Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Gig 2008

Ahh, the children are bickering again I see!! Try and keep it positive guys
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton used to play a lot of festivals. They were prone to lots of noodling, too. Get the lad on the stage and let him sink or swim.
    How's Caithness Glasstonbury coming on anyway?
    You should be so lucky to ever witness such 'noodling'.

Villanova Junction started off as 'noodling'.

What you were getting with Hendrix was exposure to a musician composing, it was a process. Perhaps painful to listen to at times but an artist at work none the less.

I suspect you would get much more of a display of twiddly bits interrupted by more and faster muscle memory feats from any young guitarist stuck on stage with no real background in composing. I would love to be proved wrong.

Vai and Satch are crap, by the way.

If you need to know whether you have been fooled by the smoke and mirrors just take a look around the audience.

Spotty 20 year old boys? 90%? Yes, smoke and mirrors. Vai and Satch.

Reams of amazing supermodels? 65%? Talent. You are at a Blur gig.

Take a look at the state of the music industry these days...... 99% is rubbish.
    I actually think the music industry is very healthy just now....Loads of new innovative bands with a different sound & style from the next. Its just that whats played on the Radio is 99% rubbish...infact 99% is probably a bit steep!

Sorry to side track fae the point!

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post

What you were getting with Hendrix was exposure to a musician composing, it was a process. Perhaps painful to listen to at times but an artist at work none the less.

I suspect you would get much more of a display of twiddly bits interrupted by more and faster muscle memory feats from any young guitarist stuck on stage with no real background in composing. I would love to be proved wrong.

If you need to know whether you have been fooled by the smoke and mirrors just take a look around the audience.

...............Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post

Are you out of your mind? - Satriani and Vai are two of the most talented guitarist/musicians of the last 20 years imho...to make such a blatant generalisation is an insult to the majority of guitarists who grew up listening to them...on top of that the rest of your post is a rambling dirge.

guys back on track please lol

SixToOne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    "Well I was thinking more along the lines of having some real talent on stage. Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing... yeah, much better to have five average musicians on stage than one exceptional musician!
    I do agree, however, that an exceptional musician such as Lyle at the head of a band would be better still but for me it's about exposing talent to the world, not about filling the books with five piece acts.
    I made a suggestion anyway, which is more than most on here have done so far and I don't think that accusing me of 'having a larf' is a reasonable and appropriate way to respond."

now now six to one, i would like to see you gather as many bands as I did last year, thats a very rude and hurtful comment. it was a COMMUNITY gig, just because people are having an opinion on lyle watt does not merit ill will, or slanderish comments. the bands that played last year where young and inexperienced, I gave them the oppertunity to play in that enviroment to gain some more. yes lyle is a fantastic and well talented young man. but thats no reason to sell short every other young musician.

and in the end, im the one who books the bands, i will CONSIDER lyle, he is very talented, and he does need exposure, but arguing your case in such a manner wont pass over any musician on this org believe me i know lol.

like i said i will put some SERIOUS thought into this, but some people do have a point, his style for forty minutes straight is something that will struggle to keep the punters dancing and drinking and having a laugh.

but.... a guitar battle sounded interesting, something we could build on possibly?
    You're right, my response was a little abrupt and for that I apologise, however, my response was aimed specifically at Jeid who dismissed my suggestion as though it was ludicrous rather than having the courtesy of at least taking it seriously.
    When I said "Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing" what I really meant to say was that (based on what Jeid had said) he would probably prefer a bunch of mediocre 'bands' instead of talented solo artists. I guess sometimes things come out the wrong way.
    I was in no way belittling your efforts or those of the bands that played last year. The point I failed so miserably to get across was that, as a guitar player of some twenty years or so I know the difference between musicians who can 'hold' a tune and musicians who dominate their instruments. I believe that Lyle is getting very close to dominating the guitar and at his age, this level of talent is rare. For that reason I think he deserves any exposure he can get.
    All that's left for me to say is... good luck Lyle!

I think you should get a proper band who can turn out a decent hour long set to round off proceedings. Johnny Fatts would be my suggestion, along with the Howlin Gaels.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo View Post
    Are you out of your mind? - Satriani and Vai are two of the most talented guitarist/musicians of the last 20 years imho...to make such a blatant generalisation is an insult to the majority of guitarists who grew up listening to them...on top of that the rest of your post is a rambling dirge.
    Quite possibly.

Vai lost any credibility he had when he joined Whitesnake, his solo work has never lived up to the potential we all thought he had when Zappa used him. Falling off the shoulders of giants and all that...

Satch is a more earthy player, guitar god and all that but they are two a penny nowadays, and Paul Gilbert owns either or them.

I am very lucky to have seen the original VH line up and by jove what a band they were, the air was filled with expectation and bodily fluids were emitted every time Roth danced or Ed soloed.

Just about every guitar god has passed before these eyes at one time or another, from Zappa to Page to Moore to SRV to Claptout to Johnny Fatts. None of them would disappoint me the way Vai and Satch have as performers.

Sure, they are officially guitar wizards and studio legends, but please don't tell me they can hold a candle to Tony McPhee or Wilko Johnson in the hallowed art of entertaining the crowd.

As far as the rest of my post, it probably makes little sense to anyone but the annointed, a bit like yer Vai and Satch.

Last edited by Boozeburglar; 03-Feb-08 at 02:24. Reason: To add a bit about the gig thing...

Ok as this convo has dwindled off a bit i think ill help it along

Busy, whats your obsession with all the Reev comments?!?!? wheres Reev???, get a hairy sweaty kiss from Reev????

Dude.........thats our "private" time man, keep it "hush hush" yeah

....ooooooooooook moving on...

Guitar battle, um, isnt that js "guitarhero" to a live audience that isnt on xbox live..........thats what it sounds like to me

Would that even work??? im not saying i dont think it will js asking around

I like guitar hero, when im bored................

Also this topic seemed to dwindle off when Jeid gave an opinion,

If you know Jeid like i do you will know it wasnt a digg, let it go yeah guys,

This forum and its simple misunderstandings, nothing changes, hahaha

Well, thats my little speal done, carry on kids

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    I don't think that calling it "twiddling around", and "dull" is a very polite way to go about making your point. You may find guitar "noodling" a bit dull, but I find thrashing out chords pretty boring as well.
    Aye well, boring is pretty similar to dull... so you're just as guilty as me in this instance. You're entitled to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo View Post
    Hrm, what you're doing here is the same as what he's done. He's written them off as rubbish and you've claimed them to be gods. The only thing he missed out was an IMO or IMHO... which would at least make the point that it's his opinion, not gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by SixToOne View Post
    You're right, my response was a little abrupt and for that I apologise, however, my response was aimed specifically at Jeid who dismissed my suggestion as though it was ludicrous rather than having the courtesy of at least taking it seriously.
    When I said "Instead, there will probably be a bunch of mediocre bands playing" what I really meant to say was that (based on what Jeid had said) he would probably prefer a bunch of mediocre 'bands' instead of talented solo artists. I guess sometimes things come out the wrong way.
    I was in no way belittling your efforts or those of the bands that played last year. The point I failed so miserably to get across was that, as a guitar player of some twenty years or so I know the difference between musicians who can 'hold' a tune and musicians who dominate their instruments. I believe that Lyle is getting very close to dominating the guitar and at his age, this level of talent is rare. For that reason I think he deserves any exposure he can get.
    All that's left for me to say is... good luck Lyle!
    Why do I have to worry about taking it seriously? I'm not organising the event. I'm free to give my opinion, just like you. Not everyone is going to agree with everything you say. I think it'd be boring(as I'm sure many people would). You think it'd be great(as many guitar players would). I never said I'd prefer a bunch of mediocre bands. You're putting words in my mouth. I'd much rather we had a good line up of bands who could entertain a crowd. No offence to Lyle, but having seen him play, as good a guitarist as he is... he's no showman. If you're going to stand up on a stage and play on your own, then just playing guitar brilliantly isn't enough.

Anyway... on topic now. Good luck to K Dragon for setting up this year's event.

Has a PA and lighting system been sorted out yet?
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    The only thing he missed out was an IMO or IMHO... which would at least make the point that it's his opinion, not gospel.
    The fact I posted it is a clue to whose opinion it is. No need for IMO or anything else.

Another suggestion for if the Guitar Battles dont go ahead. ROCK KARAOKE! They did it on the Thursday at the Tuborg stage at Download 2007 and the tent was packed out! Was definetly a highlight of the entire weekend.

I think you should get a proper band who can turn out a decent hour long set to round off proceedings. Johnny Fatts would be my suggestion, along with the Howlin Gaels.

Quite possibly.

Vai lost any credibility he had when he joined Whitesnake, his solo work has never lived up to the potential we all thought he had when Zappa used him. Falling off the shoulders of giants and all that...

*cough* Passion and warfare...

Satch is a more earthy player, guitar god and all that but they are two a penny nowadays, and Paul Gilbert owns either or them.

Paul Gilbert sounds like a constant 32nd note Em arpeggio....

I am very lucky to have seen the original VH line up and by jove what a band they were, the air was filled with expectation and bodily fluids were emitted every time Roth danced or Ed soloed.

Just about every guitar god has passed before these eyes at one time or another, from Zappa to Page to Moore to SRV to Claptout to Johnny Fatts. None of them would disappoint me the way Vai and Satch have as performers.

Vai and Kennelly doubling "The attitude Song" at G3 surely that couldn`t disappoint??

Sure, they are officially guitar wizards and studio legends, but please don't tell me they can hold a candle to Tony McPhee or Wilko Johnson in the hallowed art of entertaining the crowd.

As far as the rest of my post, it probably makes little sense to anyone but the annointed, a bit like yer Vai and Satch.

It made little sense on a purely semantic level...

howlin gaels were asked last year to play, and i think there was a problem, nothing major, but i think the problem would still stand, could have been mixed comms.

johnny and isaac would be fantastic, but i have not asked, so if either read this, pm me and let me know.

and thanks for the good luck jeid.

lyle has been given a twenty minute slot, along with the guitar battle.

trust me, i can pull the battle off.

Default response made

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy View Post
    elastic band?
    im sure a while ago ure posts were put on here as a member of that band!

:S
    maybe im wrong though?
    yep you are wrong -have never played with this band in my life -or had any relative that does -just happen to like their music and as for their "antics" -well isn't that sometimes what 14yr olds do -it's called growing up -finding one's self-identity and this is usually done through making a few mistakes and learning from them. The person who made this comment has never made mistakes himself then?

such a shame this topic has become littered with offensive comments and the poor lad Lyle i think it is -well i feel sorry for any new and upcoming talent -some of these negative comments would be enough to shatter the confidence of most young people or new performers. seems some people just want to crush community spirit and i find it saddening and disappointing.
    mo

Quote Originally Posted by elastic band View Post
    and as for their "antics" -well isn't that sometimes what 14yr olds do -it's called growing up -finding one's self-identity and this is usually done through making a few mistakes and learning from them. The person who made this comment has never made mistakes himself then?
    Nobodys perfect, but common sense would suggest that if the 14 year olds wanted to do anything stupid, do it out of the view of the many adults that were there that day. What am i supposed to do when I see them drinking at such a young age? Keep my mouth shut? How much of a responsible adult would that make me?

Im sure if it was one of your kids you would be grateful to find out someway if they were acting irresponsibly. I was always brought up to try drink responsibly, especially when children were around.

What if the police picked up on that? There may not have been a 2nd Big Gig!

Rant Over.

Thumbs down 2008 Big Gig

Well to get this thread back on track

My main sugestion for a main headliner would be a local grown band ESTRELLA

They are local, they have gone places, they are making there way in the world, and never to proud to return to there home town.

As for other bands there is plenty out there, that are local and good, god open your eyes, you lot are head thumpin or nothing.

I dont think K Dragon is the besat person for the job, but they trust him for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    I dont think K Dragon is the besat person for the job, but they trust him for some reason.
    I had my doubts last year, as many people will see by my previous posts. However it all managed to work in the end. I hope he uses last years experiences, wether good or bad, to his advantage. Plus theres plenty of experienced people here to give him advice, should he ask for it.

All the best K Dungeons 'n' Dragons.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast