Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few wee gripes

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    We are all so quick to criticise but we are very lucky to live where we do. There has been a whole lot of stuff posted on these boards about how terrible the town is and its just exaggerated and makes me raise my eyebrows.

Examples:

How many people living in Wick have woken up to find an intruder in their house and been bashed over the head as they remonstarated with him?
    When I lived in Wick, I forgot to lock the door one night. I was awoke to bashing at the door and when I got downstairs there was a drunk girl standing in the middle of our kitchen wanting to know where the party was and insisting it was her friends house.

Quote Originally Posted by Eve M
    The parking in Wick is dreadful! I have seen the traffic warden in Wick more often than usual I must say but it doesnt seem to have made any difference to the parking. Bridge Street and High street are a joke.
    Makes me laugh when you see the Volvo estate parked outside the bakery at the traffic lights, up from the hospital. Classic parking!

Eve M Guest

Makes me laugh when you see the Volvo estate parked outside the bakery at the traffic lights, up from the hospital. Classic parking!
    Yeah but he thinks its alright because he owns the shop

Its only happening because nothing is ever done about it !

Geo, where about in Bilbster do you live? I used to live there years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.mckenzie
    You know the three terraced houses facing the turn of for Bilbster Mains? In there. You've a one on three chance of guesing which one.

Where about in Bilbster did you live?

Angela Guest

Default Good points about Wick

I had a lodger last year who was in Wick for six months to work in Dounreay, she came from Oxford and was used to the high life in London etc.

She thoroughly enjoyed her time here and was sorry to go, everyone treated her nicely, she got to do water sports to her hearts content which she couldnt do at home and she could go out and have a good dram at the weekend without having to spend a solid fortune and in relative safety.

When she first moved in with me she asked where the house alarm was and how to work it, I burst out laughing and told her she would be lucky if I even bothered to lock the door. She was amazed that I would nip out to the shops and not bother locking the door. When she left she said that for the first time she would seriously consider moving to a smaller more remote place to live as it was such a nice experience. Personally I was proud to live in Wick when she told me this and Yes, I agree there is too much litter and dogs dirt but with a bit of community spirit or badly behaved people who are made to do it!! these things can all be cleaned up.

A dirty weeker!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    When I lived in Wick, I forgot to lock the door one night. I was awoke to bashing at the door and when I got downstairs there was a drunk girl standing in the middle of our kitchen wanting to know where the party was and insisting it was her friends house.
    You were probably more likely to get a kiss than a kicking though sweetie.

Just before christmas i came back to my flat with a friend we were very late, having been out and we had chinese food then went into the living room. To my later embarrassment i fell asleep and she let her self out. i woke up to find the living room empty and i went to bed. The next morning i woke to find my front door WIDE open ...and it opens straight onto the street... she had not shut it properly as she left. Could i have got away with that many other places? i think not

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    You were probably more likely to get a kiss than a kicking though sweetie.
    Still not pleasant having a drunk person wandering through your house in the wee hours. Anyway that's beside the point, Wick is a great little town that's benefited from some development in recent years but needs a lot more. Hopefully it'll come.

moonlightshadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sensitive

And if you want tourists to come to Wick, or to Caithness in general, then you need to advertise it. Almost no-one south of Inverness knows what Wick has to offer and many or most dont even know where it is. They know about Orkney and Skye and Inverness and have heard of John O'Groats but they don't know what's there, and some don't even know where it is for goodness' sake!
    As someone who moved from Caithness 2 years ago and moved to Cumbria, I can assure you that there are plenty of people who know where Wick and Thurso are and what they have to offer, Of course you will always ge tthe odd person who doesn't know where a place is, however you would be surprised at the amount of people who do.

When I first moved down here I found it very similar to up there, the one major difference was the beach and the sea!
    Up North you have beautiful beaches that can match any you can ever hope to see in the world, okay the sea may be cold but big deal what do people expect!

Down here the sea was warm the first time I went in it, however the beach was horrible it was more like a mud bath.

We all have to be proud of what we are and where we come from. Tourists come for a couple of months a year, but we live in the places so forget what anyone else says just be proud of your town and hold your heads up high!

All the best
    Moonlightshadow
    xxx

You know the three terraced houses facing the turn of for Bilbster Mains? In there. You've a one on three chance of guesing which one.

Where about in Bilbster did you live?
    I used to live in the first one (as you leave Wick) with the driveway, my bedroom was the one that overlooked the front garden onto the road!

Man the snow you used to get off that field, it drifted over the living room window one night. Weird. My auld hoose!

Mr Sensitive Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightshadow
    As someone who moved from Caithness 2 years ago and moved to Cumbria, I can assure you that there are plenty of people who know where Wick and Thurso are and what they have to offer, Of course you will always ge tthe odd person who doesn't know where a place is, however you would be surprised at the amount of people who do.
    Do you work at Sellafield then? I bet almost everyone there knows where Caithness is.
    Half of them probably lived there at some time, or knew someone who did.

I can assure you that most folkies south of Inverness dinna know exactly where Wick or Thurso are, and they sure won't be going there for their holidays if they have never heard of either place.

BTW I read in the paper yesterday that Dounreay is going to cost £4 billion and take 50 years to dismantle. Is that not a monumental waste of readies? Why not just seal it off and wait for it to cool down? Think how many traffic wardens you could employ for £4 billion, and how many tourist traps you could build in the area. Anyway, wouldn't Dounreay be more attractive to tourists if it's still there?

Why not just seal it off and wait for it to cool down? Think how many traffic wardens you could employ for £4 billion, and how many tourist traps you could build in the area. Anyway, wouldn't Dounreay be more attractive to tourists if it's still there?
    Are you joking?

moonlightshadow Guest

As it happens no I don't live or work near Sellafield, you don't have to work there for people to know where Thurso or Wick are.

I think you will find that if people want to travel and holiday in Britain then they will look at the map to see where a place is, they will then type that name into a search engine on the Interent and find out some information about it! Don't underestimate people and their abilities to find information about a place!!!!!!

Some people do actually like to find out about places that are on the remote side, not everyone wants big towns and cities.

Linda

Wick is always on the BBC weather map!

Mr Sensitive Guest

Why not just seal it off and wait for it to cool down? Think how many traffic wardens you could employ for £4 billion, and how many tourist traps you could build in the area. Anyway, wouldn't Dounreay be more attractive to tourists if it's still there?
    Are you joking?
    Not entirely. Surely there are cheaper ways of closing down Dounreay. How about encasing most of the hot bits in concrete, covering them with earth, and planting grass and windmills on the top? OK you might need to clear out some of the waste dumps and so on but why remove everything? Where do they put all the removed radioactive stuff anyway? Down a hole in the ground somewhere else? What does that solve? Doesn't processing or reprocessing, (and even cleaning up low level waste) create yet more radioactive goo to dispose of?

As for holidays in Wick, I know some people like holidays in remote places but that wasn't my point. They go to Skye or Loch Ness or even Orkney and they go there because they have heard of them. Surrpisngly few people have even heard of Caithness. Mike is right about weather maps though, Wick is on most of them, but they don't bring in the tourists.

Anonymous Guest

Great idea Mr Sensitive!!!!

Close down Dounreay, put about two and a half thousand people out of work, turn Caithness into an even more economically depressed area and then the tourists are sure to flock to the area to see what really poor people look like.

Personally, I'd like to see more government money spent on Dounreay, after all we give out loads of cash to the government in Council Tax and we see very little of it returned in services so why not get it back in the form of secure jobs and government contracts?

How about encasing most of the hot bits in concrete, covering them with earth, and planting grass and windmills on the top?
    Were you on Mars during all the trouble over the shaft that they dug 50 years ago to do just that?

As for the litter, get a black bag and a pair of rubber gloves, extract the digit and you know what to do...

Mr Sensitive Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    Great idea Mr Sensitive!!!!

Close down Dounreay, put about two and a half thousand people out of work, turn Caithness into an even more economically depressed area and then the tourists are sure to flock to the area to see what really poor people look like.
    No, no, no, no, Niall, you have grasped the wrong end of the fuel rod. The idea is to give the £4 billion pounds directly to the people of Caithness. If the population is 30,000 then every family of 2 parents and 2.4 kids would get close to half a million quid to spend on new enterprises, new tourist traps, or whatever they want! I may not be an expert on nuclear engineering, but I can account!

Tourists would flock to the area to see what an entire community of really rich people look like.

A pipedream perhaps, but it might have a more positive effect than simply dismantling Dounreay.

Personally, I'd like to see more government money spent on Dounreay, after all we give out loads of cash to the government in Council Tax and we see very little of it returned in services so why not get it back in the form of secure jobs and government contracts?
    Except that Council Tax goes to the Counciil, not the Government, and most Council spending comes directly from central government anyway. I think Council Tax accounts for 10 or 20% of local government spending. I believe you have a relation who might be able to confirm (or refute) this!

How about encasing most of the hot bits in concrete, covering them with earth, and planting grass and windmills on the top?
    Were you on Mars during all the trouble over the shaft that they dug 50 years ago to do just that?
    The shaft, yes, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned clearing out some of the waste dumps. You are dead right about that.

As for the litter, get a black bag and a pair of rubber gloves, extract the digit and you know what to do...
    And dead right about that too. I have seen the pix you posted. If only a few more would follow your lead then Wick would be a lot cleaner.

But if the £4 billion were dished out as I suggest, then you could afford to employ poor people from the south to keep Wick clean.

Mr Sensitive Guest

Wick is always on the BBC weather map!
    I was watching the BBC weather on TV the other night (in Liverpool coincidently) and what did I see?

Thurso was on the weather map instead of Wick!

What is going on here? First they get the trains, then the A9, and now their name is on the BBC weather map. What will they get next? The Rosebank? WHS? Weatherspoons? Old Pulteney? Noss Head? Caithness.org? I think we should be told.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12