Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hill Family

lindsey Guest

Default Hill Family

Does anyone out there know anything about the Hill family? They lived in the Watten area during the 1700s and 1800s and have connections with the following places - Lynegar,Bylbster,Forss,Lybster,Bardnaclaven,Kanzar y. I know Hill is not a common name in the area and my grandmother said that it was of Hugenot origin - (Hillier?) - but I have not been able to confirm this one way or the other. Does anyone know if Hugenots ever settled in this area of Scotland?
    I would be delighted to hear from anyone who thinks they know anything at all about the Hill family. My great great grandfather George Hill settled in Edinburgh but was born in Thurso (1822).
    Relevant names may be
    William Hill (Lynegar) married Elizabeth Fairweather (North Dun) August 5th 1768
    James Hill (Kanzary) married Jane McKinlay (Toftingall) 5th July 1805

Many thanks! Lindsey

Cool Re. Hill Family

Hi Lindsey,

I have been unable to contact you direct because this site will not recognise any of my e-mail addresses, so my friend Russell has let me use his account.
    I am a descendant of George Hill & Margt Ramsay also. My mother's maiden name is Hill and she is a gt, gt gddau of George & Margt.
    Can you contact me on my own e-mail address at ellerydesign@yahoo.co.uk please. I have lots of info on the Hills of Caithness, Edinburgh, etc.
    Many thanks & look forward to hearing from you soon.

Craig