Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of Heating Oil

Default Price of Heating Oil

I just got my bill for the refill of my heating oil tank. Shock & Horror are not the words used to describe my reaction, when I realised that the price has increased by £80 since last August!!

How on earth can the government justify that??

I get my oil from Simpson's Oil as they appear to be the cheapest but that is just a crazy price!

Your views please??
    Live the Life

Like you, just had my bill from Simpsons. It's crazy but not their fault. I would just love someone in the Cabinet to try living up here for a while on a very limited income and see how they get on. They'd soon be rushing back south to their expense accounts.

Apart from VAT, how much of our fuel oil bill is tax?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Like you, just had my bill from Simpsons. It's crazy but not their fault. I would just love someone in the Cabinet to try living up here for a while on a very limited income and see how they get on. They'd soon be rushing back south to their expense accounts.

Apart from VAT, how much of our fuel oil bill is tax?
    Pretty certain that domestic heating oil is zero duty. That's why it too has a chemical marker in it - like red diesel. So folks can easily be detected if they use it as fuel for boats or on the road.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Tell me about it, 4 years ago when we first had Oil heating we paid 17p a litre, bought 500 litres in November last year at over 37p....it costs a fortune to heat a house using oil now

V.A.T on heating oil is 5% upto I think around 2500 litres and it then goes to 17.5% (per load)

When I moved in just over four years ago it cost me £260 to fill the tank it has gone up every year and when I filled up in December and it was £438

I work full time in a reasonably paid job but it is becoming a real struggle to make ends meet.

Hi philupmaboug, how much a litre was that? as we're getting ours filled next week, hope to squeeze a thousand litres in..

Unhappy

I asked Scottish Fuels today and they said 41.39 pence per litre (7.5% increase since September) for 2000 litres. I have managed to drop my fuel oil use by about 25% over the last year by just not having the hot water on everyday - we co-ordinate when we all want showers/baths etc. There is not enough competition to make them bring their prices down.

Correction; I should not be allowed up late on my own to write messages. The actual price increase of domestic fuel oil to the customer has risen by 18% (for whatever the reasons) since September 2007 to now.
    Last edited by psyberyeti; 02-Feb-08 at 08:30. Reason: Can't do simple sums
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese

Default heating oil price

I too struggle greatly, any spare money i have i pay in to my account to try and keep up....but then another delivery looms and i'm back to square one....at least 20% of my wages goes on oil for heating and i'm finding it hard to keep a warm house and makes ends meet.

Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper. Does anyone know what a tanker holds and how many people it would take to justify this.

Economics 101:

Oil's priced in US dollars. It's nothing to do with the Government. US dollar is very weak just now. Producers want lots more dollars to buy the same amount of oil. Complicated by huge surge in demand from China and India.

Suppliers have to charge you what they pay to replenish what you just bought, or they can't buy any more, so no more heating...

There's no duty on UK heating oil, just VAT at 5% (until EU "tax harmonisation" kicks in, in a couple of years, when the UK's special concession of zero rating food, books and children's clothes will disappear as "unfair", as will the concessionary VAT rate on oil and electricity and gas. Life in the EU is going to get very, very expensive!).

For petrol, production and delivery costs are 31p / £, the retailer takes about 4p / £, Gordon Brown bags 51p / £ plus VAT 15p / £. Course, we pay more tax up here because it's a % of the fuel cost....

Your heating oil is only ever going to get more expensive, I'm afraid. In addition to weak dollars, demand and rising taxes, the Rhegheads of the world are all in favour of it becoming more and more expensive so eventually people who can't afford to heat their homes any more are forced to Save The Planet.

From abcnews.go.com:

Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company $40.6 billion on Friday as the world's biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at the end of the year.

Exxon also set a U.S. record for the biggest quarterly profit, posting net income of $11.7 billion for the final three months of 2007, beating its own mark of $10.71 billion in the fourth quarter of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company $40.6 billion on Friday as the world's biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at the end of the year
    Same thing cropped up here. It isn't as simple as a bunch of robber barons stopping your stagecoach and then galloping off into the forest with your bag of sovereigns..... however attractive it might be to think so .

We have oil and have found it so expensive and are thinking of going back to our good old fashioned coal fire.

Is coal any cheaper?

How many tank fills do you need a year?

The cheapest coal we can get is now £10.50 a bag, x2 a week plus a bag of slack/dross every few weeks equals about £90 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by saffy100 View Post
    I too struggle greatly, any spare money i have i pay in to my account to try and keep up....but then another delivery looms and i'm back to square one....at least 20% of my wages goes on oil for heating and i'm finding it hard to keep a warm house and makes ends meet.

Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper. Does anyone know what a tanker holds and how many people it would take to justify this.
    We usually get at least 3 households together to order so we are supposed to get a reduction for quantity (it doesn't show on the bill so can't really tell) but don't pay the higher VAT. Also feel we're doing our bit for the planet by reducing tanker trips.

When I first came up here oil was cheaper than Calor gas but it seems now it's more expensive. Trouble is you can't switch systems. I gave up trying to keep my house warm long ago and just pile on more clothes and run around occasionally! Right now I'm freezing so time for a run

Saffy100: "Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper"

I joined this: http://www.boilerjuice.com/ but at the time no one in area, it might have changed..

Quote Originally Posted by psyberyeti View Post
    I asked Scottish Fuels today and they said 41.39 pence per litre (7.5% increase since September) for 2000 litres. I have managed to drop my fuel oil use by about 25% over the last year by just not having the hot water on everyday - we co-ordinate when we all want showers/baths etc. There is not enough competition to make them bring their prices down.

Correction; I should not be allowed up late on my own to write messages. The actual price increase of domestic fuel oil to the customer has risen by 18% (for whatever the reasons) since September 2007 to now.
    I just got a bill for 1000l at 47.75p per litre. So looks like a good saving if you have a larger tank or can team up with neighbours.

Does anybody know how much Simpsons are charging?

Default heating oil

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Saffy100: "Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper"

I joined this: http://www.boilerjuice.com/ but at the time no one in area, it might have changed..
    Hi,

Thanks for this, i checked, but no one in the area. I checked with a "south" postcode and it came out at 40p per litre, so even if they did up here would probably be similar to prices already here.

Saffy100

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I just got a bill for 1000l at 47.75p per litre. So looks like a good saving if you have a larger tank or can team up with neighbours.

Does anybody know how much Simpsons are charging?
    My bill dated a few days ago is 41.5p so maybe that's not so bad. I was told when I first came up here that Simpsons were the best. You do need to watch out for larger quantities as the VAT shoots up so teaming up with neighbours looks like a better choice than filling one large tank.

Ah well guys the price for litre today is in the region of 59p.....yip you did read that right

In fact the woman at Scottish Fuels couldn't guarantee that it would remain at that price as they couldn't guarantee what price it would be when I got it delivered - she couldn't confirm when it would be delivered either, as she didn't know when they would get their deliveries..............good god.....get the jumpers out.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast