Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Gig 2008

Exclamation Big Gig 2008

big gig 2008 is in the early stages of planning.

last year was a huge success.

this year its over one day.

its an all day gig.

so initially, i am asking what YOU, the music community what you want to hear at this years big gig.

i.e. what bands you want to hear and see.

thank you.

Been thinking about it, here's who I'd like to see...

Foo Fighters(they'll be in Europe doing warm-up shows for the Big Gig)
    Muse(writing a new album, good chance to debut the new songs)
    Nirvana(with Kurt)
    Led Zep(they are rumoured to be touring)
    Metallica(they’re booking festivals)
    Queen (with Freddie Mercury)
    GNR (Original Line Up)
    AC/DC

right on that.

got any contact numbers?

and could you lend me a sub?

lol.

oh flip! I had all those numbers on ma old phone but I flogged it on t'internet to one of them phone recycling companies!

hmmmm not really sure what bands I want to hear, I mean theres a lot of good bands who played last year but I've not heard of any new bands coming about since then. I fair enjoyed Pepsi's massive long named band (the name of which escapes me) who played n 2006. How many bands are you looking for?

Are there any plans to bring up a main headline act from the south like someone mentioned before?

If it is going to be a one day thing, I really think you should consider having it away from town centres, have it somewhere in a large field area with a large barn, have an indoor and outdoor set up incase of bad weather and play later in the evening to say 2a.m. That way you can start later so the bands at the bottom of the bill have more chance of getting some spectators.

I think the idea of having a big gig for Caithness and their bands and then to have a band from down south to headline it is not very fair on local musicians. How about better to organise a super group of local musicians to round of the evening, get them to rehearse an 8 song set, or gather round and find 6 to 8 songs they all already know and put them at the top of the bill.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to go again, but would definately expect to hear No Exit Wound, Astronot, Empty Fortune and the other usual suspects, and would also like to see Howlin' Gaels and Sutherland and Son and Whisky play at it.

well the powers that be are requesting a more varied set of bands.

so anything from blues to folk.

the best place we can have locally is the dammies. there are other parties involved.

i have already thought of a few groups, but i really need the suggestion of the people.

im taking note of all the groups asked for (especially jeids lol)

keep em coming.

woops, forgot to say.

the biggest question i have for you all is...

do you want less bands and more slot time, or same set up as last year, more bands, shorter slot time.

PLEASE CONSIDER: the punters perception.

Personal punter's viewpoint:

Less bands, more slot time. Means less change-over hassle, and the established bands get the chance to really work the crowd for the benefit of the crowd. The less established bands then get the chance to learn how to work the crowd.

As for line-up? God, who knows. I'd like Astronot and Crimson Tide for definite.

How you can expect a massively varied line-up, I do not know? There are very few folk acts, or even blues acts out there, and even so, how many folk fans are going to sit through the deafening Crimson Tide waiting for their favourites to appear, and likewise, how many Crimson Tide fans are going to hang around while some stuffy folk trio warble on? Diversity is a utopian ideal, I feel.

Mind you, as long as thon hippy geezer who played the keyboards on his own at the first Big Gig gets another shottie, I'll be happy.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

A punter and a player's perspective:
    An hour is about the right amount of time for the bands playing throught the day, a bit longer for the 2 or 3 headliners.
    As for varied, yeah its a good idea, as long as they have an appropriate block in the day, group genres together to get the full biased crowd at that time. but also bear in mind the age of the fans, e.g. i reckon the folk lot wont want to stay late, and the age group who will be there later on will be more appreciative of say, ct and astronot.
    could do with a stand that sold blow up chairs or sumit, all that standing around.....
    Who is organising it this year?
    I will be most likely entering a band, you know me, as much stage time as i can get!!

The Shee are doing festivals. One of the best all-female folk bands around. It'll cost you, though, but no-one would be disappointed.

www.myspace.com/theshee

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    A punter and a player's perspective:
    An hour is about the right amount of time for the bands playing throught the day, a bit longer for the 2 or 3 headliners.
    As for varied, yeah its a good idea, as long as they have an appropriate block in the day, group genres together to get the full biased crowd at that time. but also bear in mind the age of the fans, e.g. i reckon the folk lot wont want to stay late, and the age group who will be there later on will be more appreciative of say, ct and astronot.
    could do with a stand that sold blow up chairs or sumit, all that standing around.....
    Who is organising it this year?
    I will be most likely entering a band, you know me, as much stage time as i can get!!
    You've clearly never been to a folk festival, then... or at least one I've been to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Been thinking about it, here's who I'd like to see...

Foo Fighters(they'll be in Europe doing warm-up shows for the Big Gig)
    Muse(writing a new album, good chance to debut the new songs)
    Nirvana(with Kurt)
    Led Zep(they are rumoured to be touring)
    Metallica(they’re booking festivals)
    Queen (with Freddie Mercury)
    GNR (Original Line Up)
    AC/DC
    If you can bring back Freddie, why not Bon ?

I think the idea of having a big gig for Caithness and their bands and then to have a band from down south to headline it is not very fair on local musicians.

There always seems to be a fair few folk goin' to these gigs but wouldn't it be class if it was packed? I cant speak for all local musicians but I know I'd rather play 2nd last (or before) to a packed field than last to a considerably smaller crowd and gettin' to Headline! Assuming the chosen band could pull a big crowd, of course!
    Last edited by theboysintheband; 25-Jan-08 at 17:28.

Quote Originally Posted by theboysintheband View Post
    I cant speak for all local musicians but I know I'd rather play 2nd last (or before) to a packed field than last to a considerably smaller crowd and gettin' to Headline! Assuming the chosen band could pull a big crowd, of course!
    Totally agree with you, Empty Fortune played 2nd last on the Friday night last year, and it was good fun even if a lot of the crowd may not have been there to see us specifically. Plus it also gave me enough time to pack up ma gear and get masel to skins after the gig finished.

Quote Originally Posted by MR Music View Post

do you want less bands and more slot time, or same set up as last year, more bands, shorter slot time.
    Judging by the changeover times last year, 15 minutes was a fraction too long for changeovers (a lot of standing about once it had all been done, but doing it in 1 hour slots was simplest idea. So prob give each band 50 minutes to play and 10 minute changeover time. Then maybe give the last 2 bands a tad longer to play, say 1 hour then 1 and a half hours. The more experienced bands were a LOT quicker at changing over and getting levels sorted last year.

Talking

good good.

well i will go with shorter at start and longer towards end.

well the powers that be had said that many punters "wanted more variation" than last year.

but i agree, there arent that many different styles locally.

a reggae band in caithness downpour...now thats classy.

its the ttia that are behind the event again.

and its me K Dragon/David J Hobbs organising it again.

Have they actually gone out and asked all the punters?

Quote Originally Posted by MR Music View Post
    good good.

well the powers that be had said that many punters "wanted more variation" than last year.

That translates to one load mouth wuman moaned and now we all have to suffer because of her.

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    That translates to one load mouth wuman moaned and now we all have to suffer because of her.
    I don't think that variation means we will have to suffer.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast