move to another ISP in April and checked speed at 10am & 10pm. Was 6.5Mbps in morning (which thought was ok) but at night has slowed to 2.5Mbps (which ain't great). Wife tends to use @ night whereas I use more during day and hadn't noticed the slow down she had. Upload speeds weren't too different 0.36 & 0.3 and ISP is TalkTalk which took due to good package with phone. And will get free broadband with them once they install their equipment in our exchange but of course may have moved elsewhere by then!

Have no experience of Tiscali here but know several people in Orkney who swear by it and recommend to all their friends & family.