Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seat belts

Default seat belts

woz out and a bout on thursday when i got pulled over for not wearing a seat belt yeah i know its the law but from time to time we do forget any way got fined 30 quid. but instead off pulling the poor motorist over u would think they would have better things to do!!!!!!! way there time ehh!!!

hardly! what you were doing was against the law, belt up!
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

I partly agree, espeically about the use of police time - we motorists are little more than a cash cow.

However, I would never contemplate driving anywhere without a belt...unusually I also wear them in the truck (it is law, if they are fitted)....I do not feel 'right' if I don't belt up. I well remember the pre-compulsion days and didn't like being dictated to one bit....I can definitely see the sense in seat belts though as with crash helmets....I'm still thinking it should be down to personal choice...or not. Can't quite get my head around it <no pun>

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    woz out and a bout on thursday when i got pulled over for not wearing a seat belt yeah i know its the law but from time to time we do forget any way got fined 30 quid. but instead off pulling the poor motorist over u would think they would have better things to do!!!!!!! way there time ehh!!!

No sympathy, Sphinx.

I'm sure they'd prefer to be pulling you over for not wearing a seatbelt, than having to make the difficult visit to your family home to tell them you've been involved in an accident, and due to your lack of seatbelt, it was fatal.

Extreme I know, but very possible, and so easily avoided by wearing your belt...
    WeeBurd.

yeah i total agree way belting up but like u said the motorist is always getting it and paying the price to

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    No sympathy, Sphinx.

I'm sure they'd prefer to be pulling you over for not wearing a seatbelt, than having to make the difficult visit to your family home to tell them you've been involved in an accident, and due to your lack of seatbelt, it was fatal.

Extreme I know, but very possible, and so easily avoided by wearing your belt...
    Hit the nail on the head, girl. I'm all for freedom of choice, but not when it means other people have to scrape up what's left off the road.

I used to be anti-helmet until I had a particularly bad spill and had the chinguard of my full-face completely smashed. I shudder to think what the consequences of no helmet would have been......

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    yeah i total agree way belting up but like u said the motorist is always getting it and paying the price to
    Come on Sphinx, you can't agree with a law and then complain when you get punished for non-compliance!

Unless you think the law doesn't apply to you

dont get why u would want to put your life at risk like that
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    dont get why u would want to put your life at risk like that
    Well, staring death in the face can be difficult to turn away from for some people once they've had their first taste.
    Who's phenomenal? ...I am!

If we all abided by the law the police wouldnt need to waste time stopping us for stupid things like not wearing our seat belts. Maybe we should all realise it's our own fault the police have so much time wasted on petty crimes cause we keep commiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by newpark View Post
    If we all abided by the law the police wouldnt need to waste time stopping us for stupid things like not wearing our seat belts. Maybe we should all realise it's our own fault the police have so much time wasted on petty crimes cause we keep commiting them.

Absolutely.

What's the old saying?

"A thief is not sorry that he is a thief, he is sorry that he has been caught"

so are you one of these that also thinks it's ok to use your mobile while driving, or just have a couple of pints. or many other things that can lead to serious accidents that will not only affect you but the ones who have to pick up the pieces of the mess your decision created.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    No sympathy, Sphinx.

i second that weeburd a shunt from behind and he could have been through the windscreen .. perish the thought over something as easily solved by wearing a seatbelt
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life. -ALBERT CAMUS

aye sphinx, yer no getin a lot o support on 'iss one....

let it be a lesson til ye
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    aye sphinx, yer no getin a lot o support on 'iss one....

let it be a lesson til ye
    No, doesn't look like it. This is a job for... some kind of person who will lend support but since there are none around... I guess... I'll have to do it.

I'll admit that what Sphinx did was illegal but I don't see what everyone is getting so bent out of shape over. What's done is done. I'm sure Sphinx learned the lesson when he/she was pulled over, it's not like throwing moral lectures at Sphinx will put time back so he/she can rethink the decision.

Nobody is perfect so these things happen and they'll probably continue to happen in at least one place in the world, no matter how much you drill warnings into their heads.

I'm not supporting what Sphinx did but I think we should just lay off of him/her a bit.

P.S. Sorry about the use of both gender words, but I don't know anyone on here anymore so I thought I'd be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Flair View Post
    No, doesn't look like it. This is a job for... some kind of person who will lend support but since there are none around... I guess... I'll have to do it.

I'll admit that what Sphinx did was illegal but I don't see what everyone is getting so bent out of shape over. What's done is done. I'm sure Sphinx learned the lesson when he/she was pulled over, it's not like throwing moral lectures at Sphinx will put time back so he/she can rethink the decision.

Nobody is perfect so these things happen and they'll probably continue to happen in at least one place in the world, no matter how much you drill warnings into their heads.

I'm not supporting what Sphinx did but I think we should just lay off of him/her a bit.

P.S. Sorry about the use of both gender words, but I don't know anyone on here anymore so I thought I'd be on the safe side.

Disagree, Flair.

If you don't want to invite comment - don't post!

I really don't think anyone is going overboard with their comments, it's not lecturing, it's discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Disagree, Flair.

If you don't want to invite comment - don't post!

I really don't think anyone is going overboard with their comments, it's not lecturing, it's discussion.

Alright, Alright. Keep your hair on.

Lets face it a large part of the reason why they like to pull folks for minor traffic offences is that it does wonders for the crime stats.

If you are seen driving without a seat belt that goes down as one crime and one cleared up, so the stats are good.

If a thieving little scum bag decides to steal something - even of very minor value it goes down as a crime, and chances of detection without some work are slim, so statistically the police are far better off pulling motorists for minor offences as it makes the force look better on the league tables.

Sad but true.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Quote Originally Posted by Flair View Post
    Alright, Alright. Keep your hair on.

Ouch! No offence intended, Flair.

The point of the responses was that Sphinx admitted the fault, but then said that motorists were 'copping for it' (my words).

Something like that will draw responses, surely that's the point of posting? It doesn't mean that anyone is ganging up on anyone.

I'm off to sulk in a corner now as you've snapped at me and I'm all sad

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    Lets face it a large part of the reason why they like to pull folks for minor traffic offences is that it does wonders for the crime stats.

If you are seen driving without a seat belt that goes down as one crime and one cleared up, so the stats are good.

If a thieving little scum bag decides to steal something - even of very minor value it goes down as a crime, and chances of detection without some work are slim, so statistically the police are far better off pulling motorists for minor offences as it makes the force look better on the league tables.

Sad but true.

Fair comment Nick, but - If you can't do the time...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast